SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!! - Suse

This is a discussion on SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!! - Suse ; Hi all. I have just installed SuSE 10.3 on my Compal DL71 laptop. The install took several hours, and the responce of the installed system is appalling slow. The diskdrive light is steady on while the desktop is frozen for ...

  1. SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!!

    Hi all.

    I have just installed SuSE 10.3 on my Compal DL71 laptop. The install
    took several hours, and the responce of the installed system is appalling
    slow. The diskdrive light is steady on while the desktop is frozen for
    minutes. The install went flawlessly apart from the long time. All
    devices is detected, and everything seems to work, except for the fact that
    the system crawls. To me there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere in the
    system, which slows everything down. Does anybody know what the problem
    is. Has anybody experienced the same problem ?

    Thanks in advance

    Allan, Copenhagen.

  2. Re: SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!!

    Hi,

    I run OpenSuSE 10.3 from an external HD connected via USB to my IBM
    ThinkPad R40. For me, 10.3 works very well. I've got the impression
    it's a bit faster booting than 10.2, and definitely way way faster
    than 10.2 when it comes to software management/updating. I didn't
    tweak it or anything, just out of the box. By the way, installation
    for me took perhaps one hour only.

    Andy

  3. Re: SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!!

    ACL wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have just installed SuSE 10.3 on my Compal DL71 laptop. The install
    > took several hours, and the responce of the installed system is appalling
    > slow. The diskdrive light is steady on while the desktop is frozen for
    > minutes. The install went flawlessly apart from the long time. All
    > devices is detected, and everything seems to work, except for the fact that
    > the system crawls. To me there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere in the
    > system, which slows everything down. Does anybody know what the problem
    > is. Has anybody experienced the same problem ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Allan, Copenhagen.

    It's usually always caused by insufficient or incompatible memory. Could
    have a defective hard drive, over heated processor or motherboard. Or it
    could be stuck in voltage save mode.

  4. Re: SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!!

    Yes terrible. I'm running suse10.3 on hp pavillion laptop with 2gb ram
    and web access is unusably slow. System itself running fine, just web
    access speed terrible.

  5. Re: SuSE 10.3 running slow on laptop !!!

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:30:40 -0700, steve@shrigz.com wrote:

    > Yes terrible. I'm running suse10.3 on hp pavillion laptop with 2gb ram
    > and web access is unusably slow. System itself running fine, just web
    > access speed terrible.

    Did you disable IPv6 in Firefox's config?

+ Reply to Thread