10.3 No Hard Drive. - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 No Hard Drive. - Suse ; Hi Guys, Weird one. I decided to do a clean install of 10.3 on one of my machines. It had 10.2 running just fine. I was going to just do an update but changed my mind. Anyway! The machine has ...

  1. 10.3 No Hard Drive.

    Hi Guys,

    Weird one. I decided to do a clean install of 10.3 on one of my
    machines. It had 10.2 running just fine. I was going to just do an
    update but changed my mind.

    Anyway! The machine has a SCSI HDD and an IDE DVD rom. The SCSI
    adaptor is an "Initio 9xx". I did the normal boot from DVD and
    followed along until it got to the bit where the instalation is listed.

    Partitioning: "No Hardware" or words to that effect.

    No problem. I'll use a text based install. I find the correct
    module "initio" the only one listed. It tells me that it is already
    installed. So I check by viewing the installed modules. Yes its
    listed.

    Still not able to see the hard disk. %*#$*

    Reboot, pull the DVD, 10.2 comes up as normal.

    Anybody any thoughts.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  2. Re: 10.3 No Hard Drive.

    On Oct 19, 4:43 pm, Baron
    wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Weird one. I decided to do a clean install of 10.3 on one of my
    > machines. It had 10.2 running just fine. I was going to just do an
    > update but changed my mind.
    >
    > Anyway! The machine has a SCSI HDD and an IDE DVD rom. The SCSI
    > adaptor is an "Initio 9xx". I did the normal boot from DVD and
    > followed along until it got to the bit where the instalation is listed.
    >
    > Partitioning: "No Hardware" or words to that effect.
    >
    > No problem. I'll use a text based install. I find the correct
    > module "initio" the only one listed. It tells me that it is already
    > installed. So I check by viewing the installed modules. Yes its
    > listed.
    >
    > Still not able to see the hard disk. %*#$*
    >
    > Reboot, pull the DVD, 10.2 comes up as normal.
    >
    > Anybody any thoughts.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    I wonder if it is the same problem I saw that made my DVD disappear.
    It required that my DVD be the Master and not the Slave. Maybe your HD
    is configured to be the slave too? I had no Master. That killed it.

  3. Re: 10.3 No Hard Drive.

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 19, 4:43 pm, Baron
    > wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> Weird one. I decided to do a clean install of 10.3 on one of my
    >> machines. It had 10.2 running just fine. I was going to just do an
    >> update but changed my mind.
    >>
    >> Anyway! The machine has a SCSI HDD and an IDE DVD rom. The SCSI
    >> adaptor is an "Initio 9xx". I did the normal boot from DVD and
    >> followed along until it got to the bit where the instalation is
    >> listed.
    >>
    >> Partitioning: "No Hardware" or words to that effect.
    >>
    >> No problem. I'll use a text based install. I find the correct
    >> module "initio" the only one listed. It tells me that it is already
    >> installed. So I check by viewing the installed modules. Yes its
    >> listed.
    >>
    >> Still not able to see the hard disk. %*#$*
    >>
    >> Reboot, pull the DVD, 10.2 comes up as normal.
    >>
    >> Anybody any thoughts.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > I wonder if it is the same problem I saw that made my DVD disappear.
    > It required that my DVD be the Master and not the Slave. Maybe your HD
    > is configured to be the slave too? I had no Master. That killed it.

    Thanks for the suggestion James. There is no such thing as master/slave
    in a SCSI system. 16 possible devices on a single chain, each one
    independently addressable. Though there is a priority. Device 0(zero)
    normally being the boot drive.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: 10.3 No Hard Drive.

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:-

    >On Oct 19, 4:43 pm, Baron
    >wrote:

    >> Anyway! The machine has a SCSI HDD and an IDE DVD rom.

    >I wonder if it is the same problem I saw that made my DVD disappear.
    >It required that my DVD be the Master and not the Slave. Maybe your HD
    >is configured to be the slave too?

    SCSI has no concept of Master and Slave. It uses drive IDs and,
    depending on the hardware, there could be upto either 8 or 16 devices on
    each SCSI controller. As one of these IDs is used by the SCSI controller
    itself, that leaves upto 15 device IDs available for hard drives, DVDs,
    CDs, scanners, ethernet controllers, etc.

    >I had no Master. That killed it.

    Almost all my systems have the DVD drives as the slave on the secondary
    IDE channel. Not once have I had a problem with the installer refusing
    to boot because of that. I did have a problem, quite some time ago, that
    required the use of the "insmod=ide-generic" kernel parameter because,
    for some reason, the IDE chipset didn't appear to be supported. However,
    that was only with the installation system. Once the system booted, it
    loaded the proper module and all was well with the world^W^Wthat system.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

+ Reply to Thread