Grub problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Grub problem - Suse ; Hello, openSUSE 10.3 I'm having trouble boot from my hard drive with grub. I get the list of options at the grub menu but then I get an error 23. grub is referring to device /dev/sdb3,2 and appears to be ...

  1. Grub problem

    Hello,

    openSUSE 10.3

    I'm having trouble boot from my hard drive with grub.

    I get the list of options at the grub menu but then I get an error 23.

    grub is referring to device /dev/sdb3,2 and appears to be complaining
    about this.

    What's the ,2 after the sdb3 referring to?

    Glenn

  2. Re: Grub problem

    Glenn Robinson schrieb:

    > grub is referring to device /dev/sdb3,2 and appears to be complaining
    > about this.
    >
    > What's the ,2 after the sdb3 referring to?

    Don't know, probably an error. Does it boot without the "2"? (you can edit
    the line inside grub for testing)

    Or use labels instead of device-names, an grub will find the right
    partition.

    Martin.
    --
    Demons are a Ghouls best Friend.

  3. Re: Grub problem

    Glenn Robinson wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > openSUSE 10.3
    >
    > I'm having trouble boot from my hard drive with grub.
    >
    > I get the list of options at the grub menu but then I get an error 23.
    >
    > grub is referring to device /dev/sdb3,2 and appears to be complaining
    > about this.
    >
    > What's the ,2 after the sdb3 referring to?
    >
    > Glenn

    I had the same problem. I thought it was because grub was looking in the
    wrong location but after trying various locations in
    the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, nothing worked. This had happened to me in a
    previous upgrade somewhere in the 9.x series.

    I have a suspicion that 10.3 does not like the reiser file system. So I
    loaded my copy of systemrescueCD and reformatted my installation disk to
    ext3 and did a new install. That worked for me. You do need have the
    luxury of sufficient disk space to be able to move things around.

    Ken D.

+ Reply to Thread