textmode SUSE setup - Suse

This is a discussion on textmode SUSE setup - Suse ; Hello, Is there an alternative setup method for SUSE? Or some way to bypass the fancy isolinux splash screen? I'm trying to install SUSE 10.3 as an HVM guest in Xen and the setup gets stuck at: Booting from CD-ROM... ...

  1. textmode SUSE setup

    Hello,

    Is there an alternative setup method for SUSE? Or some way to bypass
    the fancy isolinux splash screen? I'm trying to install SUSE 10.3 as
    an HVM guest in Xen and the setup gets stuck at:

    Booting from CD-ROM...

    ISOLINUX 3.31 0x46f4561c Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin

    This happens when trying to install other distros whose setup also
    leverages the fancy isolinux splash screen (like Ubuntu) and there's a
    bug report for it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/83642

    What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a SUSE specific trick to
    force the installer into a basic textmode setup. I've tried passing
    textmode=1 as in:

    xm create vmname extra="textmode=1"

    But it didn't work... I've also tried the network install with
    mini.iso (openSUSE-10.3-GM-i386-mini.iso), but the result was the
    same...

    thanks much in advance, -Alain.

  2. Re: textmode SUSE setup

    ak4life wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there an alternative setup method for SUSE? Or some way to bypass
    > the fancy isolinux splash screen? I'm trying to install SUSE 10.3 as
    > an HVM guest in Xen and the setup gets stuck at:
    >
    > Booting from CD-ROM...
    >
    > ISOLINUX 3.31 0x46f4561c Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
    >
    > This happens when trying to install other distros whose setup also
    > leverages the fancy isolinux splash screen (like Ubuntu) and there's a
    > bug report for it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/83642
    >
    > What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a SUSE specific trick to
    > force the installer into a basic textmode setup. I've tried passing
    > textmode=1 as in:
    >
    > xm create vmname extra="textmode=1"
    >
    > But it didn't work... I've also tried the network install with
    > mini.iso (openSUSE-10.3-GM-i386-mini.iso), but the result was the
    > same...
    >
    > thanks much in advance, -Alain.

    If I remember correctly You have to press F3 or something for advanced
    options.

  3. Re: textmode SUSE setup

    On Oct 17, 3:05 pm, Goran Cacic wrote:
    > ak4life wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > Is there an alternative setup method for SUSE? Or some way to bypass
    > > the fancy isolinux splash screen? I'm trying to install SUSE 10.3 as
    > > an HVM guest in Xen and the setup gets stuck at:

    > > Booting from CD-ROM...

    > > ISOLINUX 3.31 0x46f4561c Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin

    > > This happens when trying to install other distros whose setup also
    > > leverages the fancy isolinux splash screen (like Ubuntu) and there's a
    > > bug report for it:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/83642

    > > What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a SUSE specific trick to
    > > force the installer into a basic textmode setup. I've tried passing
    > > textmode=1 as in:

    > > xm create vmname extra="textmode=1"

    > > But it didn't work... I've also tried the network install with
    > > mini.iso (openSUSE-10.3-GM-i386-mini.iso), but the result was the
    > > same...

    > > thanks much in advance, -Alain.

    > If I remember correctly You have to press F3 or something for advanced
    > options.

    I've tried depressing various keys after executing "xm start", but
    they seem to be ignored (probably because the installer boot pops up
    in a VNC or SDL window)..

+ Reply to Thread