BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work - Suse

This is a discussion on BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work - Suse ; I had Suse 10.2 working just fine, including the wireless (via ndiswrapper), but for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade. Unfortunately, openSuse 10.3 comes with the bcm43xx module and the fwcutter utility. I have read in several posts that ...

  1. BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work

    I had Suse 10.2 working just fine, including the wireless (via
    ndiswrapper), but for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade.
    Unfortunately, openSuse 10.3 comes with the bcm43xx module and the
    fwcutter utility. I have read in several posts that the fwcutter
    functionality is way slower than the ndiswrapper and since I have
    never had an issue with ndiswrapper, considering that it works very
    well and fast, I want to stick with it.

    Below this post you will see what I've tried to get this working.
    Basically, I've been trying to disable/remove the bcm43xx module and
    although it looks like this works, ndiswrapper still says that bcm43xx
    is an alternate driver still. I read in another post that besides
    placing bcm43xx in the blacklist, you have to remove mention of it in
    a file located in /etc/sysconfig/hardware. Opensuse 10.3 does not have
    this file and actually it looks as though 10.3 is doing some things
    differently.

    So, to make a long story short, I was wondering if anyone
    knowledgeable on this issue could give me correct instructions to
    remove the bcm43xx driver and anything related to it so I can get
    ndiswrapper working. Sure I can recompile the kernel without this
    module but I really don't want to do that. Please, someone help.
    Thank you all for your time.

    ----
    gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # rmmod bcm43xx
    ERROR: Module bcm43xx does not exist in /proc/modules
    gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # lsmod | grep bcm43xx
    gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware #
    "blacklist bcm43xx" is in the blacklist file

    Yast Configuration
    wireless hardware was not listed because I deleted it last night.
    I created a new wireless item with the name 'wlan0' and module set to
    ndiswrapper

    ndiswrapper -e bcmwl5 (removed wireless ndiswrapper driver)
    ndiswrapper -l (confirmed driver was removed)
    ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf (re-installed driver)

    reboot
    gonzo-ho:~ # ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:B0:6F:12:A3
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0x2400

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2056 (2.0 Kb) TX bytes:2056 (2.0 Kb)

  2. Re: BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work

    On Oct 11, 12:15 pm, fullofquesti...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I had Suse 10.2 working just fine, including the wireless (via
    > ndiswrapper), but for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade.
    > Unfortunately, openSuse 10.3 comes with the bcm43xx module and the
    > fwcutter utility. I have read in several posts that the fwcutter
    > functionality is way slower than the ndiswrapper and since I have
    > never had an issue with ndiswrapper, considering that it works very
    > well and fast, I want to stick with it.
    >
    > Below this post you will see what I've tried to get this working.
    > Basically, I've been trying to disable/remove the bcm43xx module and
    > although it looks like this works, ndiswrapper still says that bcm43xx
    > is an alternate driver still. I read in another post that besides
    > placing bcm43xx in the blacklist, you have to remove mention of it in
    > a file located in /etc/sysconfig/hardware. Opensuse 10.3 does not have
    > this file and actually it looks as though 10.3 is doing some things
    > differently.
    >
    > So, to make a long story short, I was wondering if anyone
    > knowledgeable on this issue could give me correct instructions to
    > remove the bcm43xx driver and anything related to it so I can get
    > ndiswrapper working. Sure I can recompile the kernel without this
    > module but I really don't want to do that. Please, someone help.
    > Thank you all for your time.
    >
    > ----
    > gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # rmmod bcm43xx
    > ERROR: Module bcm43xx does not exist in /proc/modules
    > gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # lsmod | grep bcm43xx
    > gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # ndiswrapper -l
    > bcmwl5 : driver installed
    > device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    > gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware # vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    > gonzo-ho:/etc/sysconfig/hardware #
    > "blacklist bcm43xx" is in the blacklist file
    >
    > Yast Configuration
    > wireless hardware was not listed because I deleted it last night.
    > I created a new wireless item with the name 'wlan0' and module set to
    > ndiswrapper
    >
    > ndiswrapper -e bcmwl5 (removed wireless ndiswrapper driver)
    > ndiswrapper -l (confirmed driver was removed)
    > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf (re-installed driver)
    >
    > reboot
    > gonzo-ho:~ # ifconfig
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:B0:6F:12:A3
    > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    > Interrupt:22 Base address:0x2400
    >
    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:2056 (2.0 Kb) TX bytes:2056 (2.0 Kb)

    Under YAST->Network Devices select the wireless, then at the bottom
    under ADVANCED go to Hardware Details and you will see the module
    driver. Just type in "ndiswrapper" and it should change over.

  3. Re: BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:18:52 +0000, Skippyboy wrote:

    > On Oct 11, 12:15 pm, fullofquesti...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I had Suse 10.2 working just fine, including the wireless (via
    >> ndiswrapper), but for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade.
    >> Unfortunately, openSuse 10.3 comes with the bcm43xx module and the
    >> fwcutter utility. I have read in several posts that the fwcutter
    >> functionality is way slower than the ndiswrapper and since I have
    >> never had an issue with ndiswrapper, considering that it works very
    >> well and fast, I want to stick with it.
    >>
    >> Below this post you will see what I've tried to get this working.
    >> Basically, I've been trying to disable/remove the bcm43xx module and
    >> although it looks like this works, ndiswrapper still says that bcm43xx
    >> is an alternate driver still.

    Take a deep breath and sit still for a moment. You come across
    as if you're panicking. Ndiswrapper is saying that bcm43xx is the
    alternate driver because it is. There is nothing wrong aobut this.

    > Under YAST->Network Devices select the wireless, then at the bottom
    > under ADVANCED go to Hardware Details and you will see the module
    > driver. Just type in "ndiswrapper" and it should change over.

    It may be bĂȘ necessary to add an entry for the bcm43xx driver in
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist as well.

    Beyond that, no need for panic or for kernel rebuilds.

  4. Re: BCM43xx on HP pavilion zv6000 does not work

    fullofquestions@gmail.com wrote:

    > I had Suse 10.2 working just fine, including the wireless (via
    > ndiswrapper), but for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade.
    > Unfortunately, openSuse 10.3 comes with the bcm43xx module and the
    > fwcutter utility. I have read in several posts that the fwcutter
    > functionality is way slower than the ndiswrapper and since I have
    > never had an issue with ndiswrapper, considering that it works
    > very well and fast, I want to stick with it.

    I am using an Acer Aspire 5050 which also has a Broadcom wireless
    chip for which the bcm43xx module is loaded. I had this working in
    openSUSE 10.2 using ndiswrapper. I substituted openSUSE 10.3 last
    week and it took me a while to get wireless working again using
    ndiswrapper. I found that if I blacklisted the bcm43xx module I
    couldn't get wireless recognized at all for some reason. What works
    for me is to leave the Yast wireless card entry recognized by
    openSUSE which claims to be using bcm43xx, then per the ndiswrapper
    openSUSE instructions to create another wireless networking entry
    using Yast which uses module ndiswrapper, with ndiswrapper set up
    as usual per the instructions.

    I am using openSUSE x86_64 and windows file bcmwl564.sys. Curiously,
    I have not been able to get wireless working using Puppy 3.0 which
    is 32-bit, using ndiswrapper and bcmwl5.sys.

+ Reply to Thread