OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ... - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ... - Suse ; Hello, I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under emulation I also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed openSUSE 10.3 under VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident and I'm up and running. However, openSUSE ...

  1. OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ...

    Hello,

    I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under emulation I
    also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed openSUSE 10.3 under
    VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident and I'm up and running.
    However, openSUSE does not recognise any of my three USB drives
    so I cannot transfer data from my desktop machine so that both are
    synchronised.

    I seem to remember there was a similar problem with openSUSE 10.2 but
    thought it had been overcome with the current version.

    Any advise welcome.

    Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Wednesday afternoon.

    David
    --
    David Love

  2. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ...

    zed wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under emulation
    > also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed openSUSE 10.3 under
    > VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident and I'm up and
    > running.
    > However, openSUSE does not recognise any of my three USB drives > hoo!>
    > so I cannot transfer data from my desktop machine so that both are
    > synchronised.
    >
    > I seem to remember there was a similar problem with openSUSE 10.2 but
    > thought it had been overcome with the current version.
    >
    > Any advise welcome.
    >
    > Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Wednesday afternoon.
    >
    > David
    > --
    > David Love

    Try vmplayer 2.x, it resolves the usb problem, also the shared folder
    functionality allows sharing with the desktop so that the usb's are not
    required (ps you could do this with the cd/dvd burner)
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ...

    Bill P wrote:
    > zed wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under emulation
    >> also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed openSUSE 10.3 under
    >> VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident and I'm up and
    >> running.
    >> However, openSUSE does not recognise any of my three USB drives >> hoo!>
    >> so I cannot transfer data from my desktop machine so that both are
    >> synchronised.
    >>
    >> I seem to remember there was a similar problem with openSUSE 10.2 but
    >> thought it had been overcome with the current version.
    >>
    >> Any advise welcome.
    >>
    >> Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Wednesday afternoon.
    >>
    >> David
    >> --
    >> David Love

    > Try vmplayer 2.x, it resolves the usb problem, also the shared folder
    > functionality allows sharing with the desktop so that the usb's are not
    > required (ps you could do this with the cd/dvd burner)

    Does VirtualBox also have this sharing capability?
    Up to now I was thinking I had to run a samba server to share folders on a host
    10.3 with a guest WinXP.

  4. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ...

    toby989@hotpop.com wrote:

    > Bill P wrote:
    >> zed wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under
    >>> emulation I
    >>> also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed openSUSE 10.3
    >>> under VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident and I'm up
    >>> and running.
    >>> However, openSUSE does not recognise any of my three USB drives >>> hoo!>
    >>> so I cannot transfer data from my desktop machine so that both are
    >>> synchronised.
    >>>
    >>> I seem to remember there was a similar problem with openSUSE 10.2 but
    >>> thought it had been overcome with the current version.
    >>>
    >>> Any advise welcome.
    >>>
    >>> Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Wednesday afternoon.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>> --
    >>> David Love

    >> Try vmplayer 2.x, it resolves the usb problem, also the shared folder
    >> functionality allows sharing with the desktop so that the usb's are not
    >> required (ps you could do this with the cd/dvd burner)

    > Does VirtualBox also have this sharing capability?
    > Up to now I was thinking I had to run a samba server to share folders on a
    > host 10.3 with a guest WinXP.

    supposed to, I didn't have great luck with vbox (ymmv) as it couldn't use my
    existing vmware vmx image

    this may help http://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  5. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 on Thinkpad T60 ...

    Bill P wrote:

    > zed wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a Thinkpad T60 on which the base OS is WindowsXP. Under
    > > emulation I also run Virtual Acorn RiscPC-ADJ. Today I installed
    > > openSUSE 10.3 under VMWare Server1.03. Installation was without incident
    > > and I'm up and running.
    > > However, openSUSE does not recognise any of my three USB drives > > hoo!>
    > > so I cannot transfer data from my desktop machine so that both are
    > > synchronised.
    > >
    > > I seem to remember there was a similar problem with openSUSE 10.2 but
    > > thought it had been overcome with the current version.
    > >
    > > Any advise welcome.
    > >
    > > Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Wednesday afternoon.
    > >
    > > David -- David Love

    > Try vmplayer 2.x, it resolves the usb problem, also the shared folder
    > functionality allows sharing with the desktop so that the usb's are not
    > required (ps you could do this with the cd/dvd burner)

    Thanks Bill. I will try that and report back.

    David
    --
    David Love

+ Reply to Thread