Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform? - Suse

This is a discussion on Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform? - Suse ; Or, as Pink Floyd said... Is there anybody out there?.... I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and getting them to boot under kboot. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    Or, as Pink Floyd said...

    Is there anybody out there?....

    I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    getting them to boot under kboot.

    Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    am not sure what to do about it.

    By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.

    Anyone else have any thoughts?

    or... H E L P !!! :-]

  2. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:49:41 -0700, AnimalMagic
    wrote:

    > Or, as Pink Floyd said...
    >
    > Is there anybody out there?....
    >
    > I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    >loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    >getting them to boot under kboot.
    >
    > Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    >fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    >am not sure what to do about it.
    >
    > By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    >100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    >into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    >will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.
    >
    > Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >
    >or... H E L P !!! :-]

    WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

  3. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:49:41 -0700, AnimalMagic
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Or, as Pink Floyd said...
    >>
    >> Is there anybody out there?....
    >>
    >> I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    >>loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    >>getting them to boot under kboot.
    >>
    >> Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    >>fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    >>am not sure what to do about it.
    >>
    >> By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    >>100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    >>into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    >>will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >>
    >>or... H E L P !!! :-]

    > WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    childhood toys except as collectors. :-)

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regardingOpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On 2007-10-18 04:23, AnimalMagic wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:49:41 -0700, AnimalMagic
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Or, as Pink Floyd said...
    >>
    >> Is there anybody out there?....
    >>
    >> I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    >> loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    >> getting them to boot under kboot.
    >>
    >> Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    >> fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    >> am not sure what to do about it.
    >>
    >> By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    >> 100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    >> into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    >> will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >>
    >> or... H E L P !!! :-]

    > WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    I will for sure try it, but are worried to loose all my settings, the PS3 backup
    utility say that my settings will not be saved, and I no longer remember my
    password for their online services.

    Is it really no way to save the user/login settings before splitting this disk
    in 2 partitions?

    My son will be very sad if all the downloaded games is lost, specially the
    ones we paid for.

    If I run Suse on it, it will even play OGG files:-) , something that is very
    banned by those DRM fanatics that made the PS3.

    /bb

  5. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regardingOpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:54 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:

    >> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    > Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    > childhood toys except as collectors.

    Or we prefer not to need to keep a fire extinguisher next to our desk?

    There's a reason that The Inquirer calls them "maker of exploding
    batteries, Sony...."

  6. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regardingOpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On 2007-10-18 13:12, Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:54 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >>> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    >> Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >> childhood toys except as collectors.

    > Or we prefer not to need to keep a fire extinguisher next to our desk?
    >
    > There's a reason that The Inquirer calls them "maker of exploding
    > batteries, Sony...."

    The PS3 has not that problem, no batteries, it's not more dangerous then leaving
    a hair-drier running :-)

    /bb

  7. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:49:41 -0700, AnimalMagic
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Or, as Pink Floyd said...
    >>>
    >>> Is there anybody out there?....
    >>>
    >>> I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    >>>loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    >>>getting them to boot under kboot.
    >>>
    >>> Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    >>>fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    >>>am not sure what to do about it.
    >>>
    >>> By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    >>>100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    >>>into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    >>>will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>>or... H E L P !!! :-]

    >> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    >Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >childhood toys except as collectors. :-)

    You ain't real bright, are ya, boy?

    http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml

    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html

    Open mouth, insert foot.

    I wanted discussion about OpenSuse on the PS3, not some dweeb wanna be
    user that thinks he is the end all, be all in the computer wolrd.

  8. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:52:27 +0200, birre wrote:

    >On 2007-10-18 04:23, AnimalMagic wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:49:41 -0700, AnimalMagic
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or, as Pink Floyd said...
    >>>
    >>> Is there anybody out there?....
    >>>
    >>> I was particularly interested in the PPC boot process, and how the boot
    >>> loader works, and also adding other distros on other partitions, and
    >>> getting them to boot under kboot.
    >>>
    >>> Right now, the other partition shows up, and the distro installed there
    >>> fine (Ubuntu), but it won't boot. I am sure it has to do with kboot, but
    >>> am not sure what to do about it.
    >>>
    >>> By the way. OpenSuse 10.3 rocks on the PS3. It looks nice and sharp at
    >>> 100dpi. I have slow SDL app performance, but folks are beginning to get
    >>> into the RSX graphics engine, so I am reasonably confident that a driver
    >>> will eventually emerge from NVidia or Sony.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> or... H E L P !!! :-]

    >> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    >I will for sure try it, but are worried to loose all my settings, the PS3 backup
    >utility say that my settings will not be saved, and I no longer remember my
    >password for their online services.
    >
    >Is it really no way to save the user/login settings before splitting this disk
    >in 2 partitions?
    >
    >My son will be very sad if all the downloaded games is lost, specially the
    >ones we paid for.
    >

    >If I run Suse on it, it will even play OGG files:-) , something that is very
    >banned by those DRM fanatics that made the PS3.
    >
    >/bb

    Put a thumb drive into one of the front panel USB ports. Then do the
    backup thingy.

