    Greetings,
    Can anyone suggest a good tutorial for connecting linux clients to linux
    printer servers? I'm able to connect my Windows machines to them using
    SAMBA but I'm failing with my linux clients. I've been googling but have
    yet to find anything detailed enough to get me going. My linux printer
    server is OpenSUSE 10.2, clients 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.04. Thanks,
    Tom

  2. Re: Cups/OpenSUSE tutorial?

    On 2007-10-10 12:03, Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > Can anyone suggest a good tutorial for connecting linux clients to linux
    > printer servers? I'm able to connect my Windows machines to them using
    > SAMBA but I'm failing with my linux clients. I've been googling but have
    > yet to find anything detailed enough to get me going. My linux printer
    > server is OpenSUSE 10.2, clients 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.04. Thanks,
    > Tom

    One way is to create the file /etc/cups/client.conf on all clients
    with just the line:
    ServerName

    Then it just works, unless you reject remote clients.

    Suse has it this way (at least what I have found out)

    The file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (on your cups server)

    SystemGroup sys root

    So you need to create a lppassword for admin, as member of the group sys or root.

    lppasswd -g sys -a admin

    Then just login to http://localhost:631 , go to the admin page
    (login as admin, or whatever you created)
    setup your printers, aliases and rules, allow remote print, or whatever.
    There is manuals and everything in there.

    You can also use YaST to change the remote access.

    Windows can use http://cupsserver:631/printers/printername as device
    using IPP (even if they are doing their best to hide it for you) ,
    but it seems that windows don't grab the PPD from
    http://cupsserver:631/printers/printername.ppd , but instead need samba to
    get the drivers+special software, I really don't know, but there is no problem
    to install the drivers+software from the CD.

    My cups server at home is configured to use slp broadcast,
    (and one SLP Directory Agent) so I never do anything when installing a new
    machine, just install the OS, login and the printers are there, working perfect.

    /bb

  3. Re: Cups/OpenSUSE tutorial?

    birre wrote:

    > One way is to create the file /etc/cups/client.conf on all clients
    > with just the line:
    > ServerName

    I tried this on a Ubuntu machine using both the NetBIOS name and the IP
    address. CUPS refused to start. I removed the file and it would then open.

    > The file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (on your cups server)
    >
    > SystemGroup sys root
    >
    > So you need to create a lppassword for admin, as member of the group sys
    > or root.
    >
    > lppasswd -g sys -a admin

    I entered the above as root, and entered a password. Then I opened CUPS
    via http://localhost:631 and tried to make changes in the admin page. I
    was asked to login. I put admin and my password and got authentication
    failure. I figured cups needed to be restarted for the password to take
    effect so I restarted it. Still got authentication failure.

    > Then just login to http://localhost:631 , go to the admin page
    > (login as admin, or whatever you created)
    > setup your printers, aliases and rules, allow remote print, or whatever.
    > There is manuals and everything in there.

    I've tried reading the manuals. Need something a tad more basic.

    > You can also use YaST to change the remote access.
    >
    > Windows can use http://cupsserver:631/printers/printername as device
    > using IPP (even if they are doing their best to hide it for you) ,
    >snip>

    I'm using Samba with my windows boxes to the OpenSUSE printer server
    with no problems. It's linux to linux I'm having trouble with. I haven't
    tried OpenSUSE to OpenSUSE yet but I'm failing on OpenSUSE server to
    Ubuntu client. I will continue to search through google. Someone must
    have documented solutions to this.

    Thanks for the the suggestions, birre. At least I learned one more
    command even if I didn't get it to work.
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread