What's the fix if an app will only run in root? - Suse

This is a discussion on What's the fix if an app will only run in root? - Suse ; I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

  1. What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    only wants to run in root?

  2. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    > iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    > cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    > launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    > only wants to run in root?


    sudo ?

    add in /etc/sudoers
    "the_user ALL=NOPASSWD: /your_bin_file"
    then you are able to run "/your_bin_file" under root rights
    with "sudo /your_bin_file"


    but it's for tranfer music file to the mp3 player?
    why not use amarok? (maby you need libmtp)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.3

  3. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    EOS wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    >> iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    >> cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    >> launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    >> only wants to run in root?

    >
    > sudo ?
    >
    > add in /etc/sudoers
    > "the_user ALL=NOPASSWD: /your_bin_file"
    > then you are able to run "/your_bin_file" under root rights
    > with "sudo /your_bin_file"
    >
    >
    > but it's for tranfer music file to the mp3 player?
    > why not use amarok? (maby you need libmtp)

    Thanks for the help. But you are a little over my head. I do not have
    any /etc/sudoers. And what does your_bin_file refer to and where is it?
    Amarok will not detect the MP3 device even though it is compatible.
    libmtp is installed.

  4. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > Thanks for the help. But you are a little over my head. I do not have
    > any /etc/sudoers.


    what are you running?
    you are not running SLED or openSUSE?
    you must have a file called "sudoers" ;-)

    what is your Iriver type/version?
    and please more info ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.3

  5. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    EOS wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the help. But you are a little over my head. I do not have
    >> any /etc/sudoers.

    >
    > what are you running?
    > you are not running SLED or openSUSE?
    > you must have a file called "sudoers" ;-)
    >
    > what is your Iriver type/version?
    > and please more info ;-)

    I'm running Suse 10.3.
    Yes. There is a /etc/sudoers. I didn't know I had to be in root to see it.
    The iRiver package is ifpgui-0.12.0-SuSE10.x.i586. Most current version.
    All dependencies satisfied.
    The device is an iRiver ifp790.

    Thanks a million for this help.

  6. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > I'm running Suse 10.3.
    > Yes. There is a /etc/sudoers.


    LOL, it's openSUSE 10.3

    but open kwrite (under root)
    (open konsole --> su --> kwrite)
    search for "/etc/sudoers" -----> under

    # User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL
    the_user ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/ifpgui/ifpgui


    then you can run "sudo ifpgui" as normal user
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.3

  7. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    EOS wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Suse 10.3.
    >> Yes. There is a /etc/sudoers.

    >
    > LOL, it's openSUSE 10.3
    >
    > but open kwrite (under root)
    > (open konsole --> su --> kwrite)
    > search for "/etc/sudoers" -----> under
    >
    > # User privilege specification
    > root ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL
    > the_user ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/ifpgui/ifpgui
    >
    >
    > then you can run "sudo ifpgui" as normal user


    Is "the_user" in the line above supposed to be an alias name or my
    actual user name? I presumed my user name. "sudo ifpgui" or "user_name
    ifpgui" is rejected as a terminal command.

    I got all this done by editing sudoers. The sudo through yast confirms
    it. Unless I'm in root or as a superuser, ifpgui still gives the following:
    could not communicate with the iriver device.
    could not get the listing for ifp:///

    As root or superuser it runs just fine but shows the following in the
    terminal window:
    Loading translation file ifpgui_POSIX failed
    Loading translation file qt_POSIX failed

    Why was all this unnecessary in suse 10.2 ?

  8. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >> GeorgeW wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running Suse 10.3.
    >>> Yes. There is a /etc/sudoers.

    >>
    >> LOL, it's openSUSE 10.3
    >>
    >> but open kwrite (under root)
    >> (open konsole --> su --> kwrite)
    >> search for "/etc/sudoers" -----> under
    >>
    >> # User privilege specification
    >> root ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL
    >> the_user ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/ifpgui/ifpgui
    >>
    >>
    >> then you can run "sudo ifpgui" as normal user

    >
    > Is "the_user" in the line above supposed to be an alias name or my
    > actual user name? I presumed my user name. "sudo ifpgui" or "user_name
    > ifpgui" is rejected as a terminal command.
    >
    > I got all this done by editing sudoers. The sudo through yast confirms
    > it. Unless I'm in root or as a superuser, ifpgui still gives the following:
    > could not communicate with the iriver device.
    > could not get the listing for ifp:///
    >
    > As root or superuser it runs just fine but shows the following in the
    > terminal window:
    > Loading translation file ifpgui_POSIX failed
    > Loading translation file qt_POSIX failed
    >
    > Why was all this unnecessary in suse 10.2 ?


    I contacted one of the developers. He got back to me right away. He said
    that he must also run ifpgui as root or superuser. He also said that the
    solution is to get the udev settings correct and that he will get it
    figured out shortly. I wish I knew what udev was.

  9. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    > iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    > cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    > launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    > only wants to run in root?

    Maybe: If you use KDE, go root, right click on ifpgui icon,
    select properties, select permissions. You should now be able
    to change the user name from root to your name. make sure
    that the permissions say Read and Write. Turn on execute if
    necessary. Save.
    Don.
    Keep smiling.


  10. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    don wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >> I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    >> iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs
    >> but cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or
    >> when launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something
    >> that only wants to run in root?