    No, it doesn't format the thumb drive, it creates a directory.

    You have to have enough space on it, so having a USB hard drive is a
    better choice for backing it up if you have it full of gigs of data and
    game installs.

    For your scenario, choose ten GB for otherOS.

    I chose ten GB for PS3 and got the rest back for my "otherOS".

    I also installed a 120 GB drive first. I am working on getting a 320GB
    3.5" 7200 external SATA drive going under it.

    I am not sure, but it may let you set it up with a PC client to transfer
    files and backups over to it. I haven't tried that yet, however.

  9. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On 18 Oct 2007 13:12:42 +0200, Mark South
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:54 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >>> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    >> Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >> childhood toys except as collectors.

    >Or we prefer not to need to keep a fire extinguisher next to our desk?
    >
    >There's a reason that The Inquirer calls them "maker of exploding
    >batteries, Sony...."

    The PS3 is not a laptop machine, nor does it contain batteries. It
    likely contains ONE Lithium cell for the BIOS.

    It also has ONE CELL BE CPU in it!

  10. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:05:41 +0200, birre wrote:

    >>> Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >>> childhood toys except as collectors.

    >> Or we prefer not to need to keep a fire extinguisher next to our desk?
    >>
    >> There's a reason that The Inquirer calls them "maker of exploding
    >> batteries, Sony...."

    >The PS3 has not that problem, no batteries, it's not more dangerous then leaving
    >a hair-drier running :-)

    Do you guys know that there already colleges running clusters of this
    platform right?

    You do know that MIT is doing some SWEET developments on it, right?

    Way cheaper than IBM's blades are.

    http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml

    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html

    Blows any PC out of the water.

  11. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:54 -0400, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AnimalMagic wrote:

    >>> WHAT!? Am I the only one on the planet that has OpenSuse on a PS3?

    >>Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >>childhood toys except as collectors. :-)

    > You ain't real bright, are ya, boy?
    >
    > http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml

    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html

    > Open mouth, insert foot.
    >
    > I wanted discussion about OpenSuse on the PS3, not some dweeb wanna be
    > user that thinks he is the end all, be all in the computer wolrd.

    Sorry I thought PS3 was the Sony Playstation three, a toy for playing
    children's games. However on your link I saw nothing that said otherwise.
    What does IBM have with Sony's toy?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  12. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:57:33 -0400, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:54 -0400, Darrell Stec
    >> wrote:

    0>>>>> there

    >>>Perhaps readers of this newsgroup are serious computer users and not into
    >>>childhood toys except as collectors. :-)

    >> You ain't real bright, are ya, boy?
    >>
    >> http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml
    >>

    >http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html
    >>

    >> Open mouth, insert foot.
    >>
    >> I wanted discussion about OpenSuse on the PS3, not some dweeb wanna be
    >> user that thinks he is the end all, be all in the computer wolrd.

    >Sorry

    Why yes, you are one sorry bat's turd. You are also one sorry bastard.
    You are also one sorry, retarded mother ****er, boy.

    > I thought PS3 was the Sony Playstation three, a toy for playing
    >children's games.

    It is the PS3, or Sony Play Station series Three, a COMPUTER that was
    primarily designed for playing BluRay DVD movies, and high end video
    games. It has nothing to do with your retarded view that they are all
    "children's games". In fact, that only proves that it is you that is the
    child, little boy.

    > However on your link I saw nothing that said otherwise.

    You likely didn't even visit them. The first link was IBMs heavily
    detailed description of the processor itself. It is 100% evident that
    you did not examine that lecture.

    The second was related to MIT computer science graduate students
    (you know, three orders of magnitude smarter than your retarded ass is)
    Putting their education to practice competing for cash by PROGRAMMING
    sophisticated utilizations of said processor, and it happened to be on
    the PS3 since IBMs quad Cell blades cost about a year of you petty salary
    each.

    Why don't you grow the **** up, Chuck? You make me want to upchuck.

    >What does IBM have with Sony's toy?

    You are one thick skulled mother ****er, eh?

    Retard "sorcery" is more your speed, boy.

