Installation problem with DVD drive - Suse

This is a discussion on Installation problem with DVD drive - Suse ; Hello, I have a Sony Vaio PCGRT796HP laptop which I cannot get Suse installed on. I've tried the SLED 10SP1 and openSUSE 10.3 DVD install and I get as far as selecting the install options and then the following error: ...

  1. Installation problem with DVD drive

    Hello,

    I have a Sony Vaio PCGRT796HP laptop which I cannot get Suse installed on.

    I've tried the SLED 10SP1 and openSUSE 10.3 DVD install and I get as far
    as selecting the install options and then the following error:

    SLED Searching for info file
    oS10.3 Could not find openSUSE 10.3 repository

    I've googled and found someone saying the install has lost contact with
    the DVD drive but no solutions.

    Any ideas what I might be able to do to get the install process working?

    Thanks

    Glenn

  2. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On 2007-10-10, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I have a Sony Vaio PCGRT796HP laptop which I cannot get Suse installed on.

    > I've tried the SLED 10SP1 and openSUSE 10.3 DVD install and I get as far
    > as selecting the install options and then the following error:

    > SLED Searching for info file
    > oS10.3 Could not find openSUSE 10.3 repository

    > I've googled and found someone saying the install has lost contact with
    > the DVD drive but no solutions.

    > Any ideas what I might be able to do to get the install process working?

    I had that when installing 10.1 on a SATA system, and adding these boot params
    helped:

    insmod=ahci insmod=ata_piix insmod=generic

    But: 10.3 installs on the same system without error or need for params.

    This was also suggested:

    ide=nodma

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press History of Astronomy
    http://sattre-press.com/ During the 19th Century

  3. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Bill McClain wrote:
    > On 2007-10-10, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >> Hello,

    >> I have a Sony Vaio PCGRT796HP laptop which I cannot get Suse installed on.

    >> I've tried the SLED 10SP1 and openSUSE 10.3 DVD install and I get as far
    >> as selecting the install options and then the following error:

    >> SLED Searching for info file
    >> oS10.3 Could not find openSUSE 10.3 repository

    >> I've googled and found someone saying the install has lost contact with
    >> the DVD drive but no solutions.

    >> Any ideas what I might be able to do to get the install process working?

    > I had that when installing 10.1 on a SATA system, and adding these boot params
    > helped:
    >
    > insmod=ahci insmod=ata_piix insmod=generic
    >
    > But: 10.3 installs on the same system without error or need for params.
    >
    > This was also suggested:
    >
    > ide=nodma
    >
    > -Bill

    No, that didn't work either. I've also tried insmod=ide-generic.

    Once I press enter after entering any of the boot parms the system just
    hangs. Without any boot parms I get the 'Loading Kernel' message.

    Any other suggestions?

    Glenn

  4. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On 2007-10-11, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    > No, that didn't work either. I've also tried insmod=ide-generic.

    > Once I press enter after entering any of the boot parms the system just
    > hangs. Without any boot parms I get the 'Loading Kernel' message.

    > Any other suggestions?

    You've tried the other boot options? Safe mode and disable ACPI, etc?

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press Pagan Papers
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Kenneth Grahame

  5. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Glenn Robinson wrote:-

    >No, that didn't work either. I've also tried insmod=ide-generic.
    >
    >Once I press enter after entering any of the boot parms the system just
    >hangs. Without any boot parms I get the 'Loading Kernel' message.
    >
    >Any other suggestions?

    Try the following boot parameters:

    install=cd:/?device=sr0 textmode=1

    The first option tells the install system to look at the first CD/DVD
    drive. The second tells it to start YaST in text mode.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

  6. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Bill McClain wrote:
    > On 2007-10-11, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >> No, that didn't work either. I've also tried insmod=ide-generic.

    >> Once I press enter after entering any of the boot parms the system just
    >> hangs. Without any boot parms I get the 'Loading Kernel' message.

    >> Any other suggestions?

    > You've tried the other boot options? Safe mode and disable ACPI, etc?
    >
    > -Bill

    Yes, tried those.

