creating vmlinuz and initrd for distribution media - Suse

This is a discussion on creating vmlinuz and initrd for distribution media - Suse ; I am trying to learn to create the vmlinuz and initrd that are shipped on installation DVD of Fedora like FC6,FC3 Suse etc etc or any other linux distribution. Which when loaded by isolinux and after asking for options starts ...

  1. creating vmlinuz and initrd for distribution media

    I am trying to learn to create the vmlinuz and initrd that are shipped
    on installation DVD of Fedora like FC6,FC3 Suse etc etc or any other
    linux distribution. Which when loaded by isolinux and after asking for
    options starts installation on a system
    1) What should I look into any specific documentation
    2) how does it work without system.map file
    3) how are these kernel and initrd different from the ones found in /
    boot
    folder of a system in which linux is installed that are specific to a
    particular system and load only the specific drivers .

    Hugoi please do not reply your replies are out of the subject and
    useless.

  2. Re: creating vmlinuz and initrd for distribution media

    Ok so I got what was actually I was searching for I am posting this as
    a reference if some one by mistake read this and is willing to do same
    as I did with some other distribution after reading this link go here
    Actually what I did was
    #gzip -dc initrd | cpio -id

    or you can also do
    # mkdir /tmp/init
    # zcat /boot/initrd.img > /tmp/initrd.img
    # mkdir init
    # mount -o loop initrd.img init

    Change the files u need inside the init dir ..

    # umount init
    # gzip -9 initrd.img
    # mv initrd.img.gz /boot/initrd.img

    you copy the initrd from the distribution DVD and the one on your boot
    folder inside the system
    and do as root
    gzip -dc initrd | cpio -id
    you will see a lot of directories and some executables
    do this for both the initrd's the one on boot folder and the one in
    installation media
    the difference comes in
    modules which they load
    I am not sure about the udev or devfs which the initrd on installation
    cd or dvd does .
    Actually the difference comes in the init script which you see for
    both the initrd's the init extracted from the initrd of installation
    cd or dvd
    has a linuxrc script which starts installaion by calling the installer
    which in my case was yast and in case of fedora is anaconda and debian
    has its own.
    here is one more link
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...tramfs.txt#252
    I have tried to explain what ever possible now this should help you.

+ Reply to Thread