Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2? - Suse

This is a discussion on Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2? - Suse ; I have openSUSE 10.2 and Windows XP Pro set up in dual boot, where each OS is on a separate hard drive. I just installed VMware Server 1.0.4 on openSUSE, and would now like to create a VM of the ...

  1. Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2?

    I have openSUSE 10.2 and Windows XP Pro set up in dual boot, where each
    OS is on a separate hard drive. I just installed VMware Server 1.0.4 on
    openSUSE, and would now like to create a VM of the Windows XP setup by
    cloning the Windows XP hard drive, if possible. I'm hoping to avoid
    having to reinstall the OS and all the apps from scratch.

    Does anyone know if this is possible to do? If so, any advice on how to
    proceed?

    Thanks for any help.

    Pat

  2. Re: Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2?

    Pat wrote:

    > I have openSUSE 10.2 and Windows XP Pro set up in dual boot, where each
    > OS is on a separate hard drive. I just installed VMware Server 1.0.4 on
    > openSUSE, and would now like to create a VM of the Windows XP setup by
    > cloning the Windows XP hard drive, if possible. I'm hoping to avoid
    > having to reinstall the OS and all the apps from scratch.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible to do? If so, any advice on how to
    > proceed?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat

    go to the vmware site theres a conversion tool somewhere
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2?

    Bill P wrote:
    > go to the vmware site theres a conversion tool somewhere

    I believe it is also on the DVD

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  4. Re: Cloning Windows XP to a VM running on openSUSE 10.2?

    Bill P wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> I have openSUSE 10.2 and Windows XP Pro set up in dual boot, where each
    >> OS is on a separate hard drive. I just installed VMware Server 1.0.4 on
    >> openSUSE, and would now like to create a VM of the Windows XP setup by
    >> cloning the Windows XP hard drive, if possible. I'm hoping to avoid
    >> having to reinstall the OS and all the apps from scratch.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this is possible to do? If so, any advice on how to
    >> proceed?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat

    > go to the vmware site theres a conversion tool somewhere

    Thanks. I found the tool. It's called VMware Converter (free download
    from VMware). I booted into Windows XP and used it to generate a VM of
    the "local machine". The VM files were save on an external HD during
    the process.

    I assume I should now be able to copy these VM files over to the HD with
    openSUSE and use VMware Server to run it. But if someone who's familiar
    with this sees something I'm missing, please let me know.

    Thanks, -Pat

+ Reply to Thread