  7. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Glenn Robinson wrote:-
    >

    >> No, that didn't work either. I've also tried insmod=ide-generic.
    >>
    >> Once I press enter after entering any of the boot parms the system just
    >> hangs. Without any boot parms I get the 'Loading Kernel' message.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions?

    > Try the following boot parameters:
    >
    > install=cd:/?device=sr0 textmode=1
    >
    > The first option tells the install system to look at the first CD/DVD
    > drive. The second tells it to start YaST in text mode.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    No, still get the same error :-(

    Glenn

  8. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Glenn Robinson wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >> Try the following boot parameters:
    >>
    >> install=cd:/?device=sr0 textmode=1
    >>
    >> The first option tells the install system to look at the first CD/DVD
    >> drive. The second tells it to start YaST in text mode.
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >> David Bolt
    >>

    >No, still get the same error :-(

    My guess is that the IDE chip-set isn't supported by the install system
    and that's why it's unable to use the DVD. You might be able to get
    round this if you have another system available. If you have, you could
    use the other system to export the DVD using NFS and then perform a
    network install.

    Also, purely out of curiosity, and because I haven't seen mention of it,
    you have actually checked to make sure the media is fine haven't you? If
    not, using the media check (screen straight after selecting install)
    will tell you if it's fine or not.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  9. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On Oct 12, 7:55 pm, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Glenn Robinson wrote:-
    > >David Bolt wrote:
    > >> Try the following boot parameters:

    > >> install=cd:/?device=sr0 textmode=1

    > >> The first option tells the install system to look at the first CD/DVD
    > >> drive. The second tells it to start YaST in text mode.

    > >> Regards,
    > >> David Bolt

    > >No, still get the same error :-(

    > My guess is that the IDE chip-set isn't supported by the install system
    > and that's why it's unable to use the DVD. You might be able to get
    > round this if you have another system available. If you have, you could
    > use the other system to export the DVD using NFS and then perform a
    > network install.
    >
    > Also, purely out of curiosity, and because I haven't seen mention of it,
    > you have actually checked to make sure the media is fine haven't you? If
    > not, using the media check (screen straight after selecting install)
    > will tell you if it's fine or not.
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt
    >
    > --
    > Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s:www.distributed.net
    > SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    > SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    > RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

    I have the same problem. My dvd is /dev/hdc. I tried that as the
    install parameter also. No dice. I also tried a network install with
    ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/opensuse/...ion/10.3/repo/
    It was unable to find the repository. 10.2 installed without a hitch.
    What has regressed?

    If I copy the dvd to the hard disk, can I use that as the source? Do I
    use the iso or a copy of the dvd files?

    Yast2 (of 10.2) has an option to update the system. Does that work?
    How?

    Lots of people seem to be having this problem.

    Jim Rome

  10. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:-

    >I have the same problem. My dvd is /dev/hdc. I tried that as the
    >install parameter also. No dice. I also tried a network install with
    >ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/opensuse/...ion/10.3/repo/
    >It was unable to find the repository. 10.2 installed without a hitch.

    Did you use the "usedhcp=1" option? If so, did it set up the correct DNS
    servers for you? If you didn't, or even if you did, it might be an idea
    to try using the IP address instead of the domain name. Try using these
    boot parameters:

    install=ftp://158.36.2.10/linux/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/ usedhcp=1

    >What has regressed?

    Personally, I don't see any regression. Apart from some problems with
    the installation on my iMac, which appear to have been caused by my
    choice of partitioning, that and the 32bit x86 install went very well.
    The PPC install was a clean install, where as the 32bit x86 followed the
    10.2 -> 10.3a4 -> 10.3a5 -> 10.3a7 - 10.3b1 -> 10.3b3 -> 10.3RC1 -> 10.3
    path, all without a hitch.

    >If I copy the dvd to the hard disk, can I use that as the source?

    You should be able to.

    >Do I
    >use the iso or a copy of the dvd files?

