10.2 to 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.2 to 10.3 - Suse ; Dear Readers, I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble? Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 10.2 to 10.3

  1. 10.2 to 10.3

    Dear Readers,

    I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?

    Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any fuzz
    about the new version?

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  2. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > 14
    > Dear Readers,
    >
    > I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    > upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?
    >
    > Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any fuzz
    > about the new version?


    Why upgrade?
    i mean, why do you do that? everything works OK for you so.........
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  3. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:25:57 +0200, Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > Dear Readers,
    >
    > I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    > upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?
    >
    > Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any
    > fuzz about the new version?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Peter


    Just stay with 10.2. There is no compelling reason to upgrade, I did and see no
    major improvements. I did run into a couple of problems but they were easily
    fixed. I see nothing of value in 10.3, the much ballyhooed improvement in boot
    time is non-existent for me and nothing else seems to have changed much. It is
    about the same for me but I am too lazy to switch back.

    Testy



    --
    Become more Balanced www.shapeyourworld.ca

  4. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    EOS wrote:
    > Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >
    >> 14
    >> Dear Readers,
    >>
    >> I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    >> upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?
    >>
    >> Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any fuzz
    >> about the new version?

    >
    > Why upgrade?
    > i mean, why do you do that? everything works OK for you so.........


    So what you are saying is ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  5. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Testy wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:25:57 +0200, Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Readers,
    >>
    >> I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    >> upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?
    >>
    >> Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any
    >> fuzz about the new version?
    >>
    >> Kind Regards,
    >>
    >> Peter

    >
    > Just stay with 10.2. There is no compelling reason to upgrade, I did and see no
    > major improvements. I did run into a couple of problems but they were easily
    > fixed. I see nothing of value in 10.3, the much ballyhooed improvement in boot
    > time is non-existent for me and nothing else seems to have changed much. It is
    > about the same for me but I am too lazy to switch back.
    >
    > Testy
    >
    >
    >

    What about all the new pretty pictures?

  6. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Testy wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:25:57 +0200, Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Readers,
    >>
    >> I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable
    >> to upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?
    >>
    >> Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any
    >> fuzz about the new version?
    >>
    >> Kind Regards,
    >>
    >> Peter

    >
    > Just stay with 10.2. There is no compelling reason to upgrade, I did
    > and see no major improvements. I did run into a couple of problems but
    > they were easily fixed. I see nothing of value in 10.3, the much
    > ballyhooed improvement in boot time is non-existent for me and nothing
    > else seems to have changed much. It is about the same for me but I am
    > too lazy to switch back.
    >
    > Testy


    I disagree! I would say that for a new user it is an altogether more
    satisfactory experience. Certainly having access to a broadband
    connection and having repositories setup for you makes it a lot easier
    to get the stuff that is missing because of legal restrictions. A lot
    more hardware also works right of the bat.


    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Peter Terpstra wrote:-

    >Dear Readers,
    >
    >I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here,


    Strangely enough, so do I.

    >is it advisable to
    >upgrade to 10.3


    Why "fix" something that's not broken? Always remember this phrase,
    which another poster is heard to say quite regularly:

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    >or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?


    I don't know. I've performed four 10.3 installs so far. One I trashed
    because I didn't follow the PPC partitioning instructions, so I have
    three 10.3 installs running.

    Of these, one was a gradual "upgrade" from 10.2, stepping through all
    the alphas (except one), the betas, the release candidate, and finally
    the gold master, otherwise known as the final release.

    The second was the PPC install, which was a fresh install. After I paid
    more attention to the partitioning details, and clicked one checkbox on
    bootloader configuration screen, that went perfectly well.

    The last 10.3 install was an upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3. Despite the
    large differences between the versions, the upgrade went well and it's
    now running 10.3 and all the packages that had to be removed because
    they came from third-party repositories (including some packages I'd
    built), have either been re-added with the same package built for 10.3,
    or replaced with others that offer the same functionality.

    >Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any fuzz
    >about the new version?


    Never having upgraded a Debian system, I have no idea how easy or hard
    it would be to do so. As for openSUSE, this one was very easy to do.
    However, as always, YMMV.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  8. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    David Bolt in :


    > Why "fix" something that's not broken? Always remember this phrase,
    > which another poster is heard to say quite regularly:


    Wel you have to upgrade someday and i like to be in tune with laste stable
    releases. But I would hate it if the upgade hangs and ****s my my fine
    running system.

    > The last 10.3 install was an upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3. Despite the
    > large differences between the versions, the upgrade went well and it's
    > now running 10.3 and all the packages that had to be removed because
    > they came from third-party repositories (including some packages I'd
    > built), have either been re-added with the same package built for 10.3,
    > or replaced with others that offer the same functionality.


    Okay, i think this is what i wanted to know, i have al lot of compiled rpms
    here so i need to do that again. If there are furter no complications
    known, i think i go for the upgrade. Or maybe its better to wait a few
    mounths until the most bugs are found(?).

    > Never having upgraded a Debian system, I have no idea how easy or hard
    > it would be to do so. As for openSUSE, this one was very easy to do.
    > However, as always, YMMV.


    A Debian upgrade is in most cases no more than the command `apt-get
    dist-upgrade'. Seldom trouble with upgrades.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    .... And everybody else, thanks for the answers!


    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  9. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Peter Terpstra wrote:
    > Dear Readers,
    >
    > I have a excellent working 10.2 openSuSE system here, is it advisable to
    > upgrade to 10.3 or can i aspect (a lot of) trouble?


    NO No NO NO NO
    >
    > Isnt it an idea to upgrade just like the Debians do, just without any fuzz
    > about the new version?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Peter
    >


    I have a beautiful working 10.2 and 10.3 upgrade trashed it.

  10. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Broderick Crawford in <471e7bef$0$32476$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> :


    > I have a beautiful working 10.2 and 10.3 upgrade trashed it.


    Where did it go wrong?

    P.


    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  11. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    Oh yes! I did that myself the other day. Luckily I managed
    to save my data.

    The term computer science is a misnomer. It should be called
    'creative computing'. Like a fine painting, adding that little
    extra can ruin everything.

    Bon chance.

    WJG


  12. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    EOS wrote:
    > Why upgrade?
    > i mean, why do you do that? everything works OK for you so.........


    This is ok for as long as they keep publishing security patches for
    your current version.

    They stopped doing so for 9.3 so I had to upgrade to 10.2, even
    though, technically speaking, I didn't have any other compelling reason to.

  13. Re: 10.2 to 10.3

    On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 20:35 +0200, Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    > > Why upgrade?
    > > i mean, why do you do that? everything works OK for you so.........

    >
    > This is ok for as long as they keep publishing security patches for
    > your current version.
    >
    > They stopped doing so for 9.3 so I had to upgrade to 10.2, even
    > though, technically speaking, I didn't have any other compelling reason to.


    EOS, Juha just illustrated your very point in that the upgrade
    was deferred clear until 10.2... So... "Why upgrade?", Juha didn't
    upgrade... until just now and only because support for 9.3 ended.

    However, I do agree, if you're running 10.2, there's no compelling
    reason to upgrade (at your option).




+ Reply to Thread