How to install apache2 - Suse

This is a discussion on How to install apache2 - Suse ; According to YaST, I am not missing anything for apache2 except for a php module. However, there is nothing in the /etc/apache2 directory and doing a sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart does nothing. Therefore, I am willing to bet that apache2 is ...

  1. How to install apache2

    According to YaST, I am not missing anything for apache2 except for
    a php module. However, there is nothing in the /etc/apache2
    directory and doing a sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart does
    nothing. Therefore, I am willing to bet that apache2 is
    not installed. So, my question is, if YaST does not
    make apache2 available to me for installation, how
    can I install it? Can I simply download a tar ball
    from the Apache site and run the standard configure/build
    combination, or is there an easier way with openSuse
    to do this.

    Thanks

    --
    I have nothing further to say

  2. Re: How to install apache2

    Hi,

    If you are considering to use an alternative to the Yast installation,
    you may want to take a look at XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/
    index.html). XAMPP comes with several goodies that you probably want
    to use with your Apache like PHP, Perl, etc. This is a bundle that
    you just untar and it's really ready to use out of the box. When you
    don't want it anymore, just delete the directory. You don't need to
    worry about dependencies, as everything it needs to run is included
    and pre-configured in the tar file.

    Yours,
    Andy

  3. Re: How to install apache2

    The Swift Theif wrote:

    > According to YaST, I am not missing anything for apache2 except for
    > a php module. However, there is nothing in the /etc/apache2
    > directory and doing a sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart does
    > nothing. Therefore, I am willing to bet that apache2 is
    > not installed. So, my question is, if YaST does not
    > make apache2 available to me for installation, how
    > can I install it? Can I simply download a tar ball
    > from the Apache site and run the standard configure/build
    > combination, or is there an easier way with openSuse
    > to do this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Seems no one else has answered you so here goes my 2¢ worth.

    You seem to believe you have installed the Apache2 packages yet you don't
    see anything in /etc/apache2.

    1st, use Yast to verify you do have all the packages you need/want. Use
    the 'Search' function in 'Software Management' and search for Apache.
    Also, and it's a big also, search for Yast and make sure you have
    the 'yast2-http-server' package installed ! This takes us to '2nd'.

    2nd, after installing the forementioned, in Yast go to 'Network Services'
    and click on the now available 'HTTP Server' module. Set up Apache to
    satart at boot up, unless that's not what you want.. The default values
    should be o.k. After saving the settings open a web browser and point it
    to http://localhost and you should see the default page load.

  4. Re: How to install apache2

    On 2007-10-15, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Seems no one else has answered you so here goes my 2¢ worth.
    >
    > You seem to believe you have installed the Apache2 packages yet you don't
    > see anything in /etc/apache2.

    Yes. When I try to start apache using the standard
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart I get a command not found
    or something similar. I tried apache restart just
    for larks thinking I might have buggered it up and got the
    same message.

    > 1st, use Yast to verify you do have all the packages you need/want.
    > Use the 'Search' function in 'Software Management' and search for Apache.

    Did that. All it says I am missing is a php module.

    > Also, and it's a big also, search for Yast and make sure you have
    > the 'yast2-http-server' package installed !

    Ahhh.... I did not know about this piece. I'll do what you say
    and then come back to the "2nd" once I switch back over to openSuse.

    > to http://localhost and you should see the default page load.

    Actually, what I should see (if openSuse does it like Ubuntu) is the
    index.html which is in my /var/www directory, since I have set it up
    to be shared between the two distributions.

    --
    I have nothing further to add to this.

  5. Re: How to install apache2

    Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    > On 2007-10-15, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >> Seems no one else has answered you so here goes my 2¢ worth.
    >>
    >> You seem to believe you have installed the Apache2 packages yet you don't
    >> see anything in /etc/apache2.

    > Yes. When I try to start apache using the standard
    > sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart I get a command not found
    > or something similar. I tried apache restart just
    > for larks thinking I might have buggered it up and got the
    > same message.
    >

    >> 1st, use Yast to verify you do have all the packages you need/want.
    >> Use the 'Search' function in 'Software Management' and search for
    >> Apache.

    > Did that. All it says I am missing is a php module.
    >

    >> Also, and it's a big also, search for Yast and make sure you have
    >> the 'yast2-http-server' package installed !

    > Ahhh.... I did not know about this piece. I'll do what you say
    > and then come back to the "2nd" once I switch back over to openSuse.
    >
    >> to http://localhost and you should see the default page load.

    > Actually, what I should see (if openSuse does it like Ubuntu) is the
    > index.html which is in my /var/www directory, since I have set it up
    > to be shared between the two distributions.

    Once you get the yast module installed and use it to configure Apache all
    should be well. Also, to launch manually the proper command in SuSE would
    be rcapache2 start (or stop or restart) !!

+ Reply to Thread