Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card? - Suse

This is a discussion on Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card? - Suse ; Greetings, I have a dandy new computer I built. But it lacks a parallel port. I want to hook my HP laserjet 4000 to it. I googled OpenSUSE hardware compatibility and looked at the results. Nothing about this was available. ...

  1. Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card?

    Greetings,
    I have a dandy new computer I built. But it lacks a parallel port. I
    want to hook my HP laserjet 4000 to it. I googled OpenSUSE hardware
    compatibility and looked at the results. Nothing about this was
    available. Anyone have any experience adding a parallel port via PCI or
    USB in OpenSUSE 10.2 or 10.3? Suggested hardware?

    Thanks,
    tom

  2. Re: Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card?

    Hi,

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > I have a dandy new computer I built. But it lacks a parallel port. I
    > want to hook my HP laserjet 4000 to it. I googled OpenSUSE hardware
    > compatibility and looked at the results. Nothing about this was
    > available. Anyone have any experience adding a parallel port via PCI or
    > USB in OpenSUSE 10.2 or 10.3? Suggested hardware?

    How about getting one of those little print server boxes from ebay?
    They have a parallel port for the printer and connect to Ethernet.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card?

    Andreas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >> I have a dandy new computer I built. But it lacks a parallel port. I
    >> want to hook my HP laserjet 4000 to it. I googled OpenSUSE hardware
    >> compatibility and looked at the results. Nothing about this was
    >> available. Anyone have any experience adding a parallel port via PCI or
    >> USB in OpenSUSE 10.2 or 10.3? Suggested hardware?

    > How about getting one of those little print server boxes from ebay?
    > They have a parallel port for the printer and connect to Ethernet.
    >
    > kind regards,
    > Andreas

    Thanks Andreas,
    I may give that a try. Better than leaving a computer running just for a
    printer server.
    Tom

  4. Re: Compatible PCI Parallel Port Card?

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Andreas wrote:
    >snip>

    Anyone have any experience adding a parallel port via PCI or
    >>> USB in OpenSUSE 10.2 or 10.3? Suggested hardware?

    >> How about getting one of those little print server boxes from ebay?
    >> They have a parallel port for the printer and connect to Ethernet.
    >>
    >> kind regards,
    >> Andreas

    Thanks again, Andreas. I got an Hp DirectJet 300x. It was a breeze to
    set up and works a charm with all connected boxes.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread