SUSE won't believe me - Suse

This is a discussion on SUSE won't believe me - Suse ; Yesterday, I saw that Firefox 2.0.0.8 was available, and my openSUSE 10.3 hadn't even offered an update to 2.0.0.7 yet, so I took the bull by the horns and downloaded and installed 2.0.0.8 directly from Firefox's site. Today, my openSUSE ...

  1. SUSE won't believe me

    Yesterday, I saw that Firefox 2.0.0.8 was available, and my openSUSE 10.3
    hadn't even offered an update to 2.0.0.7 yet, so I took the bull by the
    horns and downloaded and installed 2.0.0.8 directly from Firefox's site.
    Today, my openSUSE Updater told me that there were two security patches
    available, and one of them was Firefox 2.0.0.8

    I unchecked that one, and downloaded the other security patch. Then, the red
    nag button kept telling me that there was another security patch waiting:
    Firefox 2.0.0.8, so I let it go through the motions of pretending to
    download and install what I already had! It is just like trying to stop the
    nagging of a woman. ;-)

    Godzilla

  2. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    Godzilla wrote:
    > I unchecked that one, and downloaded the other security patch. Then, the red
    > nag button kept telling me that there was another security patch waiting:
    > Firefox 2.0.0.8, so I let it go through the motions of pretending to
    > download and install what I already had! It is just like trying to stop the
    > nagging of a woman. ;-)

    Well, that is what happens if you do something behind a womens back. ;-)
    If you intend to not use YOU or whatever it is called, you should tell
    it so. The fact that it still believed it had an other version then the
    one YOU downloaded seems logical to me.

    A person can and will look at what it actualy says and will be able to
    draw conclusions from it. e.g. we click on help then on about and we see
    what is it says and we will remember wether or not this is about right,

    What you did was install Firefox with YaST. YaST then made a database
    with what it installed. You then decided to install another version,
    most likely without YaST and did not update the database.

    As YaST will look at the database, it will think the old data is still
    there and correctly points out that you have an older version.

    So what is the right way to go about this? Either you let YaST do the
    updates, or if you don't want it to, tell it that it should exclude
    packages you desire to maintain yourself.

    Don't blame openSUSE for something YOU have done yourself.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  3. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I saw that Firefox 2.0.0.8 was available, and my openSUSE 10.3
    > hadn't even offered an update to 2.0.0.7 yet, so I took the bull by the
    > horns and downloaded and installed 2.0.0.8 directly from Firefox's site.
    > Today, my openSUSE Updater told me that there were two security patches
    > available, and one of them was Firefox 2.0.0.8
    >
    > I unchecked that one, and downloaded the other security patch. Then, the
    > red nag button kept telling me that there was another security patch
    > waiting: Firefox 2.0.0.8, so I let it go through the motions of pretending
    > to download and install what I already had! It is just like trying to stop
    > the nagging of a woman. ;-)

    where can i found a rpm for openSUSE 10.3 over mozillas website?
    you installed over the source i believe ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:00:25 -0500, Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I saw that Firefox 2.0.0.8 was available, and my openSUSE
    > 10.3 hadn't even offered an update to 2.0.0.7 yet, so I took the bull by
    > the horns and downloaded and installed 2.0.0.8 directly from Firefox's
    > site. Today, my openSUSE Updater told me that there were two security
    > patches available, and one of them was Firefox 2.0.0.8
    >
    > I unchecked that one, and downloaded the other security patch. Then, the
    > red nag button kept telling me that there was another security patch
    > waiting: Firefox 2.0.0.8, so I let it go through the motions of
    > pretending to download and install what I already had! It is just like
    > trying to stop the nagging of a woman. ;-)
    >
    > Godzilla

    So now you probably have two installs of Firefox 2.0.0.8. SUSE will only
    know about and update the one it installed in /usr/lib/firefox.

    Don't worry though. Mozilla will update the other one. ;-)

    JohnK

  5. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:56:39 +0000, EOS wrote:

    > where can i found a rpm for openSUSE 10.3 over mozillas website? you
    > installed over the source i believe ;-)

    Why don't you go into Yast -> Software -> Community Repositories and
    activate the Mozilla one?

    JohnK

  6. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    JohnK wrote:

    > Why don't you go into Yast -> Software -> Community Repositories and
    > activate the Mozilla one?

    that's my point ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  7. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    houghi wrote:

    > As YaST will look at the database, it will think the old data is still
    > there and correctly points out that you have an older version.
    >
    > So what is the right way to go about this? Either you let YaST do the
    > updates, or if you don't want it to, tell it that it should exclude
    > packages you desire to maintain yourself.
    >
    > Don't blame openSUSE for something YOU have done yourself.
    >
    > houghi

    Interestingly, when openSUSE 10.3 installed the first Firefox 2.0.0.6,
    the "Automatically check for updates to Firefox" was grayed out.
    Perhaps that is the reason that I was never offered an update to 2.0.0.7.
    When I updated to 2.0.0.8 myself, that option is now valid, and remains so
    even after the ambiguous open SUSE repeat update.

    In Texus, we done got a saying: "Never trust no wimmin!" ;-)

    Godzilla

  8. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    Godzilla wrote:

    > When I updated to 2.0.0.8 myself, that option is now valid, and remains so
    > even after the ambiguous open SUSE repeat update.

    > Godzilla

    That is certainly not the version you installed with YAST. I have Firefox
    2.0.0.8 installed with YAST and it does ot have that option, which sounds
    logic as it is updated via YAST.

    --
    Gruß Guybrush

    OpenSuse (linux) 10.3. 64bit, KDE3.5.7 auf AMD Athlon64 3200+, 1GB RAM

  9. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:

    >> When I updated to 2.0.0.8 myself, that option is now valid, and remains
    >> so even after the ambiguous open SUSE repeat update.

    >> Godzilla

    > That is certainly not the version you installed with YAST. I have Firefox
    > 2.0.0.8 installed with YAST and it does ot have that option, which sounds
    > logic as it is updated via YAST.

    Godzilla is now using Mozilla version of Firefox.
    That is the reason update option is not grayed out.
    The openSUSE version is now sitting in the corner ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  10. Re: SUSE won't believe me

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:41:32 -0500, Godzilla wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> As YaST will look at the database, it will think the old data is still
    >> there and correctly points out that you have an older version.
    >>
    >> So what is the right way to go about this? Either you let YaST do the
    >> updates, or if you don't want it to, tell it that it should exclude
    >> packages you desire to maintain yourself.
    >>
    >> Don't blame openSUSE for something YOU have done yourself.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Interestingly, when openSUSE 10.3 installed the first Firefox 2.0.0.6,
    > the "Automatically check for updates to Firefox" was grayed out. Perhaps
    > that is the reason that I was never offered an update to 2.0.0.7. When I
    > updated to 2.0.0.8 myself, that option is now valid, and remains so even
    > after the ambiguous open SUSE repeat update.
    >
    > In Texus, we done got a saying: "Never trust no wimmin!" ;-)
    >
    > Godzilla

    Round here, we got a sayin: Never trust no peckerheads from Texas. Steers
    and queers comes from Texus!

    --
    Rupe

+ Reply to Thread