Update Suse 6.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on Update Suse 6.0 - Suse ; Hi, I have a very old Suse System (6.0, no joke!!!) on a LAN server hosting a data base system. As a major hardware upgrade us now necessary, I want to update the SW, too. Unfortunately the data base system ...

  1. Update Suse 6.0

    Hi,

    I have a very old Suse System (6.0, no joke!!!) on a LAN server
    hosting a data base system.
    As a major hardware upgrade us now necessary, I want to update the SW,
    too.

    Unfortunately the data base system is only binary, so I don't have
    source code and the company supporting it does not longer exist.
    Do you have any hits, what's the best way to process?
    Is it possible to run the old binary file on a new distribution? May
    be copy some lib-files?

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. Re: Update Suse 6.0

    Peter.Meier998@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a very old Suse System (6.0, no joke!!!) on a LAN server
    > hosting a data base system.
    > As a major hardware upgrade us now necessary, I want to update the SW,
    > too.
    >
    > Unfortunately the data base system is only binary, so I don't have
    > source code and the company supporting it does not longer exist.

    Good idea to *not* tell us what this db system is

    > Do you have any hits, what's the best way to process?

    Care to give any specific info?

    > Is it possible to run the old binary file on a new distribution? May
    > be copy some lib-files?

    Maybe
    --
    Hardware, n.:
    The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

  3. Re: Update Suse 6.0

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 02:03:00 -0700, Peter.Meier998 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a very old Suse System (6.0, no joke!!!) on a LAN server hosting
    > a data base system.
    > As a major hardware upgrade us now necessary, I want to update the SW,
    > too.
    >
    > Unfortunately the data base system is only binary, so I don't have
    > source code and the company supporting it does not longer exist. Do you
    > have any hits, what's the best way to process? Is it possible to run the
    > old binary file on a new distribution? May be copy some lib-files?

    If you can't find any way to update your system, you could try making
    your physical machine into a virtual machine.

    We also have a SuSE 6 box at work that we were in fear of the hardware
    dying. We simply made a copy of the physical hard disk onto a virtual
    machine (VMware). It all works fine. In theory, we can make this
    machine run indefinitely now.

    The VMware "hardware" is fairly generic, so it should work OK. In any
    event, you can still get the install media for SuSE 6, so you can add
    anything you are missing.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  4. Re: Update Suse 6.0

    Le Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:17:17 +0200, David Bailey
    a écrit:

    > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 02:03:00 -0700, Peter.Meier998 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a very old Suse System (6.0, no joke!!!) on a LAN server hosting
    >> a data base system.
    >> As a major hardware upgrade us now necessary, I want to update the SW,
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the data base system is only binary, so I don't have
    >> source code and the company supporting it does not longer exist. Do you
    >> have any hits, what's the best way to process? Is it possible to run the
    >> old binary file on a new distribution? May be copy some lib-files?

    > If you can't find any way to update your system, you could try making
    > your physical machine into a virtual machine.
    >
    > We also have a SuSE 6 box at work that we were in fear of the hardware
    > dying. We simply made a copy of the physical hard disk onto a virtual
    > machine (VMware). It all works fine. In theory, we can make this
    > machine run indefinitely now.
    >
    > The VMware "hardware" is fairly generic, so it should work OK. In any
    > event, you can still get the install media for SuSE 6, so you can add
    > anything you are missing.
    >

    > Hope that helps.

    I do not know SUSE 6. But we still have old some SCO open server SW
    running with Linux abi (source forge) / SUse 9.3.

    --
    J.Bratières

+ Reply to Thread