    As far as I know, YaST can use either, although extracting it to disc
    somewhere makes sure.

    >Yast2 (of 10.2) has an option to update the system. Does that work?
    >How?

    I've not tried it for a long time, since my upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1
    IIRC, so don't know if it'll work now. The last time I tried it
    complained about not being able to upgrade a running system.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  11. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:-
    >

    >> I have the same problem. My dvd is /dev/hdc. I tried that as the
    >> install parameter also. No dice. I also tried a network install with
    >> ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/opensuse/...ion/10.3/repo/
    >> It was unable to find the repository. 10.2 installed without a hitch.

    > Did you use the "usedhcp=1" option? If so, did it set up the correct DNS
    > servers for you? If you didn't, or even if you did, it might be an idea
    > to try using the IP address instead of the domain name. Try using these
    > boot parameters:
    >
    > install=ftp://158.36.2.10/linux/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/ usedhcp=1
    >
    >> What has regressed?

    > Personally, I don't see any regression. Apart from some problems with
    > the installation on my iMac, which appear to have been caused by my
    > choice of partitioning, that and the 32bit x86 install went very well.
    > The PPC install was a clean install, where as the 32bit x86 followed the
    > 10.2 -> 10.3a4 -> 10.3a5 -> 10.3a7 - 10.3b1 -> 10.3b3 -> 10.3RC1 -> 10.3
    > path, all without a hitch.
    >
    >> If I copy the dvd to the hard disk, can I use that as the source?

    > You should be able to.
    >
    >> Do I
    >> use the iso or a copy of the dvd files?

    > As far as I know, YaST can use either, although extracting it to disc
    > somewhere makes sure.
    >
    >> Yast2 (of 10.2) has an option to update the system. Does that work?
    >> How?

    > I've not tried it for a long time, since my upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1
    > IIRC, so don't know if it'll work now. The last time I tried it
    > complained about not being able to upgrade a running system.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    I like the idea of installing from disk but the laptop currently has XP
    on it (part of the reason I want to put suse on to it).

    I don't want dual boot. I guess I can't install from disk if it's NTFS?

    Otherwise I suppose I'm down to using the wireless connection for remote
    install.

    Glenn

  12. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Install a dvd S-ATA! (20 $).

  13. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:42:57 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:

    > I like the idea of installing from disk but the laptop currently has XP
    > on it (part of the reason I want to put suse on to it).

    That's a good reason to put something else on it.

    > I don't want dual boot. I guess I can't install from disk if it's NTFS?

    Are you sure there is not an extra partition that you could reformat using
    a liveCD first?

    > Otherwise I suppose I'm down to using the wireless connection for remote
    > install.

    How hard is it to drag the laptop and a patch cable to a table near your
    router for a couple of hours?

  14. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:42:57 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> I like the idea of installing from disk but the laptop currently has XP
    >> on it (part of the reason I want to put suse on to it).

    > That's a good reason to put something else on it.
    >
    >> I don't want dual boot. I guess I can't install from disk if it's NTFS?

    > Are you sure there is not an extra partition that you could reformat using
    > a liveCD first?
    >
    >> Otherwise I suppose I'm down to using the wireless connection for remote
    >> install.

    > How hard is it to drag the laptop and a patch cable to a table near your
    > router for a couple of hours?

    OMG. I'd forgot to think about using the ethernet. Almost like going
    back to using a floppy drive.

    Thanks

    Embarrassed, UK.

  15. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    On 2007-10-15, REM wrote:
    > Install a dvd S-ATA! (20 $).

    That did not solve the problem when I was trying to install 10.1. However 10.3
    installs on the same system without error and recognizes all the hardware. As
    did Fedora 7, by the way.

    10.3 has been pain-free for me.

