Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3 - Suse ; Hello, I have problems with the installation of the vpnclient program. vpnclient-linux-4.7.00.0640-k9.tar I follow the instructions of our university (Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands). However, the first round of the compilation and setup gives already problems: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

  1. Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    Hello,

    I have problems with the installation of the vpnclient program.
    vpnclient-linux-4.7.00.0640-k9.tar
    I follow the instructions of our university (Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands).
    However, the first round of the compilation and setup gives already problems:

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    linux-o328:~ # cd /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/
    linux-o328:/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient # ./vpn_install

    Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

    Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]

    In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
    kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

    Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build]

    * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
    * Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/CiscoVPN".
    * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
    * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build" will be used to build the module.

    Is the above correct [y]

    Making module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build SUBDIRS=/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default'
    make -C ../../../linux-2.6.22.9-0.4 O=../linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default modules
    CC [M] /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:12:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function ‘CniInjectReceive’:
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:292: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘stamp’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:322: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘nh’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:323: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘mac’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function ‘CniInjectSend’:
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:432: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘stamp’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:436: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘mac’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:437: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘nh’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:440: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘h’
    /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:440: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘nh’
    make[4]: *** [/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".
    linux-o328:/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient #
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

    I conclude that the first error is not finding "config.h", although this file exists in /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/
    Has anyone experience with this installation problems?
    Please help me.

    Niels

  2. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have problems with the installation of the vpnclient program.
    > vpnclient-linux-4.7.00.0640-k9.tar
    > I follow the instructions of our university (Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands).
    > However, the first round of the compilation and setup gives already problems:


    Did you:

    1. Install the kernel sources?
    2. As root:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make cloneconfig
    make prepare-all

    Try doing that and then try making it. I haven't tried the Cisco
    vpnclient on 10.3 yet... so it's just my best guess right now.

    Also, you might want to get 4.8 or higher of the client.

  3. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have problems with the installation of the vpnclient program.
    >> vpnclient-linux-4.7.00.0640-k9.tar
    >> I follow the instructions of our university (Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands).
    >> However, the first round of the compilation and setup gives already problems:

    >
    > Did you:
    >
    > 1. Install the kernel sources?
    > 2. As root:
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > make cloneconfig
    > make prepare-all
    >
    > Try doing that and then try making it. I haven't tried the Cisco
    > vpnclient on 10.3 yet... so it's just my best guess right now.
    >
    > Also, you might want to get 4.8 or higher of the client.


    Dear Chris,

    I installed the kernel sources.
    Then make cloneconfig.

    I am quite unsure about the consequences, since the kernel is something high, holy and unreachable thing for me.
    It gave some output, but make prepare-all did not work.
    However, why do these installation program not work properly?
    Anyhow, I will try finding the 4.8 version.

    Thanks and regards,
    Niels

  4. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:25:29 +0200
    Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have problems with the installation of the vpnclient program.
    > vpnclient-linux-4.7.00.0640-k9.tar
    > I follow the instructions of our university (Delft University of
    > Technology, the Netherlands). However, the first round of the
    > compilation and setup gives already problems:
    >
    > XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    > linux-o328:~ # cd /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/
    > linux-o328:/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient
    > # ./vpn_install
    >
    > Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]
    >
    > Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]
    >
    > In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
    > kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.
    >
    > Directory containing linux kernel source code
    > [/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build]
    >
    > * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
    > * Modules will be installed in
    > "/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/CiscoVPN".
    > * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
    > * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build" will
    > be used to build the module.
    >
    > Is the above correct [y]
    >
    > Making module
    > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/build
    > SUBDIRS=/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient modules
    > make[1]: Entering directory
    > `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default' make
    > -C ../../../linux-2.6.22.9-0.4
    > O=../linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default modules CC
    > [M] /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:12:26:
    > error: linux/config.h: No such file or
    > directory /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:
    > In function
    > ‘CniInjectReceive’: /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:292:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘stamp’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:322:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘nh’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:323:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘mac’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:
    > In function
    > ‘CniInjectSend’: /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:432:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘stamp’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:436:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘mac’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:437:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘nh’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:440:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named
    > ‘h’ /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:440:
    > error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘nh’ make[4]: ***
    > [/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error
    > 1 make[3]: ***
    > [_module_/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient] Error 2
    > make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2 make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    > make[1]: Leaving directory
    > `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default' make: *** [default]
    > Error 2 Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".
    > linux-o328:/home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient #
    > XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    >
    > I conclude that the first error is not finding "config.h", although
    > this file exists in /home/niels/Documents/Downloads/Cisco/vpnclient/
    > Has anyone experience with this installation problems? Please help me.
    >
    > Niels


    Dear Niels,

    Please check if your kernel sources are
    under /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-0.4-obj/i386/default due to a kernel
    update this directory may be empty.

    At my SUSE 10.2 box I get it working for the TUD but I needed this
    patch: http://victortrac.com/cisco_vpn_patch but your current error
    seems different. For my there was no need to do step 2 as suggested by
    Chris.

