Yast in openSUSE 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Yast in openSUSE 10.2 - Suse ; Anyone know of a way to configure Yast to download all RPMs then install? Currently, when I do an online update, each update is downloaded then installed. Sometimes my connection goes down in the middle of updating my system. Until ...

  1. Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    Anyone know of a way to configure Yast to download all RPMs then install?
    Currently, when I do an online update, each update is downloaded then
    installed. Sometimes my connection goes down in the middle of updating my
    system. Until my connection comes back up my system is left in an
    inconsistent state.

    This also applies to installing software via Yast. If a RPM has many
    dependencies, each one is downloaded and installed. But the same problem
    happens if my connection goes down - inconsistent state.

    It would be much better if Yast were to download all the packages/updates
    first. Then when it has them all, it should install them. The Smart Package
    Manager does this. I was just wondering if Yast can be configured to do the
    same.

    Thanks,

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    There is one solution but not exactly what you want go the site and
    download all rpms and then in yast you can choose the option to add
    local repository as software source that way you can have rpms for
    further use.

  3. Re: Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    Chris wrote:
    > Anyone know of a way to configure Yast to download all RPMs then install?
    > Currently, when I do an online update, each update is downloaded then
    > installed. Sometimes my connection goes down in the middle of updating my
    > system. Until my connection comes back up my system is left in an
    > inconsistent state.
    >
    > This also applies to installing software via Yast. If a RPM has many
    > dependencies, each one is downloaded and installed. But the same problem
    > happens if my connection goes down - inconsistent state.
    >
    > It would be much better if Yast were to download all the packages/updates
    > first. Then when it has them all, it should install them. The Smart Package
    > Manager does this. I was just wondering if Yast can be configured to do the
    > same.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Just go to the update repository and download all the files marked for
    update. Put them in a directory and run createrepo which will create a
    repro data file, then add that directory to yast. and your updates will
    show up. You can put all your rpm's there and run createrepo again and
    do all installs with yast.

  4. Re: Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    >createrepo again and
    > do all installs with yast.

    Good one I did not knew about createrepo

  5. Re: Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
    > Just go to the update repository and download all the files marked for
    > update. Put them in a directory and run createrepo which will create a
    > repro data file, then add that directory to yast. and your updates will
    > show up. You can put all your rpm's there and run createrepo again and
    > do all installs with yast.

    I can't seem to find createrepo on my system. I'm using openSUSE 10.2. What
    is the path to createrepo?

    Thanks!

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: Yast in openSUSE 10.2

    Chris wrote:
    > I can't seem to find createrepo on my system. I'm using openSUSE 10.2. What
    > is the path to createrepo?

    It is not installed by default.

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

+ Reply to Thread