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press In the Quarter
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Robert W. Chambers

  16. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 12, 7:55 pm, David Bolt wrote:

    >> >No, still get the same error :-(

    >> My guess is that the IDE chip-set isn't supported by the install system
    >> and that's why it's unable to use the DVD. You might be able to get
    >> round this if you have another system available. If you have, you could
    >> use the other system to export the DVD using NFS and then perform a
    >> network install.
    >>
    >> Also, purely out of curiosity, and because I haven't seen mention of it,
    >> you have actually checked to make sure the media is fine haven't you? If
    >> not, using the media check (screen straight after selecting install)
    >> will tell you if it's fine or not.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> David Bolt
    >>
    >> --
    >> Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s:www.distributed.net
    >> SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3
    >> 32bit
    >> SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    >> RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3
    >> PPC

    > I have the same problem. My dvd is /dev/hdc. I tried that as the
    > install parameter also. No dice. I also tried a network install with
    > ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/opensuse/...ion/10.3/repo/
    > It was unable to find the repository. 10.2 installed without a hitch.
    > What has regressed?
    >
    > If I copy the dvd to the hard disk, can I use that as the source? Do I
    > use the iso or a copy of the dvd files?
    >
    > Yast2 (of 10.2) has an option to update the system. Does that work?
    > How?
    >
    > Lots of people seem to be having this problem.
    >
    > Jim Rome

    This worked for me with RC1 but not with the final version of 10.3. Had the
    best luck with the CD

    Ken D.

  17. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:42:57 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> I like the idea of installing from disk but the laptop currently has XP
    >> on it (part of the reason I want to put suse on to it).

    > That's a good reason to put something else on it.
    >
    >> I don't want dual boot. I guess I can't install from disk if it's NTFS?

    > Are you sure there is not an extra partition that you could reformat using
    > a liveCD first?
    >
    >> Otherwise I suppose I'm down to using the wireless connection for remote
    >> install.

    > How hard is it to drag the laptop and a patch cable to a table near your
    > router for a couple of hours?

    Tried the NFS option too.

    Whenever I override any of the install option e.g. NFS and then press
    the enter key to install . . . nothing happens, the laptop just sits
    there locked up.

    Glenn

  18. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    I finally got 10.3 to install, but it still cannot see my dvd drive.
    How do I get it back!

  19. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I finally got 10.3 to install, but it still cannot see my dvd drive.
    > How do I get it back!

    OK, stupid question: When you say you cannot "see" your DVD drive how are
    you looking for it?

    What happens if you in su mode do:

    ls - /dev/sr*

    What happens when you insert a DVD --- do you get a popup?

    Does the HAL daemon report anything when you put a DVD in?

  20. Re: Installation problem with DVD drive

    Ken Dere wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    >>> My guess is that the IDE chip-set isn't supported by the install system
    >>> and that's why it's unable to use the DVD. You might be able to get
    >>> round this if you have another system available. If you have, you could
    >>> use the other system to export the DVD using NFS and then perform a
    >>> network install.
    >>>
    >>> Also, purely out of curiosity, and because I haven't seen mention of it,
    >>> you have actually checked to make sure the media is fine haven't you? If
    >>> not, using the media check (screen straight after selecting install)
    >>> will tell you if it's fine or not.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> David Bolt
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s:www.distributed.net
    >>> SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3
    >>> 32bit
    >>> SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    >>> RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3
    >>> PPC

    >> I have the same problem. My dvd is /dev/hdc. I tried that as the
    >> install parameter also. No dice. I also tried a network install with
    >> ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/opensuse/...ion/10.3/repo/
    >> It was unable to find the repository. 10.2 installed without a hitch.
    >> What has regressed?
    >>
    >> If I copy the dvd to the hard disk, can I use that as the source? Do I
    >> use the iso or a copy of the dvd files?
    >>
    >> Yast2 (of 10.2) has an option to update the system. Does that work?
    >> How?
    >>
    >> Lots of people seem to be having this problem.
    >>
    >> Jim Rome

    > This worked for me with RC1 but not with the final version of 10.3. Had the
    > best luck with the CD
    >
    > Ken D.

    AT LAST!!!

    The install via network option worked using the mini install cd from the
    opensuse site.

    Thanks to all for your help.

    Glenn

+ Reply to Thread