    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.12, Opera 9.x weekly

  2. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On 2007-10-09 20:52, Bill P wrote:
    > in 10.2 right clicking on a mp3 file provided things like bitrate, tag info
    > and playing time but not in 10.3 (info also does not show if user is Root
    > or using Krusader). The information does show properly in Nautilus so it is
    > available to the system.
    >
    > thanks,

    The function of your applications depend on what features you have installed,
    they are dynamic.

    Just open Yast (/sbin/yast2 sw_single)
    Search for id3 , install it, and then your apps will show the tags.

    Windows and linux is a bit different here, where a windows app will have
    EVERYTING in the same application (but always has something missing) ,
    but a Linux program just do one thing but do it well, and a typical
    GUI or graphical application just call the existing programs, if they
    are installed.

    One example. select a few mp3 files, and right click, and look at "actions"
    Then install krename and try again.

    Get the idea ?

    /bb

  3. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    birre wrote:

    > On 2007-10-09 20:52, Bill P wrote:
    >> in 10.2 right clicking on a mp3 file provided things like bitrate, tag
    >> info and playing time but not in 10.3 (info also does not show if user is
    >> Root or using Krusader). The information does show properly in Nautilus
    >> so it is available to the system.
    >>
    >> thanks,

    > The function of your applications depend on what features you have
    > installed, they are dynamic.
    >
    > Just open Yast (/sbin/yast2 sw_single)
    > Search for id3 , install it, and then your apps will show the tags.
    >
    > Windows and linux is a bit different here, where a windows app will have
    > EVERYTING in the same application (but always has something missing) ,
    > but a Linux program just do one thing but do it well, and a typical
    > GUI or graphical application just call the existing programs, if they
    > are installed.
    >
    > One example. select a few mp3 files, and right click, and look at
    > "actions" Then install krename and try again.
    >
    > Get the idea ?
    >

    > /bb

    No - Yast shows that all available id3 apps are installed, and since (as the
    original post stated) the wanted functionality exits in Nautilus the
    problem would more likely be a missing kde rpm. Since I did an upgrade and
    it worked in 10.2 I would also assume the required kde rpm was installed
    because of the upgrade.
    -----------
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On 2007-10-10 13:41, Bill P wrote:
    > birre wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-10-09 20:52, Bill P wrote:
    >>> in 10.2 right clicking on a mp3 file provided things like bitrate, tag
    >>> info and playing time but not in 10.3 (info also does not show if user is
    >>> Root or using Krusader). The information does show properly in Nautilus
    >>> so it is available to the system.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,

    >> The function of your applications depend on what features you have
    >> installed, they are dynamic.
    >>
    >> Just open Yast (/sbin/yast2 sw_single)
    >> Search for id3 , install it, and then your apps will show the tags.
    >>
    >> Windows and linux is a bit different here, where a windows app will have
    >> EVERYTING in the same application (but always has something missing) ,
    >> but a Linux program just do one thing but do it well, and a typical
    >> GUI or graphical application just call the existing programs, if they
    >> are installed.
    >>
    >> One example. select a few mp3 files, and right click, and look at
    >> "actions" Then install krename and try again.
    >>
    >> Get the idea ?
    >>

    >> /bb

    > No - Yast shows that all available id3 apps are installed, and since (as the
    > original post stated) the wanted functionality exits in Nautilus the
    > problem would more likely be a missing kde rpm. Since I did an upgrade and
    > it worked in 10.2 I would also assume the required kde rpm was installed
    > because of the upgrade.
    > -----------
    > Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

    Ok, I was doing something else, and maybe didn't read so carefully , and
    did not write well either :-)
    I do not say that windows don't plugin other codecs and programs and linux
    applications always do it, it's just a trend that windows applications are
    more "all_in_one", to sell a box with many listed (own) features.

    You have right, if you upgrade, you should get what you had, but if you had
    packmans repository added, you maybe upgraded some packages to a version
    not listed as "supported" , and it got lost, but it should tell you about that.
    You should have saved an output from rpm -qa before upgrade :-)

    Try to create a new user and test from there, so you can exclude your personal
    rcfiles in .kde/something.