    > Maybe: If you use KDE, go root, right click on ifpgui icon, select
    > properties, select permissions. You should now be able to change the
    > user name from root to your name. make sure that the permissions say
    > Read and Write. Turn on execute if necessary. Save.
    > Don.
    > Keep smiling.
    >

    Don - I tried that. Won't work. This thing wants to run in root or
    superuser only. I contacted the developers. They are having the same
    problem. They claim its a matter of getting the udev settings right.
    They are working on it. Good thing because I don't know what udev is.

  11. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:39:53 -0600, GeorgeW
    wrote:

    >don wrote:
    >> GeorgeW wrote:
    >>> I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    >>> iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs
    >>> but cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or
    >>> when launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something
    >>> that only wants to run in root?

    >> Maybe: If you use KDE, go root, right click on ifpgui icon, select
    >> properties, select permissions. You should now be able to change the
    >> user name from root to your name. make sure that the permissions say
    >> Read and Write. Turn on execute if necessary. Save.
    >> Don.
    >> Keep smiling.
    >>

    >Don - I tried that. Won't work. This thing wants to run in root or
    >superuser only. I contacted the developers. They are having the same
    >problem. They claim its a matter of getting the udev settings right.
    >They are working on it. Good thing because I don't know what udev is.


    The application probably install some files or directories in root's
    home folder.

    Can't be accessed by another user.

    They should probably examine their code to make it more universal.

    OR perhaps you installed it from a different directory than you did in
    the previous "working" setup, and that's what has thrown it a curve.

  12. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    > iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    > cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    > launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    > only wants to run in root?


    There is a file "/etc/udev/rules.c/50-udev-default.rules", which, among
    other things, defines default permissions. In SUSE 10.2 and in 10.3 I have
    found it necessary to edit the line
    KERNEL=="sg*", GROUP="disk", MODE="0640"
    to
    KERNEL=="sg*", GROUP="disk", MODE="0660"
    in order to get Kooka to recognise my scanner so that it can be used by
    normal mortals and not just by root.

    Maybe you can find a line referring to your USB device and try the same.

    --
    Les
    Posted exclusively to the alt.os.linux.suse newsgroup on Usenet

  13. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    > iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    > cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    > launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    > only wants to run in root?


    Is this an app that *should* only run in root? It doesn't sound like it.
    I'm wondering if it's a permissions problem on /dev/something.

  14. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, GeorgeW wrote:-


    >Don - I tried that. Won't work. This thing wants to run in root or
    >superuser only. I contacted the developers. They are having the same
    >problem. They claim its a matter of getting the udev settings right.
    >They are working on it. Good thing because I don't know what udev is.


    While I'm not keen on using it, you could try making changing the
    permissions so it runs as user root:

    chmod 4755 $(which ifpgui)


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  15. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    On 2007-10-14 17:30, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, GeorgeW wrote:-
    >
    >
    >> Don - I tried that. Won't work. This thing wants to run in root or
    >> superuser only. I contacted the developers. They are having the same
    >> problem. They claim its a matter of getting the udev settings right.
    >> They are working on it. Good thing because I don't know what udev is.

    >
    > While I'm not keen on using it, you could try making changing the
    > permissions so it runs as user root:
    >
    > chmod 4755 $(which ifpgui)
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt
    >


    That is something to be careful with.
    Some binaries can't handle this, and has options to open files for
    input or output, so any user can destroy the system.

    The right thing is to wait for a udev fix, so the logged in user has
    access to plugged in USB devices.
    A temp fix can be sudo or a wrapper that are using sudo
    fix the permission of the device, and then run .

    Suse often add acl's like setfacl -m user::rw
    to add rw permission for a device, so you can have multiple desktops
    with different users, using the same hardware.

    /bb

  16. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root?

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, birre wrote:-

    >On 2007-10-14 17:30, David Bolt wrote:


    >> While I'm not keen on using it, you could try making changing the
    >> permissions so it runs as user root:
    >> chmod 4755 $(which ifpgui)
    >> Regards,
    >> David Bolt
    >>

    >
    >That is something to be careful with.
    >Some binaries can't handle this, and has options to open files for
    >input or output, so any user can destroy the system.


    That's one of the reasons I said I wasn't keen on it.

    >The right thing is to wait for a udev fix, so the logged in user has
    >access to plugged in USB devices.


    Or read up about udev a make the required changes. A fix from the
    author(s) would be a better idea.

    >A temp fix can be sudo or a wrapper that are using sudo
    >fix the permission of the device, and then run .


    Which basically does the same as using as a setuid program.

    >Suse often add acl's like setfacl -m user::rw
    >to add rw permission for a device, so you can have multiple desktops
    >with different users, using the same hardware.


    Another thought is to see what the GID is for the device and then make
    the user a member of that group. If the device is writeable by that
    group, then it _should_ allow the user access to the device.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  17. Re: What's the fix if an app will only run in root ? app = ifpgui

    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> I run a program called ifpgui. Its a graphical interface to control an
    >> iRiver MP3 player. Was no problem in suse 10.2. Under 10.3, it runs but
    >> cannot communicate with the USB player. It runs perfect in root or when
    >> launched from a superuser terminal. Whats the fix for something that
    >> only wants to run in root?

    >


    Here is the fix if anyone needs it. This is a fix for ifpgui and not
    necessarily for any other apps that are demanding root. The ifpgui
    developer sent me this remedy:

    modify /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules
    # libusb device access
    Change the mode to "666" or "0666"

    I needed to be in root to edit the file. Maybe superuser can do it. In
    my case, the mode was 0644 before I changed it. ifpgui now runs perfect
    without superuser or root.

+ Reply to Thread