Using sendmail - Suse

This is a discussion on Using sendmail - Suse ; I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to work? Guess I need to set the from address and the ...

  1. Using sendmail

    I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    such, but where?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Using sendmail

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:21:05 -0400, scott wrote:

    > I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    > send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    > work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    > such, but where?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know anything much about sendmail but maybe the free perl script
    sendEmail would be useful to you?

    http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

    JohnK

  3. Re: Using sendmail

    scott wrote:

    > I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    > send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    > work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    > such, but where?
    >
    > Thanks!

    First you need to identify the path of sendmail both relative and full,
    where the sendmail program resides. Then set up your identities and
    servers.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Using sendmail

    The carbonbased lifeform scott inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    > send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    > work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    > such, but where?

    I know virtually nothing of perl, but I know that you need to use a
    module like Mail::Sendmail or Mail::Transport::Sendmail
    Which one is the best for you I can't tell.

    See otherwise http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Mail_...enet_News/Mail

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  5. Re: Using sendmail

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    >> send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    >> work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    >> such, but where?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > First you need to identify the path of sendmail both relative and full,
    > where the sendmail program resides. Then set up your identities and
    > servers.

    And where do set the identities and servers?

  6. Re: Using sendmail

    JohnK wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:21:05 -0400, scott wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    >> send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    >> work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    >> such, but where?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I don't know anything much about sendmail but maybe the free perl script
    > sendEmail would be useful to you?
    >
    > http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
    >
    > JohnK

    Looks interesting... I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

  7. Re: Using sendmail

    scott wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to use sendmail in a Perl script. No, I'm not trying to
    >>> send out mass junk mailings... How does one setup sendmail to get it to
    >>> work? Guess I need to set the from address and the smtp host name an
    >>> such, but where?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> First you need to identify the path of sendmail both relative and full,
    >> where the sendmail program resides. Then set up your identities and
    >> servers.
    >>

    > And where do set the identities and servers?

    Could you explain a little of what you are trying to do? Are you trying to
    use a script to send mail via sendmail on another host or are you setting
    up your own computer to be an Internet server serving up webpages and
    setting up email accounts?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  8. Re: Using sendmail

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> Darrell Stec wrote:

    >>> First you need to identify the path of sendmail both relative and full,
    >>> where the sendmail program resides. Then set up your identities and
    >>> servers.
    >>>

    >> And where do set the identities and servers?

    > Could you explain a little of what you are trying to do? Are you trying to
    > use a script to send mail via sendmail on another host or are you setting
    > up your own computer to be an Internet server serving up webpages and
    > setting up email accounts?

    Simply put I am trying to send an email message from a script. I
    have heard of sendmail and postfix and they sound like what is needed.
    Of course security is of a concern in that I don't want someone using my
    system to send junk to others.

    As for setting up a Internet mail server is something I would like
    to do - eventually.

  9. Re: Using sendmail

    scott wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> scott wrote:

    >>> And where do set the identities and servers?

    >> Could you explain a little of what you are trying to do? Are you trying
    >> to use a script to send mail via sendmail on another host or are you
    >> setting up your own computer to be an Internet server serving up webpages
    >> and setting up email accounts?
    >>

    > Simply put I am trying to send an email message from a script. I
    > have heard of sendmail and postfix and they sound like what is needed.
    > Of course security is of a concern in that I don't want someone using my
    > system to send junk to others.
    >
    > As for setting up a Internet mail server is something I would like
    > to do - eventually.

    I don't think you understood my questions. My answer depends upon what you
    are trying to do. Are you trying to use sendmail on somebody else's host
    on which you have a website, or are you trying to use sendmail from your
    own computer? If the later then you do not need sendmail but rather just a
    mail program like kmail.

    If the former then you need to know both the relative and the absolute paths
    to the sendmail directory on your host's computer. There is a simple file
    that will give you that information plus the URLs for your cgi/perl
    directories.

    Naturally if you are unfortunate enough to have a Windows host, you will
    sadly find out they do not necessarily use sendmail.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  10. Re: Using sendmail

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> Darrell Stec wrote:

    >>> Could you explain a little of what you are trying to do? Are you trying
    >>> to use a script to send mail via sendmail on another host or are you
    >>> setting up your own computer to be an Internet server serving up webpages
    >>> and setting up email accounts?
    >>>

    >> Simply put I am trying to send an email message from a script. I
    >> have heard of sendmail and postfix and they sound like what is needed.
    >> Of course security is of a concern in that I don't want someone using my
    >> system to send junk to others.
    >>
    >> As for setting up a Internet mail server is something I would like
    >> to do - eventually.

    > I don't think you understood my questions. My answer depends upon what you
    > are trying to do. Are you trying to use sendmail on somebody else's host
    > on which you have a website, or are you trying to use sendmail from your
    > own computer? If the later then you do not need sendmail but rather just a
    > mail program like kmail.
    >
    > If the former then you need to know both the relative and the absolute paths
    > to the sendmail directory on your host's computer. There is a simple file
    > that will give you that information plus the URLs for your cgi/perl
    > directories.
    >
    > Naturally if you are unfortunate enough to have a Windows host, you will
    > sadly find out they do not necessarily use sendmail.

    Obviously I didn't, but now that you explained a bit more I can
    answer your questions. I use SuSE Linux 10.2 and not Windows. This
    would be run on my own computer. I am considering using the afore
    mentioned sendEmail program but would like to use something native to
    SuSE Linux. I'll look into kmail.

    Thanks!

  11. Re: Using sendmail

    In scott:

    [Snip...]

    > I use SuSE Linux 10.2

    [Snip...]

    > I'll look into kmail.

    FWIW...

    If you can bring up kmail, it has a handbook (available under the "Help"
    toolbar button). This might get you started more quickly...

    HTH; YMMV...