10.3 repair options abort - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 repair options abort - Suse ; Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and rebooted. This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works ...

  1. 10.3 repair options abort

    Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    rebooted.

    This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    installed except for qt3. Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    about it. This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good DVD.

    I made a new DVD with valid checksum and first installed it onto a Compaq
    Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    missing files. I am doing a full reinstall currently.

    John

  2. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, John Bowling wrote:-

    >Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    >selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    >rebooted.

    Not seen that, but only tried the repair option once. It didn't do the
    repair[0] but it still didn't shut the system down.

    >This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    >most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    >installed except for qt3.

    You didn't check the MD5SUM when you downloaded it, did you? And I bet
    you didn't do a media check either? They are supplied/there for a
    reason.

    >Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    >about it.

    You tried to do an upgrade install over the top of the existing install
    and it wouldn't do it?

    >This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good DVD.

    If a package failed to install, a repair won't do anything about it.
    Just go into the package management and force it to install the
    package(s) that were broken.

    >I made a new DVD with valid checksum

    You checked it this time?

    > and first installed it onto a Compaq
    >Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    >HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    >missing files.

    What makes you think it would add the missing files? Package management
    would if they were required to satisfy dependencies. If not, and they
    aren't required by an installed pattern, they won't be added. Then you
    just need to install them yourself.

    >I am doing a full reinstall currently.

    WTF for? Use the package management system. Tell it to either install
    the packages that it missed or, if it thinks they're there but the
    aren't, tell it to upgrade them. Either way would be a lot quicker than
    doing a full reinstall.

    [0] 10.3 on an iMac. For some reason the system refuses to boot from
    anything but the Mac OS partition. Repeated repairs/rewrites of the boot
    loader have done absolutely nothing so my present method on starting it
    is to boot the DVD, select install and then use the "boot installed
    system" option. And, I know it's not a SUSE issue, as I've also tried
    the PPC version of Debian and that fails in exactly the same way. I
    think it's related to the partitioning of the drive/drive size but can't
    test that until I get my hands on a much smaller drive (80GB or less).

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

  3. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, John Bowling wrote:-
    >
    >>Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    >>selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    >>rebooted.

    > Not seen that, but only tried the repair option once. It didn't do the
    > repair[0] but it still didn't shut the system down.
    >
    >>This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    >>most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    >>installed except for qt3.

    > You didn't check the MD5SUM when you downloaded it, did you? And I bet
    > you didn't do a media check either? They are supplied/there for a
    > reason.

    The download was fine, just had a problem with that DVD disk.

    >>Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    >>about it.

    > You tried to do an upgrade install over the top of the existing install
    > and it wouldn't do it?

    As part of finishing the install, it did an update and noticed the problem,
    but didn't do anything - but the bad DVD was still in the drive.

    >>This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good DVD.

    > If a package failed to install, a repair won't do anything about it.
    > Just go into the package management and force it to install the
    > package(s) that were broken.

    It never got to where it could check to see if there was anthing wrong with
    what was installed.

    >>I made a new DVD with valid checksum

    > You checked it this time?

    In K3b - passed - passed verification and K3b said the second disk was
    binary equivilent to the iso.

    >> and first installed it onto a Compaq
    >>Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    >>HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    >>missing files.

    > What makes you think it would add the missing files? Package management
    > would if they were required to satisfy dependencies. If not, and they
    > aren't required by an installed pattern, they won't be added. Then you
    > just need to install them yourself.
    >
    >>I am doing a full reinstall currently.

    > WTF for? Use the package management system. Tell it to either install
    > the packages that it missed or, if it thinks they're there but the
    > aren't, tell it to upgrade them. Either way would be a lot quicker than
    > doing a full reinstall.

    It's done now, and appears to be fine.
    Trying the repair modes again to check out their problems:

    From the DVD grub menu > Repair Installed System
    loads in linux until it gets to the blue screen with:
    >>> Linuxrc v3.0.20 (Kernel 2.6.22.5-31-default) <<<

    and a red box with "An error occurred during the installation" in yellow.
    Clicking on OK goes to the text mode install system. It will get to a
    rescue login: but 10.2 didn't have all that extra stuff to get to it.

    Going through a boot from DVD:
    Installations > Other Options > Repair Installed System
    Pressing return there makes it crash.

    This system has something odd about it, what I can't imagine it having
    anything to do with this, but -- It won't boot from any CD/DVD/Floppy that
    has a standard floppy boot function with the internal CD/DVD. It won't
    boot the 10.3 live CD (or any other live CD, including the UBCD) from the
    internal CD/DVD, or from a USB-FDD but it will boot those same CDs from an
    external USB-CDROM. - It's an ABIT mb. BIOS settings, except for making
    USB-CDROM the boot device, have no effect.