  13. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:52:55 -0700, AnimalMagic
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:57:33 -0400, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AnimalMagic wrote:

    >0>>>>> there

    >>> You ain't real bright, are ya, boy?
    >>>
    >>> http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml
    >>>

    >>http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html
    >>>

    >>> Open mouth, insert foot.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted discussion about OpenSuse on the PS3, not some dweeb wanna be
    >>> user that thinks he is the end all, be all in the computer wolrd.

    >>Sorry

    > Why yes, you are one sorry bat's turd. You are also one sorry bastard.
    >You are also one sorry, retarded mother ****er, boy.
    >
    >> I thought PS3 was the Sony Playstation three, a toy for playing
    >>children's games.

    > It is the PS3, or Sony Play Station series Three, a COMPUTER that was
    >primarily designed for playing BluRay DVD movies, and high end video
    >games. It has nothing to do with your retarded view that they are all
    >"children's games". In fact, that only proves that it is you that is the
    >child, little boy.
    >
    >> However on your link I saw nothing that said otherwise.

    > You likely didn't even visit them. The first link was IBMs heavily
    >detailed description of the processor itself. It is 100% evident that
    >you did not examine that lecture.
    >
    > The second was related to MIT computer science graduate students
    >(you know, three orders of magnitude smarter than your retarded ass is)
    >Putting their education to practice competing for cash by PROGRAMMING
    >sophisticated utilizations of said processor, and it happened to be on
    >the PS3 since IBMs quad Cell blades cost about a year of you petty salary
    >each.
    >
    > Why don't you grow the **** up, Chuck? You make me want to upchuck.
    >
    >>What does IBM have with Sony's toy?

    > You are one thick skulled mother ****er, eh?
    >
    > Retard "sorcery" is more your speed, boy.

    Hahahahaha... not a computer!

    Sure, bub!

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news...supercomputer#

  14. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:57:33 -0400, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AnimalMagic wrote:

    > 0>>>>> there

    >>> You ain't real bright, are ya, boy?
    >>>
    >>> http://cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/index.shtml
    >>>

    >>http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html
    >>>

    >>> Open mouth, insert foot.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted discussion about OpenSuse on the PS3, not some dweeb wanna be
    >>> user that thinks he is the end all, be all in the computer wolrd.

    >>Sorry

    > Why yes, you are one sorry bat's turd. You are also one sorry bastard.
    > You are also one sorry, retarded mother ****er, boy.
    >
    >> I thought PS3 was the Sony Playstation three, a toy for playing
    >>children's games.

    > It is the PS3, or Sony Play Station series Three, a COMPUTER that was
    > primarily designed for playing BluRay DVD movies, and high end video
    > games. It has nothing to do with your retarded view that they are all
    > "children's games". In fact, that only proves that it is you that is the
    > child, little boy.
    >
    >> However on your link I saw nothing that said otherwise.

    > You likely didn't even visit them. The first link was IBMs heavily
    > detailed description of the processor itself. It is 100% evident that
    > you did not examine that lecture.
    >
    > The second was related to MIT computer science graduate students
    > (you know, three orders of magnitude smarter than your retarded ass is)
    > Putting their education to practice competing for cash by PROGRAMMING
    > sophisticated utilizations of said processor, and it happened to be on
    > the PS3 since IBMs quad Cell blades cost about a year of you petty salary
    > each.
    >
    > Why don't you grow the **** up, Chuck? You make me want to upchuck.
    >
    >>What does IBM have with Sony's toy?

    > You are one thick skulled mother ****er, eh?
    >
    > Retard "sorcery" is more your speed, boy.

    I apologize. From your profuse use of profanity I can see I was responding
    to a child of about 13 with a potty mouth whose mommy isn't watching his
    computer time as a parent should. I thought I was talking to an adult.
    Your entire response demonstrates otherwise. So I'll let you go back to
    your toy.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  15. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:52:55 -0700, AnimalMagic
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:57:33 -0400, Darrell Stec
    >> wrote:

    >>0>>>>> there

    >>>http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/uni...ell/index.html

    >>>Sorry

    >> Why yes, you are one sorry bat's turd. You are also one sorry bastard.
    >>You are also one sorry, retarded mother ****er, boy.
    >>
    >>> I thought PS3 was the Sony Playstation three, a toy for playing
    >>>children's games.

    >> It is the PS3, or Sony Play Station series Three, a COMPUTER that was
    >>primarily designed for playing BluRay DVD movies, and high end video
    >>games. It has nothing to do with your retarded view that they are all
    >>"children's games". In fact, that only proves that it is you that is the
    >>child, little boy.
    >>
    >>> However on your link I saw nothing that said otherwise.

    >> You likely didn't even visit them. The first link was IBMs heavily
    >>detailed description of the processor itself. It is 100% evident that
    >>you did not examine that lecture.
    >>
    >> The second was related to MIT computer science graduate students
    >>(you know, three orders of magnitude smarter than your retarded ass is)
    >>Putting their education to practice competing for cash by PROGRAMMING
    >>sophisticated utilizations of said processor, and it happened to be on
    >>the PS3 since IBMs quad Cell blades cost about a year of you petty salary
    >>each.
    >>
    >> Why don't you grow the **** up, Chuck? You make me want to upchuck.
    >>
    >>>What does IBM have with Sony's toy?

    >> You are one thick skulled mother ****er, eh?
    >>
    >> Retard "sorcery" is more your speed, boy.

    > Hahahahaha... not a computer!
    >
    > Sure, bub!
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news...supercomputer#

    Why are you nymshifting Animal? Multiple personalities of a boy pretending
    to be bigger than he is and all grown up?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  16. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    You don't think, you retarded ****head.

    >Your entire response demonstrates otherwise.

    Your entire responses demonstrate how immature you are.

    > So I'll let you go back to
    >your toy.

    Check the headers, dip****. I have several machines, only one of which
    is the computer that is known as the PS3.

  17. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:16:11 -0400, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >> Hahahahaha... not a computer!
    >>
    >> Sure, bub!
    >>
    >> http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news...supercomputer#

    >Why are you nymshifting Animal? Multiple personalities of a boy pretending
    >to be bigger than he is and all grown up?

    Hahahaha...

    http://www.physorg.com/news92674403.html

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/11/s...arhawk-mayhem/

    More are planned. You're an idiot, Stec.

  18. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regardingOpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On 2007-10-19 03:59, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > Put a thumb drive into one of the front panel USB ports. Then do the
    > backup thingy.
    >
    > No, it doesn't format the thumb drive, it creates a directory.
    >
    > You have to have enough space on it, so having a USB hard drive is a
    > better choice for backing it up if you have it full of gigs of data and
    > game installs.
    >
    > For your scenario, choose ten GB for otherOS.
    >
    > I chose ten GB for PS3 and got the rest back for my "otherOS".
    >
    > I also installed a 120 GB drive first. I am working on getting a 320GB
    > 3.5" 7200 external SATA drive going under it.
    >
    > I am not sure, but it may let you set it up with a PC client to transfer
    > files and backups over to it. I haven't tried that yet, however.

    Yeah, the backup is no problem, I have a 500G USB , that I made a vfat on
    big enough for PS3 (that of course can't write on anything else then MS filesystems)

    But the problem is restore :-/ it clearly say that everything is _not_ saved,
    so if I reformat my PS3 for PS3/Linux, how can I get the files back, so it works
    as before.

    Sony is one of them that don't respect the customers data and settings, they
    only protect their "property".

    I will just know if the restore really restore everything, so I can use all
    downloaded games (demos+paid), and login with my saved users and passwords.

    BTW, azuerus works fine as mediaserver for PS3, so just downloaded videos
    can be copied to the PS3 disk, or viewed in streaming.

    /bb

  19. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:35:22 +0200, birre wrote:

    >Yeah, the backup is no problem, I have a 500G USB , that I made a vfat on
    >big enough for PS3 (that of course can't write on anything else then MS filesystems)

    Bull**** The PS3 has its own native, encrypted filesystem.

    EXTERNALLY attached drives (USB, Flash) can be FAT (while under the PS3
    or Linux) or NTFS (while under an appropriate Linux Kernel).

  20. Re: Anyone here up to the task of entertaining queries regarding OpenSuse on the PS3 platform?

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:35:22 +0200, birre wrote:

    >But the problem is restore :-/ it clearly say that everything is _not_ saved,
    >so if I reformat my PS3 for PS3/Linux, how can I get the files back, so it works
    >as before.

    Your only option if you believe that (mine seems to back up AND restore
    everything) is to buy an additional laptop 2.5" HD and install it in the
    PS3, let it format it, and use that for your Linux escapades, and place
    your son's drive in the system when you wish to give him access to his
    saved data and set-ups. A little cumbersome, but hey, you are the one
    that wants to experiment with Linux on the PS3.

    Whatever you do, do NOT try Fedora Core7. Is the most, absolutely dog
    slow distro I have ever witnessed in my life on the PS3 as they chose a
    kernel that does not even multi-thread, and they update you into an even
    worse kernel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast