I know I'll be damned now - Suse

This is a discussion on I know I'll be damned now - Suse ; I haven't found a better way yet so I'm posting from G-groups. I got this E90 Nokia and I haven't come up with a news app yet. I'm more than willing to get one, any ideas?...

  1. I know I'll be damned now

    I haven't found a better way yet so I'm posting from G-groups. I got
    this E90 Nokia and I haven't come up with a news app yet. I'm more
    than willing to get one, any ideas?

  2. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    waxborg@gmail.com wrote:

    > I haven't found a better way yet so I'm posting from G-groups. I got
    > this E90 Nokia and I haven't come up with a news app yet. I'm more
    > than willing to get one, any ideas?

    If I understand you right, you want a newsreader for a Nokia cell phone?
    I've never heard of such a thing. But if you want newsreaders to use under
    Linux on a computer, there are a lot of choices. Pan and Knode are two
    popular choices which might be good for just starting out. And you need
    access to a news server. If you're just doing light reading, and your ISP
    offers a news server, that'll probably do (check your ISP's documentation).

  3. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    On 11 loka, 12:15, kmh wrote:
    > waxb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I haven't found a better way yet so I'm posting from G-groups. I got
    > > this E90 Nokia and I haven't come up with a news app yet. I'm more
    > > than willing to get one, any ideas?

    > If I understand you right, you want a newsreader for a Nokia cell phone?
    > I've never heard of such a thing. But if you want newsreaders to use under
    > Linux on a computer, there are a lot of choices. Pan and Knode are two
    > popular choices which might be good for just starting out. And you need
    > access to a news server. If you're just doing light reading, and your ISP
    > offers a news server, that'll probably do (check your ISP's documentation).

    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

  4. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    > Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    > is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    > the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    > how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    I think you are in the wrong group then. You are looking for E90 software,
    this group covers openSUSE/SLES.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  5. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    > Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    > is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    > the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    > how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    I do not killfile Googlegroups. ;-)

    The answer to this (as this is a openSUSE group) is to find a ssh
    application, connect to your openSUSE PC at home that has slrn and
    leafnode running and use that.

    That way you have a solution for your mail and YaST and everything else
    that you can run in a terminal.

    houghi
    --
    The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
    Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying

  6. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    Andreas wrote:
    > waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    >> is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    >> the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    >> how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    > I think you are in the wrong group then. You are looking for E90 software,
    > this group covers openSUSE/SLES.
    >
    > kind regards,
    > Andreas

    I know. This is one of my regular groups

    But since this group is followed by a lot of skilled and knowledgeable
    people, I thought why not ask some people that I kinda know

    And groups that are supposed to be followed by smart-phone people don't
    have the answers

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  7. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    houghi wrote:
    > waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    >> is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    >> the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    >> how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    > I do not killfile Googlegroups. ;-)
    >
    > The answer to this (as this is a openSUSE group) is to find a ssh
    > application, connect to your openSUSE PC at home that has slrn and
    > leafnode running and use that.
    >
    > That way you have a solution for your mail and YaST and everything else
    > that you can run in a terminal.
    >
    > houghi

    I knew this would be your answer
    And it's a good one, too.

    I have come up with a version of Putty that I've somehow got to work on
    this phone. So your way is probably going to be implemented here

    But since this group is also followed by a lot of other skilled and
    knowledgeable people, I thought why not ask some people that I kinda know

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  8. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    On 11 Oct 2007 12:29:24 +0200, Andreas wrote:

    >waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    >> is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    >> the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    >> how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    >I think you are in the wrong group then. You are looking for E90 software,
    >this group covers openSUSE/SLES.
    >
    >kind regards,
    >Andreas

    What part of "read and respond in his regular groups" do you not
    understand?

    He asked here, because he hoped that one of his everyday associates
    might know... HERE!

    Get off yer little hobby horse.

  9. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:59:42 +0300, Vahis
    wrote:

    >Andreas wrote:
    >> waxborg@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to read my regular groups (this
    >>> is one) and post to them from a Nokia Communicator E90. I know some of
    >>> the regulars won't see me this way (like houghi). I don't know even
    >>> how you snip here or how you sign these things here -- Vahis

    >> I think you are in the wrong group then. You are looking for E90 software,
    >> this group covers openSUSE/SLES.
    >>
    >> kind regards,
    >> Andreas

    >I know. This is one of my regular groups
    >
    >But since this group is followed by a lot of skilled and knowledgeable
    >people, I thought why not ask some people that I kinda know
    >
    >And groups that are supposed to be followed by smart-phone people don't
    >have the answers
    >
    >Vahis

    I'm sure it will be a while before they catch up with the monikers used
    on the phones.

    I'd bet that many of them don't even know they can grab their
    ringtones, etc. over BlueTooth from within Linux on a BT enabled PC,
    instead of paying to "email" them to themselves.

  10. Re: I know I'll be damned now

    Vahis wrote:
    > But since this group is also followed by a lot of other skilled and
    > knowledgeable people, I thought why not ask some people that I kinda know

    You have a phone, call these skilled people and ask them to read the
    postings to you. ;-)

    I still feel that it is off topic. I also know there are skilled people
    here, yet I would not post my questions I have about making a website,
    unless it was directly related to openSUSE.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

+ Reply to Thread