    Best regards,

    Johan


  5. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:52:12 +0200, Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>

    > I am quite unsure about the consequences, since the kernel is something
    > high, holy and unreachable thing for me. It gave some output, but make
    > prepare-all did not work. However, why do these installation program not
    > work properly? Anyhow, I will try finding the 4.8 version.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Niels


    Yep, been through all that. What you need to do is

    cd /usr/src/linux
    make mrproper cloneconfig prepare modules_prepare

    for some reason prepare-all does not work any more. (?)

    Then compile the latest version which works with the current kernel. (I
    downloaded
    http://tuxx-home.at/vpn/Linux/vpncli...0640-k9.tar.gz
    which works with 2.6.22)

    JohnK

  6. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    On Oct 19, 4:31 pm, JohnK wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:52:12 +0200, Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    > > Chris Cox wrote:
    > >> Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    > >>> Hello,

    >
    > > I am quite unsure about the consequences, since the kernel is something
    > > high, holy and unreachable thing for me. It gave some output, but make
    > > prepare-all did not work. However, why do these installation program not
    > > work properly? Anyhow, I will try finding the 4.8 version.

    >
    > > Thanks and regards,
    > > Niels

    >
    > Yep, been through all that. What you need to do is
    >
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > make mrproper cloneconfig prepare modules_prepare
    >
    > for some reason prepare-all does not work any more. (?)
    >
    > Then compile the latest version which works with the current kernel. (I
    > downloadedhttp://tuxx-home.at/vpn/Linux/vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.01.0640-k9.t...
    > which works with 2.6.22)
    >
    > JohnK


    Why not just install vpnc? Its premade and worked with my Cisco VPN.


  7. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:53:38 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >
    > Why not just install vpnc? Its premade and worked with my Cisco VPN.


    Never tried it. Does it support Group authentication and RSA SecurID
    tokens?

    JohnK

  8. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    > Why not just install vpnc? Its premade and worked with my Cisco VPN.
    >

    Ok. I installed and tried to run.
    vpnc

    The I enetered the, as far as I can see, the correct values for:

    Enter IPSec gateway address: OK
    Enter IPSec ID for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    Enter IPSec secret for public@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    Enter username for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    Enter password for cmoes@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK

    Finally:

    Error: either "to" is duplicate, or "hoplimit" is a garbage.
    VPNC started in background (pid: 7153)...

    What does it mean, and what should I modify in which config file?

    Niels

  9. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    >> Why not just install vpnc? Its premade and worked with my Cisco VPN.
    >>

    > Ok. I installed and tried to run.
    > vpnc
    >
    > The I enetered the, as far as I can see, the correct values for:
    >
    > Enter IPSec gateway address: OK
    > Enter IPSec ID for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    > Enter IPSec secret for public@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    > Enter username for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    > Enter password for cmoes@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    >
    > Finally:
    >
    > Error: either "to" is duplicate, or "hoplimit" is a garbage.
    > VPNC started in background (pid: 7153)...


    It is a bug. There is an incompatibility between iproute and vpnc.

    As a workaround edit /usr/share/vpnc/vpn-script replacing:

    sed 's/cache//;s/metric[0-9]\+ [0-9]\+//g'

    with:

    sed 's/cache//;s/metric[0-9]\+ [0-9]\+//g;s/hoplimit[ 0-9]\+//g'

    I can't claim credit for this - plucked it from bug report for another
    Linux distro somewhere.

    I have been using vpnc for access to my employer's network for quite a
    while now. Beats messing around compiling the Cisco client.

    Even had it running on a Sharp Zaurus at one point!

    --
    Stephen Chadfield

  10. Re: Installation problems cisco vpnclient in suse10.3

    Dear Stephen,

    Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
    It works!
    It would have been really impossible to find this this solution myself.

    Regards, Niels

    Stephen Chadfield wrote:
    > Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    >>> Why not just install vpnc? Its premade and worked with my Cisco VPN.
    >>>

    >> Ok. I installed and tried to run.
    >> vpnc
    >>
    >> The I enetered the, as far as I can see, the correct values for:
    >>
    >> Enter IPSec gateway address: OK
    >> Enter IPSec ID for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    >> Enter IPSec secret for public@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    >> Enter username for luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    >> Enter password for cmoes@luchtbrug.tudelft.nl: OK
    >>
    >> Finally:
    >>
    >> Error: either "to" is duplicate, or "hoplimit" is a garbage.
    >> VPNC started in background (pid: 7153)...

    >
    > It is a bug. There is an incompatibility between iproute and vpnc.
    >
    > As a workaround edit /usr/share/vpnc/vpn-script replacing:
    >
    > sed 's/cache//;s/metric[0-9]\+ [0-9]\+//g'
    >
    > with:
    >
    > sed 's/cache//;s/metric[0-9]\+ [0-9]\+//g;s/hoplimit[ 0-9]\+//g'
    >
    > I can't claim credit for this - plucked it from bug report for another
    > Linux distro somewhere.
    >
    > I have been using vpnc for access to my employer's network for quite a
    > while now. Beats messing around compiling the Cisco client.
    >
    > Even had it running on a Sharp Zaurus at one point!
    >


+ Reply to Thread