    > [0] 10.3 on an iMac. For some reason the system refuses to boot from
    > anything but the Mac OS partition.

    Sounds like an Apple thing to do - make the bios only able to boot from
    their partition. I haven't used Macs - I bought an Apple II gs when they
    first came out and that was everything that the Macs (and PCs) should have
    been - and there was a version of gnu that ran on it before Linux was
    introduced.

    > Repeated repairs/rewrites of the boot
    > loader have done absolutely nothing so my present method on starting it
    > is to boot the DVD, select install and then use the "boot installed
    > system" option. And, I know it's not a SUSE issue, as I've also tried
    > the PPC version of Debian and that fails in exactly the same way. I
    > think it's related to the partitioning of the drive/drive size but can't
    > test that until I get my hands on a much smaller drive (80GB or less).
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

  4. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    > selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    > rebooted.

    I had the same problem as above if i booted to init 3 and started YaST2 and
    went to software management i could not install anything just got a frozen
    screen

    > This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    > most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    > installed except for qt3. Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    > about it. This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good DVD.
    >
    > I made a new DVD with valid checksum and first installed it onto a Compaq
    > Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    > HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    > missing files. I am doing a full reinstall currently.

    i got a valid checksum and also done a media check that was ok. As far as i
    am concerned 10.3 has a few problems depending on what you want it for it
    can be good but then if you can't get what you want out of it, it's bad.
    if you like beryl it's bad.

    > John

  5. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, John Bowling wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >> [0] 10.3 on an iMac. For some reason the system refuses to boot from
    >> anything but the Mac OS partition.

    >Sounds like an Apple thing to do - make the bios only able to boot from
    >their partition. I haven't used Macs - I bought an Apple II gs when they
    >first came out and that was everything that the Macs (and PCs) should have
    >been - and there was a version of gnu that ran on it before Linux was
    >introduced.

    I'm guessing it's a fault in the Open Firmware used to load the system.
    I knew that Mac OSX required the partition containing the OS to be
    wholly contained within the first 8GB of a drive, but I didn't know that
    it was required for yaboot as well.

    My initial partition setup had Mac OS on hda5 (hda1-4 being hidden
    driver partitions, etc.), a large data partition on hda6, hda7 was a
    96MB boot partition, with Linux on hda8-hda13. With this arrangement,
    the system froze when trying to start yaboot.

    After suffering a moment of inspiration (two Aspirin helped get rid of
    the pain) I deleted hda5 to hda7, created a new 96MB boot partition for
    openSUSE as hda5, created a 7.9GB partition for Mac OS on hda6, and
    recreated the data partition on hda7. And, by leaving hda8-hda13 where
    they were, it left my Linux install intact.

    After reinstalling Mac OS (8.5, haven't bothered with a newer release as
    yet) I rebooted using the DVD[0], used it to boot into the 10.3
    installation and recreated the boot loader settings from scratch. After
    that, all the test reboots have started up just fine and I can pick and
    choose Linux or Mac OS[1].

    [0] I did initially try the repair option on the DVD but that resulted
    in an instant reboot and no apparent access to the "repair installation"
    process unlike on the i386 DVD. Looks like a bug report is going to be
    filed about that.

    [1] Default is for Linux and, unlike a dual-boot system on the x86, Mac
    OS isn't auto-added as a boot option. You need to do that yourself.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  6. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    John Bowling wrote:
    > Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    > selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    > rebooted.
    >
    > This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    > most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    > installed except for qt3. Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    > about it. This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good DVD.
    >
    > I made a new DVD with valid checksum and first installed it onto a Compaq
    > Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    > HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    > missing files. I am doing a full reinstall currently.
    >
    > John

    I wrote a bug report on this and then go informed that it had already
    been written up. It's a bug.

    I know this doesn't help. Sorry.

    Russell

  7. Re: 10.3 repair options abort

    Russell D. wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >> Selecting either the repair on the grub menu from the DVD or repair after
    >> selecting install > other > repair shut the system down immediately and
    >> rebooted.
    >>
    >> This is with an installed 10.3 system (not beta or RC) that works for the
    >> most part. My original DVD had a checksum error I didn't catch and it
    >> installed except for qt3. Update didn't fix it even though it warned me
    >> about it. This should not prevent it from doing a repair from a good
    >> DVD.
    >>
    >> I made a new DVD with valid checksum and first installed it onto a Compaq
    >> Evo N400c laptop and it works very well [700M Pentium III, 256M RAM, 20G
    >> HD]. Then I attempted the repair options to see if it would replace the
    >> missing files. I am doing a full reinstall currently.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > I wrote a bug report on this and then go informed that it had already
    > been written up. It's a bug.
    >
    > I know this doesn't help. Sorry.
    >
    > Russell

    At least this gets the information out to others.
    John

+ Reply to Thread