Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working - Suse ; I can't get the dependency checker to be happy. For example, I told it to remove banshee and OpenOffice. It keeps saying that they cannot be installed due to conflicts! Each time, I tell it to not install packages, and ...

  1. Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working

    I can't get the dependency checker to be happy. For example, I told it
    to remove banshee and OpenOffice. It keeps saying that they cannot be
    installed due to conflicts!

    Each time, I tell it to not install packages, and then the checker
    tells me again it cannot install them.

    How does one resolve these conflicts?

    Jim Rome

  2. Re: Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > I can't get the dependency checker to be happy. For example, I told it
    > to remove banshee and OpenOffice. It keeps saying that they cannot be
    > installed due to conflicts!
    >
    > Each time, I tell it to not install packages, and then the checker
    > tells me again it cannot install them.
    >
    > How does one resolve these conflicts?
    >
    > Jim Rome

    I encountered the same problems. I just decided to set up the pc from
    scratch. The only thing I have to sort out which application files I
    have to back up to avoid losing data (like mail etc.). Btw, I was
    installing 10.3 64 bit.

    On one of my other machines 103 (32 bit) did not recognize any of the
    linux drives on the system. There too I just reinstalled from scratch.

    This is the first release in many years where I have encountered these
    problems.

    Joost

  3. Re: Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working

    Joost van der Waa wrote:

    > This is the first release in many years where I have encountered these
    > problems.

    yes openSUSE 10.3 is not good for installing compare to 10.2
    but the running openSUSE 10.3 rocks all the way.

    on 4 pc's just one problem found
    wlan over a ndiswrapper driver.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working

    Joost van der Waa wrote:

    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >> I can't get the dependency checker to be happy. For example, I told it
    >> to remove banshee and OpenOffice. It keeps saying that they cannot be
    >> installed due to conflicts!
    >>
    >> Each time, I tell it to not install packages, and then the checker
    >> tells me again it cannot install them.
    >>
    >> How does one resolve these conflicts?
    >>
    >> Jim Rome
    >>

    > I encountered the same problems. I just decided to set up the pc from
    > scratch. The only thing I have to sort out which application files I
    > have to back up to avoid losing data (like mail etc.). Btw, I was
    > installing 10.3 64 bit.
    >
    > On one of my other machines 103 (32 bit) did not recognize any of the
    > linux drives on the system. There too I just reinstalled from scratch.
    >
    > This is the first release in many years where I have encountered these
    > problems.

    I am cursed with several machines so I had a batch to work with. Even
    updating from RC1 to GM I had some minor dependency issues. I normally
    install both Gnome and KDE to accomodate the picky users and the one thing
    that the install always complained about was Totem and relate add-ons like
    codecs. I found that telling it to uninstall all the conflicting programs
    usually worked - and most times the same program in a different version was
    installed. I did have to re-aquire a few things like a couple of plugins
    and some off-beat programs but the update was successful where the old
    system was basically a vanilla system.

    Where I really got into a rat's nest was with one machine that I had updated
    from 10.0 -> 10.2 and used some fairly extensive commercial programs (DB2,
    for one). That one turned into dependency hell during the update and I
    just gave it up. That one is a re-build project for sure.

    I have one significant issue (aside from the 64/32 issues) on all machines.
    I run a medium sized DB2 setup which I must keep running. The installation
    program crashes with a Java-related error on both the 64-bit and the 32-bit
    versions. The same error is reported on a test update box where I have a
    DB2 instance set aside for testing. It only occurs when I try to run the
    Java based toolkit - everything is happy when I access the instance from
    another machine (and that uses a Java interface). Since the programs are
    the same and the Java version is identical between 10.2 and 10.3 I have to
    assume there is a change. The error is in a memory management call from
    the JVM so you might want to test if you use a lot of Java apps.

    Other than that one Java problem, the update has been pretty solid here so
    long as the add-ons aren't causing you dependency runarounds.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: Upgrade 10.2->10.3 dependencies not working

    EOS wrote:

    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >
    >> This is the first release in many years where I have encountered these
    >> problems.

    > yes openSUSE 10.3 is not good for installing compare to 10.2
    > but the running openSUSE 10.3 rocks all the way.
    >
    > on 4 pc's just one problem found
    > wlan over a ndiswrapper driver.

    what do you your pc for?

+ Reply to Thread