install to usb drive - Suse

This is a discussion on install to usb drive - Suse ; I have nice new company Thinkpad with XP and no admin rights. For professional reasons, I dont want to mess with the machine as it is when connected to the company network but I would like, for other reasons, a ...

  1. install to usb drive

    I have nice new company Thinkpad with XP and no admin rights. For
    professional reasons, I dont want to mess with the machine as it is when
    connected to the company network but I would like, for other reasons, a
    Suse option when not on the network (mainly for watching movies etc while
    travelling). Although the machine is 'locked down' (all values of 'XP' and
    'locked'...) it will let me boot from both DVD and USB.

    So, would I be right in thinking that I could install Linux to a USB
    drive, and if GRUB is also on the USB drive (sdb) and this would not
    effect the existing hard disk at all? That is, hard disk unchanged, but
    temporary boot device option in ROM would let me choose the USB drive when
    I am out and about?

    Note: this is not a 'try it and see' option - I dont want to have to crawl
    back to sys support saying 'I broke my brand new laptop..'!

  2. Re: install to usb drive

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:56:52 +0000, central77 wrote:

    > I have nice new company Thinkpad with XP and no admin rights. For
    > professional reasons, I dont want to mess with the machine as it is when
    > connected to the company network but I would like, for other reasons, a
    > Suse option when not on the network (mainly for watching movies etc while
    > travelling). Although the machine is 'locked down' (all values of 'XP' and
    > 'locked'...) it will let me boot from both DVD and USB.

    So, not locked down at all....

    > So, would I be right in thinking that I could install Linux to a USB
    > drive, and if GRUB is also on the USB drive (sdb) and this would not
    > effect the existing hard disk at all? That is, hard disk unchanged, but
    > temporary boot device option in ROM would let me choose the USB drive when
    > I am out and about?

    Yes. Suse would be far from the first choice for this use case though.

    Consider starting with Slax and see how it goes, then look at some of its
    derivatives.

    > Note: this is not a 'try it and see' option - I dont want to have to
    > crawl back to sys support saying 'I broke my brand new laptop..'!

    You never say that. You say "Windows just stopped working for some reason!"

    ;-)

  3. Re: install to usb drive

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:11:41 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:56:52 +0000, central77 wrote:
    >

    >> Although the machine is 'locked down' (all values of 'XP' and
    >> 'locked'...) it will let me boot from both DVD and USB.

    > So, not locked down at all....

    Well, indeed not, but I dont really want to make things screamingly
    obvious

    >> So, would I be right in thinking that I could install Linux to a USB
    >> drive, and if GRUB is also on the USB drive (sdb) and this would not
    >> effect the existing hard disk at all? That is, hard disk unchanged, but
    >> temporary boot device option in ROM would let me choose the USB drive
    >> when I am out and about?

    > Yes. Suse would be far from the first choice for this use case though.
    >
    > Consider starting with Slax and see how it goes, then look at some of
    > its derivatives.

    Hmm, Suse would have been first choice because I use it on my own
    hardware, but if the concept is workable, then maybe I'll look around

    >> Note: this is not a 'try it and see' option - I dont want to have to
    >> crawl back to sys support saying 'I broke my brand new laptop..'!

    > You never say that. You say "Windows just stopped working for some
    > reason!"
    >
    > ;-)

    Sadly, I feel that even a windows admin would have to be extremely stupid
    not to notice a screwed up GRUB start menu. Oh, hang on, as you were

    Thanks for the thoughts

+ Reply to Thread