Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media? - Suse

This is a discussion on Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media? - Suse ; Hello everybody, In my new computer I have a SD card reader which I would like to work under SuSE 10.3. However, after searching the internet I cannot find any driver which suites my needs. It needs at least to ...

  1. Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media?

    Hello everybody,

    In my new computer I have a SD card reader which I would like to work
    under SuSE 10.3. However, after searching the internet I cannot find any
    driver which suites my needs. It needs at least to read photos from SD
    and Flash cards. Does anybody know a solution for this problem? Probably
    you can send me a link to a page with suitable drivers?

    Thanks in advance,

    John.

  2. Re: Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media?

    Hi All,

    At second thought, the solution seems to be easier than at first
    thought. in my old SuSE 10.0 distribution there was no (or partially!)
    support for SD media. Appearently, SuSE 10.2 has build in support.
    Me Stupid... ;-)

    John.

    Johan van den Boogaard schreef:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > In my new computer I have a SD card reader which I would like to work
    > under SuSE 10.3. However, after searching the internet I cannot find any
    > driver which suites my needs. It needs at least to read photos from SD
    > and Flash cards. Does anybody know a solution for this problem? Probably
    > you can send me a link to a page with suitable drivers?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > John.

  3. Re: Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media?

    On 2007-10-14, Johan van den Boogaard wrote:

    > At second thought, the solution seems to be easier than at first
    > thought. in my old SuSE 10.0 distribution there was no (or partially!)
    > support for SD media. Appearently, SuSE 10.2 has build in support.
    > Me Stupid... ;-)

    I don't understand. I would have asumed the card reader in question would
    identify itself as a USB Mass Storage device, just like any external card
    reader. Therefore it should have been supported with the allready present
    USB driver.

    PS: How can a card reader, any card reader, be only partially supported?
    It's just reading a memory card. With files on it. Whatever kind of files.
    Which only have to be read/written.

    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: Urgent question: What driver to use for SuSE 10.3 and SD Media?

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:44:25 +0200, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2007-10-14, Johan van den Boogaard wrote:
    >
    >> At second thought, the solution seems to be easier than at first
    >> thought. in my old SuSE 10.0 distribution there was no (or partially!)
    >> support for SD media. Appearently, SuSE 10.2 has build in support.
    >> Me Stupid... ;-)

    > I don't understand. I would have asumed the card reader in question would
    > identify itself as a USB Mass Storage device, just like any external card
    > reader. Therefore it should have been supported with the allready present
    > USB driver.

    Some (most?) internal card readers are right on the PCI bus, no USB
    involved.

    > PS: How can a card reader, any card reader, be only partially supported?
    > It's just reading a memory card. With files on it. Whatever kind of
    > files. Which only have to be read/written.

    Well, up to somewhere about kernel 2.6.18 or so, the card would be
    recognised but not mapped to anything that could be mounted. This was
    listed as a bug on the lkml, and fixed by about 2.6.20-something.

+ Reply to Thread