openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback - Suse ; openSUSE 10.3 KDE 3.5.8 22.1 My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I prefer to use Xine. Hardware: Compaq nc6400, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, ATI X1300 (mobility) Matshiba DVD-RAM UJ-842S Any thoughs?...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    openSUSE 10.3
    KDE 3.5.8 22.1

    My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I
    prefer to use Xine.

    Hardware: Compaq nc6400, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, ATI X1300 (mobility)
    Matshiba DVD-RAM UJ-842S

    Any thoughs?

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    Who Cares wrote:

    > openSUSE 10.3
    > KDE 3.5.8 22.1
    >
    > My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I
    > prefer to use Xine.
    >
    > Hardware: Compaq nc6400, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, ATI X1300 (mobility)
    > Matshiba DVD-RAM UJ-842S
    >
    > Any thoughs?

    You prefer things that suck?

    --
    Don

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    Who Cares wrote:

    > My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I
    > prefer to use Xine.

    do you have?
    libxine1
    libdvdccs
    libdvdplay
    libdvdnav
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    Who Cares wrote:
    > openSUSE 10.3
    > KDE 3.5.8 22.1
    >
    > My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I
    > prefer to use Xine.

    Define "sucks" in your context. Playback is choppy? Nonexistent?
    Please describe. There are lots of things that could cause it to
    "suck". Could be you are using the wrong video output type... could
    be many things.

    > Hardware: Compaq nc6400, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, ATI X1300 (mobility)
    > Matshiba DVD-RAM UJ-842S
    >
    > Any thoughs?

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    EOS wrote:
    > Who Cares wrote:
    >
    >> My DVD playback working great when using Kaffeine, It sucks in Xine. I
    >> prefer to use Xine.

    > do you have?
    > libxine1
    > libdvdccs
    > libdvdplay
    > libdvdnav

    I have not fooled with the multimedia stuff in 10.3, yet, but in 10.1
    and 10.2 I have had to remove xinelib in order to get libxine1 to
    activate - the SUSE version of xine may be crippled, so also delete and
    replace that with a copy from the alternate repository, just to be sure.

    I personally like MPlayer, which most distros seem to leave alone,
    except for the missing codecs, of course. I also remove the Kino or
    Totem players - some like them and they have deals that allow distros to
    work (mostly) out of the "virtual" box - so that my favorite players
    become the defaults. This "just delete it" approach is especially
    important to get Firefox integration working, as it can't be coaxed to
    use your alternatives, otherwise (at least not from the UI).

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3 DVD Playback

    Usenet Reader wrote:

    > I have not fooled with the multimedia stuff in 10.3, yet, but in 10.1
    > and 10.2 I have had to remove xinelib in order to get libxine1 to
    > activate - the SUSE version of xine may be crippled, so also delete and
    > replace that with a copy from the alternate repository, just to be sure.
    >
    > I personally like MPlayer, which most distros seem to leave alone,
    > except for the missing codecs, of course. *I also remove the Kino or
    > Totem players - some like them and they have deals that allow distros to
    > work (mostly) out of the "virtual" box - so that my favorite players
    > become the defaults. *This "just delete it" approach is especially
    > important to get Firefox integration working, as it can't be coaxed to
    > use your alternatives, otherwise (at least not from the UI).

    is you're problem solved?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be