    printers and two USB hosts, but no luck :-(

    Other USB-devices works fine.

  2. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    On 2007-10-09 22:53, Bent wrote:
    > I have a clean Opensuse 10.3 install. My printer is not found by Yast. lsusb
    > find Hewlett-Packard Hub instead of the printer. I've tried with two
    > printers and two USB hosts, but no luck :-(
    >
    > Other USB-devices works fine.

    Use the program hp-setup to setup your HP printers.

    You must install hplib of cource.

    ~> rpm -ql hplip |grep /bin
    /usr/bin/hp-align
    /usr/bin/hp-check
    /usr/bin/hp-clean
    /usr/bin/hp-colorcal
    /usr/bin/hp-fab
    /usr/bin/hp-firmware
    /usr/bin/hp-info
    /usr/bin/hp-levels
    /usr/bin/hp-makecopies
    /usr/bin/hp-makeuri
    /usr/bin/hp-print
    /usr/bin/hp-probe
    /usr/bin/hp-sendfax
    /usr/bin/hp-setup
    /usr/bin/hp-testpage
    /usr/bin/hp-timedate
    /usr/bin/hp-toolbox
    /usr/bin/hp-toolbox.wrapper
    /usr/bin/hp-unload

    /bb

  3. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    birre wrote:

    > On 2007-10-09 22:53, Bent wrote:
    >> I have a clean Opensuse 10.3 install. My printer is not found by Yast.
    >> lsusb find Hewlett-Packard Hub instead of the printer. I've tried with
    >> two printers and two USB hosts, but no luck :-(
    >>
    >> Other USB-devices works fine.

    > Use the program hp-setup to setup your HP printers.
    >
    > You must install hplib of cource.
    >
    > ~> rpm -ql hplip |grep /bin
    > /usr/bin/hp-align

    hplib is installed.
    And I have used HP printers since Suse 8.2, they were always found during
    install, with no need for extra programs. I don't understand why the
    printer isn't found by lsusb or Yast.

  4. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    I gave up on it and used the Ethernet connection instead. Works better
    anyway since I have a Linux/Mac/Windows LAN at home.
    --
    James
    *Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address

  5. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    On 2007-10-11 00:45, Bent wrote:
    > birre wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-10-09 22:53, Bent wrote:
    >>> I have a clean Opensuse 10.3 install. My printer is not found by Yast.
    >>> lsusb find Hewlett-Packard Hub instead of the printer. I've tried with
    >>> two printers and two USB hosts, but no luck :-(
    >>>
    >>> Other USB-devices works fine.

    >> Use the program hp-setup to setup your HP printers.
    >>
    >> You must install hplib of cource.
    >>
    >> ~> rpm -ql hplip |grep /bin
    >> /usr/bin/hp-align

    > hplib is installed.
    > And I have used HP printers since Suse 8.2, they were always found during
    > install, with no need for extra programs. I don't understand why the
    > printer isn't found by lsusb or Yast.

    Check the hplip page:
    http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...ces/index.html

    Check if you can find your printer, and if you have that hplip version or later.
    I hope opensuse 10.3 have the latest version.

    YaST can only find the correct printer after hplip have installed the PPD files,
    but without it, you should at least see you have a printer.

    But for lsusb , I have no answer, sure it should be visible there, at least as
    a known vendor id, and in worst case an unknown product id.

    What model is it?

    /bb

  6. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    birre wrote:

    > On 2007-10-11 00:45, Bent wrote:
    >> birre wrote:

    >>> Use the program hp-setup to setup your HP printers.
    >>>
    >>> You must install hplib of cource.
    >>>
    >>> ~> rpm -ql hplip |grep /bin
    >>> /usr/bin/hp-align

    >> hplib is installed.
    >> And I have used HP printers since Suse 8.2, they were always found during
    >> install, with no need for extra programs. I don't understand why the
    >> printer isn't found by lsusb or Yast.

    > Check the hplip page:
    > http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...ces/index.html
    >
    > Check if you can find your printer, and if you have that hplip version or
    > later. I hope opensuse 10.3 have the latest version.
    >
    > YaST can only find the correct printer after hplip have installed the PPD
    > files, but without it, you should at least see you have a printer.
    >
    > But for lsusb , I have no answer, sure it should be visible there, at
    > least as a known vendor id, and in worst case an unknown product id.
    >
    > What model is it?
    >
    > /bb

    It is PhotoSmart 7345 and 7260
    /bent

  7. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    Bent wrote:

    > birre wrote:

    >>> hplib is installed.
    >>> And I have used HP printers since Suse 8.2, they were always found
    >>> during install, with no need for extra programs. I don't understand why
    >>> the printer isn't found by lsusb or Yast.

    >> Check the hplip page:
    >> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...ces/index.html
    >>
    >> Check if you can find your printer, and if you have that hplip version or
    >> later. I hope opensuse 10.3 have the latest version.
    >>
    >> YaST can only find the correct printer after hplip have installed the PPD
    >> files, but without it, you should at least see you have a printer.
    >>
    >> But for lsusb , I have no answer, sure it should be visible there, at
    >> least as a known vendor id, and in worst case an unknown product id.
    >>
    >> What model is it?
    >>
    >> /bb

    > It is PhotoSmart 7345 and 7260
    > /bent

    Thanks, it works now. Yast installed the Gutenberg PPD and the test-print
    didn't work.

    When I manually selected hpijs PPD it worked :-)

  8. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    Bent wrote:

    > Bent wrote:
    >
    >> birre wrote:

    >>> Check the hplip page:
    >>> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...ces/index.html
    >>>
    >>> Check if you can find your printer, and if you have that hplip version
    >>> or later. I hope opensuse 10.3 have the latest version.
    >>>
    >>> YaST can only find the correct printer after hplip have installed the
    >>> PPD files, but without it, you should at least see you have a printer.
    >>>
    >>> But for lsusb , I have no answer, sure it should be visible there, at
    >>> least as a known vendor id, and in worst case an unknown product id.
    >>>
    >>> What model is it?
    >>>
    >>> /bb

    >> It is PhotoSmart 7345 and 7260
    >> /bent

    > Thanks, it works now. Yast installed the Gutenberg PPD and the test-print
    > didn't work.
    >
    > When I manually selected hpijs PPD it worked :-)

    Well, actually it doesn't :-( Only if I manually, as root starts the printer
    in "Personal settings > hardware > printer". And after reboot I have to do
    it again.

  9. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:27:33 +0200
    Bent wrote:

    > Bent wrote:
    >
    > > Bent wrote:

    > >> It is PhotoSmart 7345 and 7260
    > >> /bent

    > > Thanks, it works now. Yast installed the Gutenberg PPD and the
    > > test-print didn't work.
    > >
    > > When I manually selected hpijs PPD it worked :-)

    > Well, actually it doesn't :-( Only if I manually, as root starts the
    > printer in "Personal settings > hardware > printer". And after reboot
    > I have to do it again.

    Hi
    Just been helping a user in the Novell forum "Scanner won't configure"
    (opensuse.org.suse-linux.support.install-configure-administration) with
    this. Was a cups issue.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  10. Re: HP Photosmart USB-printer not found

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:27:33 +0200
    > Bent wrote:
    >
    >> Bent wrote:

    >> > Thanks, it works now. Yast installed the Gutenberg PPD and the
    >> > test-print didn't work.
    >> >
    >> > When I manually selected hpijs PPD it worked :-)

    >> Well, actually it doesn't :-( Only if I manually, as root starts the
    >> printer in "Personal settings > hardware > printer". And after reboot
    >> I have to do it again.
    >>

    > Hi
    > Just been helping a user in the Novell forum "Scanner won't configure"
    > (opensuse.org.suse-linux.support.install-configure-administration) with
    > this. Was a cups issue.

    I think this was an USB issue, the system didn't see my PhotoSmart 7345, but
    a HP-USB hub. I just updated the kernel, and it works now. And The printer
    is now found by "Yast - Hardware information"

+ Reply to Thread