Wireless not working on laptop - Suse

This is a discussion on Wireless not working on laptop - Suse ; Hello, I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am ...

  1. Wireless not working on laptop

    Hello,
    I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my
    wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am
    running openSUSE 10.2. I used lusb and came up withe following:

    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    I googled the Microdia, Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft devices but only
    came up with Intel-based driver information. My laptop is AMD.

    So I installed Ndiswrapper and here is how far I got:

    linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    driver driver is already installed
    linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -l
    driver : invalid driver!

    I used YAST Network Devices>Network Card and added the
    Cisco 802.11 wireless device but still no luck.

    I hope very much that I can get wireless working in Linux, but I know
    nothing about kernel hacking.

    Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

  2. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 01:25:38 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:

    > I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my
    > wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is:
    > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    > I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am
    > running openSUSE 10.2. I used lusb and came up withe following:
    >
    > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
    > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp.
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > I googled the Microdia, Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft devices but only
    > came up with Intel-based driver information. My laptop is AMD.

    Your wireless card is not a USB device. Try doing lspci instead.

    > So I installed Ndiswrapper and here is how far I got:
    >
    > linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    > driver driver is already installed

    So you must already have used ndiswrapper before that, right?

    > linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -l
    > driver : invalid driver!

    But obviously not the right driver.

    > I used YAST Network Devices>Network Card and added the
    > Cisco 802.11 wireless device but still no luck.

    Cisco????? Why?

    > I hope very much that I can get wireless working in Linux, but I know
    > nothing about kernel hacking.

    No kernel hacking is involved.

    But we need to start over with ndiswrapper from the beginning.

    > Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

    I can only help if you are willing to try what I suggest - d'accord?

  3. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 01:25:38 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:
    >
    >> I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my
    >> wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is:
    >> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    >> I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am
    >> running openSUSE 10.2. I used lusb and came up withe following:
    >>
    >> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
    >> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp.
    >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>
    >> I googled the Microdia, Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft devices but only
    >> came up with Intel-based driver information. My laptop is AMD.

    > Your wireless card is not a USB device. Try doing lspci instead.
    >
    >> So I installed Ndiswrapper and here is how far I got:
    >>
    >> linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    >> driver driver is already installed

    > So you must already have used ndiswrapper before that, right?
    >
    >> linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -l
    >> driver : invalid driver!

    > But obviously not the right driver.
    >
    >> I used YAST Network Devices>Network Card and added the
    >> Cisco 802.11 wireless device but still no luck.

    > Cisco????? Why?
    >
    >> I hope very much that I can get wireless working in Linux, but I know
    >> nothing about kernel hacking.

    > No kernel hacking is involved.
    >
    > But we need to start over with ndiswrapper from the beginning.
    >
    >> Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

    > I can only help if you are willing to try what I suggest - d'accord?

    OK, I ran lspci and got this for the network card:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)

    I used the Cisco driver because the numbers matched (802.11)

    Thanks

  4. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 01:25:38 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:
    >
    >> I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my
    >> wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is:
    >> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    >> I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am
    >> running openSUSE 10.2. I used lusb and came up withe following:
    >>
    >> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
    >> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp.
    >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>
    >> I googled the Microdia, Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft devices but only
    >> came up with Intel-based driver information. My laptop is AMD.

    > Your wireless card is not a USB device. Try doing lspci instead.
    >
    >> So I installed Ndiswrapper and here is how far I got:
    >>
    >> linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    >> driver driver is already installed

    > So you must already have used ndiswrapper before that, right?
    >
    >> linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -l
    >> driver : invalid driver!

    > But obviously not the right driver.
    >
    >> I used YAST Network Devices>Network Card and added the
    >> Cisco 802.11 wireless device but still no luck.

    > Cisco????? Why?
    >
    >> I hope very much that I can get wireless working in Linux, but I know
    >> nothing about kernel hacking.

    > No kernel hacking is involved.
    >
    > But we need to start over with ndiswrapper from the beginning.
    >
    >> Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

    > I can only help if you are willing to try what I suggest - d'accord?

    OK, I ran lspci and got this for the network card:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)

    I used the Cisco driver because the numbers matched (802.11). According
    to Broadcom the driver has been in the kernel for some time now, so when
    I saw numbers that matched I thought it was the one.

    Thanks

  5. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:50:06 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:

    >> But we need to start over with ndiswrapper from the beginning.
    >>
    >>> Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

    >> I can only help if you are willing to try what I suggest - d'accord?

    > OK, I ran lspci and got this for the network card:
    > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)

    That looks more familiar. I'll try and explain as I go along, but if that
    seems confusing then stick to the instructions, OK?

    > I used the Cisco driver because the numbers matched (802.11).

    :-)

    802.11 refers to the set of wireless standards.

    > According to Broadcom the driver has been in the kernel for some time
    > now, so when I saw numbers that matched I thought it was the one.

    There is a kernel driver (not supported by Broadcom) for the Broadcom
    chipsets. However, ndiswrapper is simpler and you have it installed, so
    let's use that for now.

    Please do the following steps:

    1. Open a terminal and su to root:

    $ su

    2. Show the installed drivers in ndiswrapper

    # ndiswrapper -l

    3. Remove the ndiswrapper driver(s) that you have installed - for each one
    in the list you got from step 2, do (replace "driver" with the correct
    name).

    # ndiswrapper -r driver

    4. Find the Broadcom driver you need - ISTR it's called bcwl5.inf, and you
    need the matching bcwl5.sys file. Put them together in the same
    directory. Make sure there are no other .sys or .inf files in there.
    (NB: this step may be the tricky part, in which case come back and ask for
    details.)

    5. Install the correct driver (check the right name):

    # ndiswrapper -i bcwl5.inf

    6. Check it's installed:

    # ndiswrapper -l

    You should see "hardware present" if the driver is correct (remember to
    meake sure the hardware IS present :-)

    7. Set the interface name up:

    # ndiswrapper -m

    8. Disable the bcm43xx driver so it doesn't block ndiswrapper from the
    hardware: edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and put "blacklist bcm43xx" on a
    line by itself at the end of the file.

    9. Ensure the bcm43xx driver is unloaded:

    # modprobe -r bcm43xx

    10. Load ndiswrapper:

    # modprobe ndiswrapper

    11. Use your favourite connection software - (k)network manager or
    whatever and tell us whether you can see the network and or connect.

    It may look compicated, but it takes about 30 seconds to do all that once
    one's done it a couple of times.

    Good luck,
    Mark
    --
    Whose signature is using a native, in-tree kernel driver and therefore
    does not need ndiswrapper at all to ensure flawless functioning.

  6. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Mark South wrote:

    > 11. Use your favourite connection software - (k)network manager or
    > whatever and tell us whether you can see the network and or connect.
    >
    > It may look compicated, but it takes about 30 seconds to do all that once
    > one's done it a couple of times.

    if i may add ;-)
    12. in root konsole:
    1--> "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up" (to wake up the wlan card)
    2-->"/etc/init.d/network restart" (to restart network)

    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  7. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:25:18 +0000, EOS wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> 11. Use your favourite connection software - (k)network manager or
    >> whatever and tell us whether you can see the network and or connect.
    >>
    >> It may look compicated, but it takes about 30 seconds to do all that once
    >> one's done it a couple of times.

    ....or maybe I meant "a couple of hundred times."

    ;-)

    > if i may add ;-)
    > 12. in root konsole:
    > 1--> "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up" (to wake up the wlan card)
    > 2-->"/etc/init.d/network restart" (to restart network)

    A good point, in principle. However, most systems with hotplugging
    enabled will wake the interface upon loading its driver module. I think
    Suse has done this in all the time I've known it (since 9.0) but on older
    systems your steps may be needed.

  8. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Zuvuya writes:

    >Hello,
    >I saw an article in Linux Forums and tried to follow it to get my
    >wireless on my laptop working. The link to the article is:
    >http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    >I have an HP Pavilion dv6445us with Broadcom 802.11a/b/g wireless. I am
    >running openSUSE 10.2. I used lusb and came up withe following:

    Unfortunately broadcom is one of the worst companies for Linux support.
    Thus ndiswrapper or linuxant driverloader

    >Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
    >Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
    >Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp.
    >Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    >I googled the Microdia, Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft devices but only
    >came up with Intel-based driver information. My laptop is AMD.

    The cpu should make no difference.

    >So I installed Ndiswrapper and here is how far I got:

    >linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    >driver driver is already installed

    Why are you coy about the names of the driver? That does not help.

    >linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -l
    >driver : invalid driver!

    I assume that at least one of those "driver" is really not that word.

    >I used YAST Network Devices>Network Card and added the
    >Cisco 802.11 wireless device but still no luck.

    >I hope very much that I can get wireless working in Linux, but I know
    >nothing about kernel hacking.

    >Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

    You have a confused system. Remove the driver you have
    ndiswrapper -e realnameofdriver
    and then try reinstalling it.

    And do NOT use driver.inf

  9. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:50:06 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:
    >
    >>> But we need to start over with ndiswrapper from the beginning.

    >>> I can only help if you are willing to try what I suggest - d'accord?

    >> OK, I ran lspci and got this for the network card:
    >> 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)

    > That looks more familiar. I'll try and explain as I go along, but if that
    > seems confusing then stick to the instructions, OK?
    >
    >> I used the Cisco driver because the numbers matched (802.11).

    > :-)
    >
    > 802.11 refers to the set of wireless standards.
    >
    >> According to Broadcom the driver has been in the kernel for some time
    >> now, so when I saw numbers that matched I thought it was the one.

    > There is a kernel driver (not supported by Broadcom) for the Broadcom
    > chipsets. However, ndiswrapper is simpler and you have it installed, so
    > let's use that for now.
    >
    > Please do the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Open a terminal and su to root:
    >
    > $ su
    >
    > 2. Show the installed drivers in ndiswrapper
    >
    > # ndiswrapper -l
    >
    > 3. Remove the ndiswrapper driver(s) that you have installed - for each one
    > in the list you got from step 2, do (replace "driver" with the correct
    > name).
    >
    > # ndiswrapper -r driver
    >
    > 4. Find the Broadcom driver you need - ISTR it's called bcwl5.inf, and you
    > need the matching bcwl5.sys file. Put them together in the same
    > directory. Make sure there are no other .sys or .inf files in there.
    > (NB: this step may be the tricky part, in which case come back and ask for
    > details.)
    >
    > 5. Install the correct driver (check the right name):
    >
    > # ndiswrapper -i bcwl5.inf
    >
    > 6. Check it's installed:
    >
    > # ndiswrapper -l
    >
    > You should see "hardware present" if the driver is correct (remember to
    > meake sure the hardware IS present :-)
    >
    > 7. Set the interface name up:
    >
    > # ndiswrapper -m
    >
    > 8. Disable the bcm43xx driver so it doesn't block ndiswrapper from the
    > hardware: edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and put "blacklist bcm43xx" on a
    > line by itself at the end of the file.
    >
    > 9. Ensure the bcm43xx driver is unloaded:
    >
    > # modprobe -r bcm43xx
    >
    > 10. Load ndiswrapper:
    >
    > # modprobe ndiswrapper
    >
    > 11. Use your favourite connection software - (k)network manager or
    > whatever and tell us whether you can see the network and or connect.
    >
    > It may look compicated, but it takes about 30 seconds to do all that once
    > one's done it a couple of times.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Mark

    I cannot find a source for bcw15.inf or bcw15.sys anywhere on google.

  10. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:58:44 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:

    ....huge amount of my attempts to help snipped....

    > I cannot find a source for bcw15.inf or bcw15.sys anywhere on google.

    You probably need to find the normal XP driver to download, and then
    extract the .inf and .sys files. The XP driver will come as a .exe file,
    but normally it can be opened with unzip or one of the linux archiving
    tools.

  11. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On 2007-10-15 19:57, Unruh wrote:
    > Zuvuya writes:
    >

    >> linux-ch35:/home/dm # ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf
    >> driver driver is already installed

    > Why are you coy about the names of the driver? That does not help.

    After reading all what Zuvuya writes, I suspect he actually gave that
    command with this text, and not the driver name :-)

    /bb

  12. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Ok, the XP driver is bcmw15.inf and bcmw15.sys, not bcw15.inf and bcw15.sys.

  13. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 04:04:23 -0500, Zuvuya wrote:

    > Ok, the XP driver is bcmw15.inf and bcmw15.sys, not bcw15.inf and bcw15.sys.

    Glad you found them. Let us know how it goes.

  14. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Zuvuya writes:

    >Mark South wrote:

    >>> OK, I ran lspci and got this for the network card:
    >>> 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)

    >> That looks more familiar. I'll try and explain as I go along, but if that
    >> seems confusing then stick to the instructions, OK?
    >>
    >>> I used the Cisco driver because the numbers matched (802.11).

    >> :-)
    >>
    >> 802.11 refers to the set of wireless standards.
    >>
    >>> According to Broadcom the driver has been in the kernel for some time
    >>> now, so when I saw numbers that matched I thought it was the one.

    >> There is a kernel driver (not supported by Broadcom) for the Broadcom
    >> chipsets. However, ndiswrapper is simpler and you have it installed, so
    >> let's use that for now.
    >>
    >> Please do the following steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Open a terminal and su to root:
    >>
    >> $ su
    >>
    >> 2. Show the installed drivers in ndiswrapper
    >>
    >> # ndiswrapper -l
    >>
    >> 3. Remove the ndiswrapper driver(s) that you have installed - for each one
    >> in the list you got from step 2, do (replace "driver" with the correct
    >> name).
    >>
    >> # ndiswrapper -r driver
    >>
    >> 4. Find the Broadcom driver you need - ISTR it's called bcwl5.inf, and you
    >> need the matching bcwl5.sys file. Put them together in the same
    >> directory. Make sure there are no other .sys or .inf files in there.
    >> (NB: this step may be the tricky part, in which case come back and ask for
    >> details.)
    >>
    >> 5. Install the correct driver (check the right name):
    >>
    >> # ndiswrapper -i bcwl5.inf
    >>
    >> 6. Check it's installed:
    >>
    >> # ndiswrapper -l
    >>
    >> You should see "hardware present" if the driver is correct (remember to
    >> meake sure the hardware IS present :-)
    >>
    >> 7. Set the interface name up:
    >>
    >> # ndiswrapper -m
    >>
    >> 8. Disable the bcm43xx driver so it doesn't block ndiswrapper from the
    >> hardware: edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and put "blacklist bcm43xx" on a
    >> line by itself at the end of the file.
    >>
    >> 9. Ensure the bcm43xx driver is unloaded:
    >>
    >> # modprobe -r bcm43xx
    >>
    >> 10. Load ndiswrapper:
    >>
    >> # modprobe ndiswrapper
    >>
    >> 11. Use your favourite connection software - (k)network manager or
    >> whatever and tell us whether you can see the network and or connect.
    >>
    >> It may look compicated, but it takes about 30 seconds to do all that once
    >> one's done it a couple of times.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> Mark

    >I cannot find a source for bcw15.inf or bcw15.sys anywhere on google.

    Not least because you substituted a number one for the letter ell in the
    name.
    They will be a part of your windows distribution or on the disk that came
    with the wireless. There is no source. It is only supplied by broadcom as a
    binary file.

  15. Re: Wireless not working on laptop

    Zuvuya writes:

    >Ok, the XP driver is bcmw15.inf and bcmw15.sys, not bcw15.inf and bcw15.sys.

    No, it is bcmwl5, not bcmw15. Or in capitol letters BCMWL5.

+ Reply to Thread