newb qustion monitor res - Suse

This is a discussion on newb qustion monitor res - Suse ; how do i change the resolution. I take it there is no desktop slider i have to get back into yash or something. yes i'm as green as grass...

  1. newb qustion monitor res

    how do i change the resolution. I take it there is no desktop slider i have
    to get back into yash or something.

    yes i'm as green as grass

  2. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    ian schrieb:
    > how do i change the resolution.

    There are some utilities. Given you have installed KDE, you can
    use "krandrtray". It's the little rectangular icon with the two-sided arrow
    in the system tray.

    If you don't have it there press Alt+F2, then enter "krandrtray".

    Kind regards

    Jan

  3. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    ian wrote:

    > how do i change the resolution. I take it there is no desktop slider i
    > have to get back into yash or something.
    >
    > yes i'm as green as grass

    If everything else in your video system is working correctly and all you
    need to do is change the resolution then start YAST and select the Hardware
    icon in the left hand panel. Then in the right hand panel select Graphics
    Card and Monitor. You will see a box marked Properties and under that a
    combobox called Resolution. Choose the resolution you would like.

    If you do not see it and you know your video card/monitor combination is
    capable of the resolution you want then in the box above the Properties box
    you will see an entry for Monitor and a button to change it.

    If that does not work, then you might have to run SAX2 in text mode. If you
    need that info then ask again.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    "Jan Kandziora" wrote in message news:ff3amg$2au$1@online.de...
    : ian schrieb:
    : > how do i change the resolution.
    : >
    :
    : If you don't have it there press Alt+F2, then enter "krandrtray".
    :
    : Kind regards
    :
    : Jan

    thanks but that didn't work. 800x600 is the highest resolution available.
    I did select the correct monitor driver. philips 170 17 ". set the aspect
    to 4:3 and the size to 17. but at 800x600 the screen is slightly to the
    left and lcds don't have the buttons to move it about like a crt does.

    now the graphics card. when installing there wasn't an option for changing
    the driver. it identified as an ati rv350ap. but its actually an ati 9600
    pro.

    ah found out yast is yet, another, setup, tool. hahaha. Watching some
    install vids by dean davis.

  5. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    "Darrell Stec" wrote in message
    : ian wrote:
    :
[...]

    looks like i need that info, maximum res is currently 800x600 and ati
    graphics card has been wrongly identified.

  6. Re: newb qustion monitor res.update

    :
    : looks like i need that info, maximum res is currently 800x600 and ati
    : graphics card has been wrongly identified.
    stumbled onto yast and changed monitor setting which turned out to be sax2.

    yast isn't an icon like it is in the linux cbt vids of 9.2.

    looking again at the phillips driver it doesn't identify it as an lcd
    monitor in brackets like it does the two other lcds monitors (unfortunately
    only 15") so i found lcd in the list of manufacturers and have some sort of
    generic driver.set it twice now. at the higher refresh rate of 75hz there
    is no flicker but i had to increase the size and realign the screen. ther
    is a 30 second countdown in the test option for doing each change. cool
    so far so good but there isn't an option at all for changing the graphics
    card.

  7. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    ian wrote:

    > "Jan Kandziora" wrote in message
    > : ian schrieb:
    > : > how do i change the resolution.
    > : >
    > : There are some utilities. Given you have installed KDE, you can
    > : use "krandrtray". It's the little rectangular icon with the two-sided
    > arrow
    > : in the system tray.
    > :
    > : If you don't have it there press Alt+F2, then enter "krandrtray".
    > :
    > : Kind regards
    > :
    > : Jan
    >
    > thanks but that didn't work. 800x600 is the highest resolution available.
    > I did select the correct monitor driver. philips 170 17 ". set the
    > aspect
    > to 4:3 and the size to 17. but at 800x600 the screen is slightly to the
    > left and lcds don't have the buttons to move it about like a crt does.
    >
    > now the graphics card. when installing there wasn't an option for
    > changing
    > the driver. it identified as an ati rv350ap. but its actually an ati
    > 9600 pro.
    >
    > ah found out yast is yet, another, setup, tool. hahaha. Watching some
    > install vids by dean davis.

    If you haven't gotten what you need yet, first use the YAST software
    installation choice and look for ATI drivers. There may be more than one.
    On the search type "ati" and check programs, description and contains
    boxes.

    Then shut down the computer and UNPLUG it as sometimes they contain residual
    memory when simply shut down. Reboot and before Suse starts type in "init
    3" without quotes when the GRUB menu comes up. It may not look like you
    should be typing anything but as you type you will see the entery. You
    will be put into a none graphics mode. Log on as root and use root
    password.

    Then type in "sax2 &&exit". The sax2 setup will start. Choose your
    graphics card and monitor (and desired resolution as well as 3D if you have
    it and want it) and then press the test button. You should be able to use
    the arrows to size it and then switch the tab and position it. You might
    have to change the size increment to something like large or maybe even
    small depending on how the size/position changes are interpreted.

    Once you center everything and set the proper size just accept it and then
    you should be able to boot up in normal graphics mode.

    You might run into two problems with the size and position. If nothing you
    do corrects it, you might try a different driver. Pick the one that gives
    the best results. Then if your monitor allows it, you might have to set
    the horizontal/vertical size/position manually on the monitor itself.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  8. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    On 2007-10-17 00:14, ian wrote:
    > "Jan Kandziora" wrote in message news:ff3amg$2au$1@online.de...
    > : ian schrieb:
    > : > how do i change the resolution.
    > : >
    > : There are some utilities. Given you have installed KDE, you can
    > : use "krandrtray". It's the little rectangular icon with the two-sided
    > arrow
    > : in the system tray.
    > :
    > : If you don't have it there press Alt+F2, then enter "krandrtray".
    > :
    > : Kind regards
    > :
    > : Jan
    >
    > thanks but that didn't work. 800x600 is the highest resolution available.
    > I did select the correct monitor driver. philips 170 17 ". set the aspect
    > to 4:3 and the size to 17. but at 800x600 the screen is slightly to the
    > left and lcds don't have the buttons to move it about like a crt does.
    >
    > now the graphics card. when installing there wasn't an option for changing
    > the driver. it identified as an ati rv350ap. but its actually an ati 9600
    > pro.
    >
    > ah found out yast is yet, another, setup, tool. hahaha. Watching some
    > install vids by dean davis.

    Make sure the videos is 10.3 and not 10.2, since the best features was added
    in 10.3.

    Now you can start YaST , software and add community repositories.
    And when you get the list, you will even find ATI there.
    Select it, and then open the software manager, search for ATI, and install their
    drivers.

    Last time I was trying, ATI wrote all of it themself, and perfectly made the
    system useless, but things are changing to the better.

    /bb

  9. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    "birre" wrote in message

    :
    : Make sure the videos is 10.3 and not 10.2, since the best features was
    added
    : in 10.3.
    :
    : Now you can start YaST , software and add community repositories.
    : And when you get the list, you will even find ATI there.
    : Select it, and then open the software manager, search for ATI, and install
    their
    : drivers.
    :
    : Last time I was trying, ATI wrote all of it themself, and perfectly made
    the
    : system useless, but things are changing to the better.

    downloaded ati catylyst for linux. 38.4mb. there is quite a long list of
    things that need doing first before installing that. I should think if you
    just ran their installer on its own without the proper preparation it will
    bollox up the install.

  10. Re: newb qustion monitor res

    ian schrieb:

    > the driver. it identified as an ati rv350ap. but its actually an ati
    > 9600 pro.

    That's perfectly ok. "rv350ap" is a card series, they all use the same
    driver. "ATI 9600" is just a marketing name (law of the highest number, you
    know).

    Kind regards

    Jan

+ Reply to Thread