Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3? - Suse ; Just installed openSUSE 10.3 (a clean install over 10.2, (retaining /home and /data partitions) and it seems to have gone pretty well. My main reason for installing 10.3 is that it provides a realtime kernel, whereas 10.2 didn't. Immediately after ...

  1. Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    Just installed openSUSE 10.3 (a clean install over 10.2, (retaining /home
    and /data partitions) and it seems to have gone pretty well.

    My main reason for installing 10.3 is that it provides a realtime kernel,
    whereas 10.2 didn't. Immediately after installing I did the customary
    update (which included a kernel update) rebooted to text mode, installed
    the NVidia driver, switched to run-level 5 and started to install the
    various audio applications I needed.

    When I got to the RT kernel I noticed that the package was still at the
    original shipped kernel version (2.6.22.5-31). The default kernel and
    kernel source packages have both moved on to 2.6.22.9-0.4 - so if I
    install the RT kernel, I will not be able to install the NVidia driver
    for it.

    This is spectacularly frustrating as I upgraded from 10.2 specifically
    because the build-service was spitting out kernel-rt and kernel-sources
    at marginally offset release versions - which effectively stopped me
    installing the NVidia driver.

    So my main question is does anyone know where I might find a realtime
    kernel to match the updated sources.

    A secondary question is why have openSUSE chosen not to update the RT
    kernel to match the default one (it's rhetorical).

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003

  2. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    David Haggett wrote:

    > Just installed openSUSE 10.3 (a clean install over 10.2, (retaining /home
    > and /data partitions) and it seems to have gone pretty well.
    >
    > My main reason for installing 10.3 is that it provides a realtime kernel,
    > whereas 10.2 didn't. Immediately after installing I did the customary
    > update (which included a kernel update) rebooted to text mode, installed
    > the NVidia driver, switched to run-level 5 and started to install the
    > various audio applications I needed.
    >
    > When I got to the RT kernel I noticed that the package was still at the
    > original shipped kernel version (2.6.22.5-31). The default kernel and
    > kernel source packages have both moved on to 2.6.22.9-0.4 - so if I
    > install the RT kernel, I will not be able to install the NVidia driver
    > for it.
    >
    > This is spectacularly frustrating as I upgraded from 10.2 specifically
    > because the build-service was spitting out kernel-rt and kernel-sources
    > at marginally offset release versions - which effectively stopped me
    > installing the NVidia driver.
    >
    > So my main question is does anyone know where I might find a realtime
    > kernel to match the updated sources.
    >
    > A secondary question is why have openSUSE chosen not to update the RT
    > kernel to match the default one (it's rhetorical).

    Add this to your installation sources:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit..._Factory/i586/

    The version is:

    kernel-rt-2.6.22.10-36.1.i586.rpm

  3. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:55:57 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >> So my main question is does anyone know where I might find a realtime
    >> kernel to match the updated sources.
    >>

    > Add this to your installation sources:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/

    i586/

    > The version is:
    >
    > kernel-rt-2.6.22.10-36.1.i586.rpm

    It's my fault - I forgot to say I was using an x86_64 platform in 64bit
    mode -doh.

    Anyway the scatter-gun approach appeared to work - I have been pointed to:
    http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/su...elh/SUSE-10.3/
    which has both 32 and 64bit branches, and am now happily running a
    realtime kernel with jack latencies of under 3msec.
    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003
    Email: davidhaggettdemoncouk

  4. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    David Haggett wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:55:57 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >>> So my main question is does anyone know where I might find a realtime
    >>> kernel to match the updated sources.
    >>>

    >> Add this to your installation sources:
    >>
    >> http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/

    > i586/
    >>
    >> The version is:
    >>
    >> kernel-rt-2.6.22.10-36.1.i586.rpm

    > It's my fault - I forgot to say I was using an x86_64 platform in 64bit
    > mode -doh.
    >
    > Anyway the scatter-gun approach appeared to work - I have been pointed to:
    > http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/su...elh/SUSE-10.3/
    > which has both 32 and 64bit branches, and am now happily running a
    > realtime kernel with jack latencies of under 3msec.

    Good to know as I'll be upgrading my main box (server) soon and I use
    Jack... But first I've got two other machines to finish tweaking so I can
    give them back to their owners.. One of these (an old Dell Laptop) will
    have the Jack + RT kernel on it.

    P.S. 3 msec sounds about right.

  5. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    Sorry for being ignorant on this, but ... what's Jack ?

  6. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:31:50 -0700, PhB wrote:

    > Sorry for being ignorant on this, but ... what's Jack ?

    Are you saying you don't know jack?

  7. Re: Realtime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3?

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:31:50 -0700, PhB wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry for being ignorant on this, but ... what's Jack ?

    > Are you saying you don't know jack?

    You couldn't resist could you?

    To PhB: Jack is a modular sound interface. Probably like a software
    equivalent of a jack patchbay. Sound and latency are the key factors when
    choosing a RT versus standard kernel.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread