Linux torrent client - Suse

This is a discussion on Linux torrent client - Suse ; I used BitLord, a Windows-only program, to get 10.2, tried it out, and now would like to get 10.3 to upgrade my 10.2 box. On the Downloads page, I can download a .torrent, but need a Linux torrent client now ...

  1. Linux torrent client

    I used BitLord, a Windows-only program, to get 10.2, tried it out, and
    now would like to get 10.3 to upgrade my 10.2 box. On the Downloads
    page, I can download a .torrent, but need a Linux torrent client now
    to get this thing. Is there a Linux torrent client hidden in 10.2?
    Google of "Linux torrent client" (without quotes) gives lots of
    results One I thought I would like, qbittorrent, has versions
    for lots of Linux, but not SuSe "right now," and I'm afraid many of
    the others listed might be in the same state.
    How about a link (or links) to SuSe Linux torrent clients on the
    download page?
    And any recommendations for one of these beasts?

    Thanks in advance.
    --jim

  2. Re: Linux torrent client

    terphenyl wrote:

    > And any recommendations for one of these beasts?

    Hi Jim,

    ktorrent works fine and is included in 10.2.

    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mdling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  3. Re: Linux torrent client

    terphenyl wrote:
    [...]
    Is there a Linux torrent client hidden in 10.2?
    [...]
    A bit dated:
    http://en.opensuse.org/BitTorrent_an...Torrent_Client

    Azureus (3.0.3.3 from "packman")
    I couldn't use it: something about Java directory. Others rave about it.
    Nor could I it use an earlier version for the 10.2 download, for a
    different reason.
    BitTorrent/BitTorrent-gtk (4.0.3-87.1 from "darix")
    I used "btdownloadgui" for the DVD ISO.
    KTorrent(2.2.2-5.1 form "KDE:Backports")
    It is easy to use and I used it to for 'CD-KDE'. But when I tried to use
    some useless feature (a plugin?), the GUI went funny: the bottom
    extended way down below the workplace screen ('Blackbox' window
    manager), so that I could not access the other useless display features,
    for the duration of the download.

    When I thought the DVD image was damaged (it turns out that the DVD
    blank was defective; meanwhile, I ordered a boxed set from Novell), I
    resorted to the metalink download, using
    aria2 (0.11.2-2 from "guru"), a command-line utility.

    About 'metalink':
    http://en.opensuse.org/Metalink
    http://www.metalinker.org/

  4. Re: Linux torrent client

    Taki wrote:

    > Is there a Linux torrent client hidden in 10.2?

    try ktorrent from start menu

    --
    Привет. Иаков
    --- -- -- -- -- -- --- -- ---

  5. Re: Linux torrent client

    Taki ha scritto:
    > I couldn't use it: something about Java directory. Others rave about it.

    I found that azureus is not fit to the unix install style, due to its
    autoupdate feature. So I downloaded the compressed archive and
    decompressed it in ~/bin/azureus. Then I simlinked the executable in
    ~/bin and it always worked

    --
    Lorenzo `paulatz' Paulatto
    Trieste

    ``Grandissima mi par l'inezia di coloro che vorrebbero che Iddio avesse
    fatto l'universo pi proporzionato alla piccola capacit del lor discorso.''
    --Galileo Galilei (Opere VII)

  6. Re: Linux torrent client

    "terphenyl" wrote in message
    news:1191957698.183558.10790@r29g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >I used BitLord, a Windows-only program, to get 10.2, tried it out, and
    > now would like to get 10.3 to upgrade my 10.2 box. On the Downloads
    > page, I can download a .torrent, but need a Linux torrent client now
    > to get this thing.

    rtorrent

+ Reply to Thread