PCSC-lite will not start - Suse

This is a discussion on PCSC-lite will not start - Suse ; Hi all. I have installed SuSE 10.3 successfully, and is very pleased with the distro. As I have just purchased an Athena USB smartcard keyboard, I was very pleased to find out that the packages "PCs-lite-1.4.3-16.i586.rpm" and "pcsc-asedriveiiie-usb-3.5-13.i586.rpm" was available ...

  1. PCSC-lite will not start

    Hi all.

    I have installed SuSE 10.3 successfully, and is very pleased with the
    distro. As I have just purchased an Athena USB smartcard keyboard, I was
    very pleased to find out that the packages "PCs-lite-1.4.3-16.i586.rpm"
    and "pcsc-asedriveiiie-usb-3.5-13.i586.rpm" was available in the
    repository:
    ftp://ftp.hs.uni-hamburg.de/pub/mirr.../oss/suse/i586.

    This is just what I needed, and I installed both packages. But now comes
    my problem, it seems that the Damon is not started at startup, and I do not
    know how to do it manually. The utility testpcsc returns this message:

    linux-lt2e:~ # testpcsc

    MUSCLE PC/SC Lite unitary test Program

    THIS PROGRAM IS NOT DESIGNED AS A TESTING TOOL FOR END USERS!
    Do NOT use it unless you really know what you do.

    winscard_clnt.c:3420:SCardCheckDaemonAvailability( ) PCSC Not Running
    Testing SCardEstablishContext : Service not available.
    winscard_clnt.c:3420:SCardCheckDaemonAvailability( ) PCSC Not Running

    That tells me that the program is not running. Do anybody know how to
    start it.

    Thanks in advance.

    Allan, Copenhagen

  2. Re: PCSC-lite will not start

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:02:04 +0200, ACL wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have installed SuSE 10.3 successfully, and is very pleased with the
    > distro. As I have just purchased an Athena USB smartcard keyboard, I
    > was very pleased to find out that the packages
    > "PCs-lite-1.4.3-16.i586.rpm" and "pcsc-asedriveiiie-usb-3.5-13.i586.rpm"
    > was available in the repository:
    > ftp://ftp.hs.uni-hamburg.de/pub/mirr.../distribution/
    > 10.3/repo/oss/suse/i586.
    >
    > This is just what I needed, and I installed both packages. But now
    > comes
    > my problem, it seems that the Damon is not started at startup, and I do
    > not know how to do it manually. The utility testpcsc returns this
    > message:

    [snip]

    Start Yast, select System, select System Services (Runlevel). Find your
    PCSC daemon and start it. Using Expert settings will let you select which
    runlevel it should start in.

    --
    James
    *Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address

  3. Re: PCSC-lite will not start

    Hi all.

    This solved the problem. THANKS

    James Franklin wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:02:04 +0200, ACL wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> I have installed SuSE 10.3 successfully, and is very pleased with the
    >> distro. As I have just purchased an Athena USB smartcard keyboard, I
    >> was very pleased to find out that the packages
    >> "PCs-lite-1.4.3-16.i586.rpm" and "pcsc-asedriveiiie-usb-3.5-13.i586.rpm"
    >> was available in the repository:
    >> ftp://ftp.hs.uni-hamburg.de/pub/mirr.../distribution/
    >> 10.3/repo/oss/suse/i586.
    >>
    >> This is just what I needed, and I installed both packages. But now
    >> comes
    >> my problem, it seems that the Damon is not started at startup, and I do
    >> not know how to do it manually. The utility testpcsc returns this
    >> message:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Start Yast, select System, select System Services (Runlevel). Find your
    > PCSC daemon and start it. Using Expert settings will let you select which
    > runlevel it should start in.

+ Reply to Thread