SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3 - Suse ; Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left ...

  1. SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    I repeated the proceedure: same result.

    I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    encounter this problem.

    Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.

    Godzilla

  2. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Godzilla wrote:
    > Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    > downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    > right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    > with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    > rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    > I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >
    > I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    > encounter this problem.
    >
    > Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Godzilla

    I don't think you have nvidia driver installed/recognized. I've had a
    similar problem and solved it be doing the following (as root):
    init 3
    sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    init 5
    Since sax2 came up with a proper alignment, I've just hit OK. My screen
    looks perfect and 3D is enabled.
    I have to admit that I don't know why this worked. Could anybody clarify
    that (for me and others)?

  3. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Zbigniew Sienkiewicz wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >> Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    >> downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    >> right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    >> with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    >> rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    >> I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >>
    >> I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    >> encounter this problem.
    >>
    >> Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > I don't think you have nvidia driver installed/recognized. I've had a
    > similar problem and solved it be doing the following (as root):
    > init 3
    > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > init 5
    > Since sax2 came up with a proper alignment, I've just hit OK. My screen
    > looks perfect and 3D is enabled.
    > I have to admit that I don't know why this worked. Could anybody clarify
    > that (for me and others)?

    Thanks for a good try, but it did not work for me. Sax2 did not come up with
    any different alignment, and when I went to the "test" function, the arrows
    were non-operative.

    Godzilla

  4. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    > downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    > right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    > with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    > rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    > I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >
    > I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    > encounter this problem.
    >
    > Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Godzilla

    After many trials (and tribulations) I discovered the answer.
    I set sax2 to generic vesa with a refresh rate of 70 HZ instead of 60 HZ
    which it had picked as a default. I now have a normal width screen.
    Hopefully, this may be of help to others with similar problems.

    Godzilla

  5. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Zbigniew Sienkiewicz wrote:
    >
    >> Godzilla wrote:
    >>> Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    >>> downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    >>> right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    >>> with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    >>> rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    >>> I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >>>
    >>> I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    >>> encounter this problem.
    >>>
    >>> Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Godzilla

    >> I don't think you have nvidia driver installed/recognized. I've had a
    >> similar problem and solved it be doing the following (as root):
    >> init 3
    >> sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    >> init 5
    >> Since sax2 came up with a proper alignment, I've just hit OK. My screen
    >> looks perfect and 3D is enabled.
    >> I have to admit that I don't know why this worked. Could anybody clarify
    >> that (for me and others)?

    > Thanks for a good try, but it did not work for me. Sax2 did not come up
    > with any different alignment, and when I went to the "test" function, the
    > arrows were non-operative.

    I've occasionally had similar problems with earlier Suses and solved them
    using the HW monitor controls.

    --
    Les

  6. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Godzilla wrote:
    > Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    >> downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    >> right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    >> with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    >> rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    >> I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >>
    >> I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    >> encounter this problem.
    >>
    >> Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > After many trials (and tribulations) I discovered the answer.
    > I set sax2 to generic vesa with a refresh rate of 70 HZ instead of 60 HZ
    > which it had picked as a default. I now have a normal width screen.
    > Hopefully, this may be of help to others with similar problems.
    >
    > Godzilla

    The real problem with SAX2 is that it doesn't seem to know when it isn't
    working. The reported settings are wrong and the changes don't take. I
    had similar problems with my 10.3 trial - and it works less well than my
    10.2 efforts. In my case, I tried to fix a distorted aspect ratio.
    Funny thing is, Ubuntu 7.10 RC and even the Beta nailed everything on
    the Live CD, so this can be done - SAX2 has just never seemed to work
    very well for me on any of my hardware. I nearly always have to use
    command-line tools or edit the config file.

  7. Re: SAX-2 doesn't hold in 10.3

    Zbigniew Sienkiewicz wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >> Today, I finally installed openSUSE 10.3 from the x86_64 DVD that I
    >> downloaded. All seemed to go well, EXCEPT my screen was shifted to the
    >> right. I went into SAX2 and moved the screen one click over to the left
    >> with the mouse. It said that the new settings would take effect after I
    >> rebooted. They did not; The screen was again shifted to the right.
    >> I repeated the proceedure: same result.
    >>
    >> I am using a NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS card. With openSUSE 10.2, I did not
    >> encounter this problem.
    >>
    >> Some timely help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > I don't think you have nvidia driver installed/recognized. I've had a
    > similar problem and solved it be doing the following (as root):
    > init 3
    > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > init 5
    > Since sax2 came up with a proper alignment, I've just hit OK. My screen
    > looks perfect and 3D is enabled.
    > I have to admit that I don't know why this worked. Could anybody clarify
    > that (for me and others)?

    On one system I recently installed opensuse 10.3 on a brand new HP with a
    nVidia card. Apparently there are several different drivers for nVidia,
    the one for older cards it calls legacy and one for newer cards. However
    with the legacy card I also had to install the kernel driver too. On the
    first try it did not work properly and I could not adjust the screen. So I
    used the newer card driver and that made things right. On the second try
    with the legacy YAST picked up the dependency for the kernel driver and
    everything worked well.

    On another system that was about 9 years old with the Intel chipset I
    couldn't get any of the direction or size buttons to work unless I used a
    step size of large. But that overshot the boundaries. I set the monitor
    settings to 70 Hz and then used the sizing and positioning on the older
    Gateway monitor itself to align things.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com