how to compile a generic kernel - Suse

This is a discussion on how to compile a generic kernel - Suse ; I figured that when linux is being installed on a system for the first time then a generic cd is used to installed which does a devfs and probes the hardware for the first time for installation then mounts the ...

  1. how to compile a generic kernel

    I figured that when linux is being installed on a system for the
    first time then a generic cd is used to installed which does a devfs
    and probes the hardware for the first time for installation then
    mounts the initrd which mounts the root filesystem on the cdrom .
    Which is done by a generic kernel on cd. How can I compile a generic
    kernel and an initrd which are similar to the one on installation cd.

  2. Re: how to compile a generic kernel

    Velocity schrieb:

    > How can I compile a generic
    > kernel and an initrd which are similar to the one on installation cd.

    The kernel on the SuSE installation CD is the same one that's been installed
    later. The difference lies in the initrd. While the installation cd's
    initrd contains *all* drivers which *could* be neccessary for booting on an
    arbitrary PCr, the installed initrd just contains the drivers that are
    neccessary for booting on the installed PC.

    If you want to get an initrd with all the drivers from the DVD, why don't
    you just use the one from the DVD? It's at boot/i386/loader/initrd on the
    DVD. Just copy (with rename!) it to your /boot directory and add another
    entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, which uses *that* initrd instead of the
    installed one.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  3. Re: how to compile a generic kernel

    Velocity writes:

    >I figured that when linux is being installed on a system for the
    >first time then a generic cd is used to installed which does a devfs
    >and probes the hardware for the first time for installation then
    >mounts the initrd which mounts the root filesystem on the cdrom .
    >Which is done by a generic kernel on cd. How can I compile a generic
    >kernel and an initrd which are similar to the one on installation cd.

    The title and content of this post are at odds.
    If you want to know how to make a live CD, go look at MCNLinux, which has
    little scripts to actually build a live (bootable ) CD for you.

  4. Re: how to compile a generic kernel

    > The title and content of this post are at odds.
    > If you want to know how to make a live CD, go look at MCNLinux, which has
    > little scripts to actually build a live (bootable ) CD for you.

    Well thanks a lot actually I am not trying to make a live CD ,since I
    did not knew hot to post the question so it might have seemed odd to
    you.

    The reply given by
    Jan Kandziora
    was exactly what I needed . I had not checked my mails for a long time
    so I missed to read in the mean time

    I got what was actually I was searching for I am posting this as
    a reference if some one by mistake read this and is willing to do same
    as I did with some other distribution after reading this link go here
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...=1#post2935301

    you copy the initrd from the distribution DVD and the one on your boot
    folder inside the system
    and do as root
    gzip -dc initrd | cpio -id
    you will see a lot of directories and some executables
    do this for both the initrd's the one on boot folder and the one in
    installation media
    the difference comes in
    modules which they load
    I am not sure about the udev or devfs which the initrd on installation
    cd or dvd does .
    Actually the difference comes in the init script which you see for
    both the initrd's the init extracted from the initrd of installation
    cd or dvd
    has a linuxrc script which starts installaion by calling the installer
    which in my case was yast and in case of fedora is anaconda and debian
    has its own.
    here is one more link
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...s/ramfs-rootfs...

    Now what I need is to be able to write an init script that calls
    linuxrc or if some one can give me any link where I can get that would
    be helpful but the reply given on this forum are really correct and
    would help any one who came across this thread in my case I missed to
    read the reply since I already figured out this process but it was
    exact answer that I was searching for.

+ Reply to Thread