Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working? - Suse

This is a discussion on Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working? - Suse ; Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution....

  1. Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

  2. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    On Oct 9, 3:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    I installed the Sun 1.6_03 in /usr/java which linked it to /usr/java/
    latest and linked its plugin to /usr/local/seamonkey/plugins, and it
    worked for me. I had also installed Seamonkey myself into /usr/local/
    seamonkey. Be sure you use the 32-bit Java by the way.

    Java is very problematical because of its use in update-alternatives.
    There are about a dozen links there to the different parts of Java. No
    one has yet enlightened me on how to change these so that all of the
    links are properly made if you install Sun's Java yourself. Here is as
    far as I have gotten:

    Tell the system which version of Java to use. This is done using a
    program called update-alternatives
    # update-alternatives --verbose --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/
    java/latest/bin/java 2000 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/java.1 java.1 /usr/local/lib/jdk/man/man1/
    java.1
    and then do
    update-alternatives --verbose --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/java/
    latest/bin/javac 2000
    Check that it worked!
    # update-alternatives --config java
    which lets you pick the version of java to use (if there are
    several)
    # java -version

  3. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    On Oct 9, 9:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    Do you have a 64-bit machine? If yes then you could try installing a
    32-bit Seamonkey - that should do it.
    I *know* that the 64-bit version of Firefox has a problem with Java
    but had not heard that Seamonkey is also affected.

    Not personal experience, my 64-bit laptop is off being repaired and
    I'll be upgrading the 32-bit machine to 10.3 this coming weekend.

  4. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    On Oct 10, 11:08 am, Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 9:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    > > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    > Do you have a 64-bit machine? If yes then you could try installing a
    > 32-bit Seamonkey - that should do it.
    > I *know* that the 64-bit version of Firefox has a problem with Java
    > but had not heard that Seamonkey is also affected.
    >
    > Not personal experience, my 64-bit laptop is off being repaired and
    > I'll be upgrading the 32-bit machine to 10.3 this coming weekend.

    Yes, for sure 32-bit SeaMonkey. None of the extensions work with 64-
    bits either.

  5. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    So who needs to fix what? Is it a Java bug? A Seamonkey bug? Maybe its a
    Suse bug because I didn't have these issues under 10.2.

  6. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 10, 11:08 am, Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >> On Oct 9, 9:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    >>
    >> > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    >> > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    >> Do you have a 64-bit machine? If yes then you could try installing a
    >> 32-bit Seamonkey - that should do it.
    >> I *know* that the 64-bit version of Firefox has a problem with Java
    >> but had not heard that Seamonkey is also affected.
    >>
    >> Not personal experience, my 64-bit laptop is off being repaired and
    >> I'll be upgrading the 32-bit machine to 10.3 this coming weekend.

    > Yes, for sure 32-bit SeaMonkey. None of the extensions work with 64-
    > bits either.

    Java is pretty much broken in 10.3. I'm running a 64 bit version of 10.3 and
    64 bit java almost works in 64 bit konqueror. I install Seamonkey, Netscape
    9, and Firefox in a hidden directory of my home directory. I downloaded the
    latest 32 bit java and installed it into my hidden directory. This method
    has worked well for the last few versions of SuSE. Since Opera is really
    NEVER a 64 bit app even as the SuSE rpm's have a supposed 64 bit version, I
    had always mapped opera to the java install in my hidden directory. BTW, I
    name my hidden directory in my home folder, is .gecko and I have all gecko
    related programs as well as 32 bit java installed there. Something in SuSE
    10.3 is preventing ANY version of java from executing.

    Dave

  7. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > So who needs to fix what? Is it a Java bug? A Seamonkey bug? Maybe its a
    > Suse bug because I didn't have these issues under 10.2.

    It's a SuSE bug, the same versions of java even installed in my home folder
    also show up as an active plugin in ALL my gecko browsers but they simply
    will not execute. The java panel will NOT open either.

    Dave

  8. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 10, 11:08 am, Vlad_Inhaler wrote:
    >> On Oct 9, 9:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    >>
    >> > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    >> > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    >> Do you have a 64-bit machine? If yes then you could try installing a
    >> 32-bit Seamonkey - that should do it.
    >> I *know* that the 64-bit version of Firefox has a problem with Java
    >> but had not heard that Seamonkey is also affected.
    >>
    >> Not personal experience, my 64-bit laptop is off being repaired and
    >> I'll be upgrading the 32-bit machine to 10.3 this coming weekend.

    > Yes, for sure 32-bit SeaMonkey. None of the extensions work with 64-
    > bits either.

    Java is pretty much broken in 10.3. I'm running a 64 bit version of 10.3 and
    64 bit java almost works in 64 bit konqueror. I install Seamonkey, Netscape
    9, and Firefox in a hidden directory of my home directory. I downloaded the
    latest 32 bit java and installed it into my hidden directory. This method
    has worked well for the last few versions of SuSE. Since Opera is really
    NEVER a 64 bit app even as the SuSE rpm's have a supposed 64 bit version, I
    had always mapped opera to the java install in my hidden directory. BTW, I
    name my hidden directory in my home folder .gecko and I have all gecko
    related programs as well as 32 bit java installed there. Something in SuSE
    10.3 is preventing ANY version of java from executing.

    Dave

  9. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    On Oct 9, 3:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    Actually it seems like the problem is actually with Flash and not with
    Java.

    I've been torturing myself for days with uninstalls and reinstalls,
    but Seamonkey continues to crash when java and javascript are enabled
    on flash enabled pages.

    A recent update of Firefox fixed the same problem with Firefox, but as
    of this posting Seamonkey continues to crap the bed.

    My solution is to keep on using Firefox until either an update for
    Seamonkey or Adobe Flash comes out...

  10. Re: Anyone got java/seamonkey/suse10.3 working?

    On Oct 23, 6:17 pm, happyr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 3:01 pm, GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like java just won't work in seamonkey under suse 10.3. I've seen
    > > other complaints on the web. I have not yet seen a solution.

    > Actually it seems like the problem is actually with Flash and not with
    > Java.
    >
    > I've been torturing myself for days with uninstalls and reinstalls,
    > but Seamonkey continues to crash when java and javascript are enabled
    > on flash enabled pages.
    >
    > A recent update of Firefox fixed the same problem with Firefox, but as
    > of this posting Seamonkey continues to crap the bed.
    >
    > My solution is to keep on using Firefox until either an update for
    > Seamonkey or Adobe Flash comes out...

    I have a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine, each have the
    appropriate 10.3 version for their respective architectures.

    On the 64-bit machine, Java simply does not work (or did not a few
    days ago when I last looked) but Flash is fine. Java (fwiw) and
    Javascript are enabled. Java not working is/was a known problem with
    the 64 bit version.

    On the 32-bit machine, Seamonkey was totally unreliable until an
    update which came through this week. It may have been from the
    OpenSuse Mozilla repository - I have that enabled as well. Up until
    the update it would regularly die if the system was under load. Flash
    advertising + not much else counted as 'load'. It has not aborted
    since the update. Java and Javascript are enabled here as well (for
    the browser, not the mail client).
    btw, I tried gtk-gnash as a Flash replacement on this machine for a
    while.
    - Youtube rejected it as being too old a version
    - The original Flash only runs if the page is 'visible', gtk-gnash ran
    cheerfully on background tabs - slowing my system down completely.

+ Reply to Thread