Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3 - Suse ; Hi, I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine. Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 ...

  1. Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Hi,

    I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

  2. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Bert Ramakers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    > Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    > Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

    Same problem as with 10.2 and x86_64 version.

  3. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
    > Bert Ramakers wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    >> Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    >> Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

    > Same problem as with 10.2 and x86_64 version.

    I am yet using 10.2/64 bit and Java is hot and steamy in my latest
    Firefox. I do keep a symlink to the Java .so file in Firefox´s own
    plugins directory as I have with other distros including 32 bit. I
    suggest typing aboutlugins in Firefox to see what you have enabled. I
    bet Java is not. If you install it with yast it should be there. But
    check Firefox´s options menus to see that Java and Jscript are selected
    too. And do find the .so file and make that symlink.

  4. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Bert Ramakers schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    > Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    > Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

    There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.

    I have a 10.2 Suse 64 bit system, but a 32 bit Firefox. Here Java works fine.

    Ciao

    Karl

  5. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
    >> Bert Ramakers wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    >>> Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    >>> Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

    >> Same problem as with 10.2 and x86_64 version.

    > I am yet using 10.2/64 bit and Java is hot and steamy in my latest
    > Firefox. I do keep a symlink to the Java .so file in Firefox´s own
    > plugins directory as I have with other distros including 32 bit. I
    > suggest typing aboutlugins in Firefox to see what you have enabled. I
    > bet Java is not. If you install it with yast it should be there. But
    > check Firefox´s options menus to see that Java and Jscript are selected
    > too. And do find the .so file and make that symlink.

    There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.
    You must have 32 bit firefox of older Java.

  6. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Punjab The Sailor Man schreef:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:

    >>> Same problem as with 10.2 and x86_64 version.

    >> I am yet using 10.2/64 bit and Java is hot and steamy in my latest
    >> Firefox. I do keep a symlink to the Java .so file in Firefox´s own
    >> plugins directory as I have with other distros including 32 bit. I
    >> suggest typing aboutlugins in Firefox to see what you have enabled. I
    >> bet Java is not. If you install it with yast it should be there. But
    >> check Firefox´s options menus to see that Java and Jscript are selected
    >> too. And do find the .so file and make that symlink.

    > There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.
    > You must have 32 bit firefox of older Java.

    Thanks that worked. I installed the 32 bit version of Firefox.

  7. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    Bert Ramakers wrote:
    > Punjab The Sailor Man schreef:
    >> Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    >>> I am yet using 10.2/64 bit and Java is hot and steamy in my latest
    >>> Firefox. I do keep a symlink to the Java .so file in Firefox´s own
    >>> plugins directory as I have with other distros including 32 bit. I
    >>> suggest typing aboutlugins in Firefox to see what you have enabled. I
    >>> bet Java is not. If you install it with yast it should be there. But
    >>> check Firefox´s options menus to see that Java and Jscript are selected
    >>> too. And do find the .so file and make that symlink.

    >> There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.
    >> You must have 32 bit firefox of older Java.

    > Thanks that worked. I installed the 32 bit version of Firefox.

    Punjab, silly me, I did not mean to suggest there was a 64 bit java.
    Only what I did with 32 bit distros to imply that my thought was that 32
    or 64 was not the issue, but fox´s ability to detect any Java at all.
    In that regard brute force has worked for me.

  8. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    karl wrote:

    > Bert Ramakers schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just installed OpenSuse 10.3 and found that java doesn't works in
    >> Firefox. I use the 64 bit version. On another 32 bit PC java works fine.
    >> Does anybody has a clew how to get java work on 64 bit?

    > There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.
    >
    > I have a 10.2 Suse 64 bit system, but a 32 bit Firefox. Here Java works
    > fine.
    >
    > Ciao
    >
    > Karl

    But that is 10.2. There IS a problem with Java and GTK in 10.3 that will be
    patched shortly.

    Dave

  9. Re: Firefox and jave in Suse 10.3

    On Oct 14, 11:18 am, Bert Ramakers wrote:
    > Punjab The Sailor Man schreef:
    >
    > > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > >> I am yet using 10.2/64 bit and Java is hot and steamy in my latest
    > >> Firefox. I do keep a symlink to the Java .so file in Firefox´s own
    > >> plugins directory as I have with other distros including 32 bit. I
    > >> suggest typing aboutlugins in Firefox to see what you have enabled. I
    > >> bet Java is not. If you install it with yast it should be there. But
    > >> check Firefox´s options menus to see that Java and Jscript are selected
    > >> too. And do find the .so file and make that symlink.

    > > There is no 64 bit Java plugin in the newer Java versions 1.5-.
    > > You must have 32 bit firefox of older Java.

    > Thanks that worked. I installed the 32 bit version of Firefox.

    How did you do that?

    In the repositories (main and non-oss) I couldn't find Firefox 32
    bits, only 64 bits...

    Is there another repository?

+ Reply to Thread