cannot shutdown suse 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on cannot shutdown suse 10.3 - Suse ; I'm pretty new to linux and had been running 10.1, just upgraded to 10.3. The first thing I noticed is I cannot shutdown remotely any longer. I normally login using VNC and used to be able to select shutdown as ...

  1. cannot shutdown suse 10.3

    I'm pretty new to linux and had been running 10.1, just
    upgraded to 10.3. The first thing I noticed is I cannot
    shutdown remotely any longer. I normally login using VNC and
    used to be able to select shutdown as a logout option under 10.1,
    now that options is disabled and on the login screen only the
    disconnect option appears. I'm sure this is an improved security
    thing. Even running shutdown from a terminal window doesn't
    power down the machine. Can someone share with me the way to
    change this to permit shutdowns from the login screen and re-enable
    the shutdown option during logout?

    TIA
    ron

  2. Re: cannot shutdown suse 10.3

    Ron wrote:

    > I'm pretty new to linux and had been running 10.1, just
    > upgraded to 10.3. The first thing I noticed is I cannot
    > shutdown remotely any longer. I normally login using VNC and
    > used to be able to select shutdown as a logout option under 10.1,
    > now that options is disabled and on the login screen only the
    > disconnect option appears. I'm sure this is an improved security
    > thing. Even running shutdown from a terminal window doesn't
    > power down the machine. Can someone share with me the way to
    > change this to permit shutdowns from the login screen and re-enable
    > the shutdown option during logout?
    >
    > TIA
    > ron

    10.2 has less problems i ran 10.3 but could not get it to do what i wanted
    i also upgrade a 10.2 laptop and all was not well takes longer to boot up
    some people have had no problems with it and yes in some areas it is better
    than 10.2 but 10.2 is more stable i have found.

+ Reply to Thread