    I have only done ONE upgrade 10.2 to 10.3 but that was not my machine, and I
    don't know yet if everything still works.

    The safest way is to reserve another partition with the same size as root,
    and with next release, do a full reinstall using that partition, and mount the
    old /home. Then you have dual boot, and can boot the old release if there is
    problems. Suse will in that case find the old root/etc and import
    passwords/groups from it. And when another release is out, use the first root
    again.....

    /bb

  5. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    birre wrote:

    > On 2007-10-10 13:41, Bill P wrote:
    >> birre wrote:

    > You have right, if you upgrade, you should get what you had, but if you
    > had packmans repository added, you maybe upgraded some packages to a
    > version not listed as "supported" , and it got lost, but it should tell
    > you about that. You should have saved an output from rpm -qa before
    > upgrade :-)
    >
    > Try to create a new user and test from there, so you can exclude your
    > personal rcfiles in .kde/something.
    >

    > /bb

    Creating a new user and trying the right click on a mp3 file did not work, I
    once again checked and I have pretty much all kde and all id3 rpm's loaded.

    The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    has this capability or heck if I know.

    Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?

    thanks,

    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  6. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Bill P wrote:-

    >The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    >has this capability or heck if I know.
    >
    >Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?

    Works for me with KDE on openSUSE 10.3 on a PPC system installed from
    the DVD. It doesn't work for me on the 32bit x86 system, but that is
    still waiting for me to upgrade it from 10.3 RC1 to 10.3 GM.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

  7. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On 2007-10-11 16:27, Bill P wrote:
    > birre wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-10-10 13:41, Bill P wrote:
    >>> birre wrote:

    >> You have right, if you upgrade, you should get what you had, but if you
    >> had packmans repository added, you maybe upgraded some packages to a
    >> version not listed as "supported" , and it got lost, but it should tell
    >> you about that. You should have saved an output from rpm -qa before
    >> upgrade :-)
    >>
    >> Try to create a new user and test from there, so you can exclude your
    >> personal rcfiles in .kde/something.
    >>

    >> /bb

    > Creating a new user and trying the right click on a mp3 file did not work, I
    > once again checked and I have pretty much all kde and all id3 rpm's loaded.
    >
    > The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    > has this capability or heck if I know.
    >
    > Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?
    >
    > thanks,

    My only 10.3 install is still at the latest beta, and I didn't even install
    any mp3 support on that, I was just testing cyrus and LAMP things on it, and
    that machine run 10.2 as default boot.

    I was to early to comment here :-) .

    But since the 10.3 torrent seems very popular, there must be others who
    can tell if they have the same problem.

    I will have an upgrade weekend now, and then see if I can beat it.

    /bb

  8. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On 2007-10-11 16:27, Bill P wrote:
    > birre wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-10-10 13:41, Bill P wrote:
    >>> birre wrote:

    >> You have right, if you upgrade, you should get what you had, but if you
    >> had packmans repository added, you maybe upgraded some packages to a
    >> version not listed as "supported" , and it got lost, but it should tell
    >> you about that. You should have saved an output from rpm -qa before
    >> upgrade :-)
    >>
    >> Try to create a new user and test from there, so you can exclude your
    >> personal rcfiles in .kde/something.
    >>

    >> /bb

    > Creating a new user and trying the right click on a mp3 file did not work, I
    > once again checked and I have pretty much all kde and all id3 rpm's loaded.
    >
    > The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    > has this capability or heck if I know.
    >
    > Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?
    >
    > thanks,

    I installed 10.3 this weekend, and as you say, mp3info is missing.

    Since I use the same $home as 10.2 it was not my personal KDE settings,
    so I compared installed packages from 10.2, and found kid3 and musicman was
    missing in 10.3.

    Since they are packman pagages, I added packman.
    From now (10.3) this is done by a click in YaST , with a new function where
    you get a list of them, so adding packman, nvidia, ati, videolan is just
    click,click,click , and accept the gpgkey for each of them.

    After kid3 and musicman was installed, it worked as before, mp3info is shown.

    /bb

  9. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    birre wrote:

    > On 2007-10-11 16:27, Bill P wrote:
    >> birre wrote:

    >>> You have right, if you upgrade, you should get what you had, but if you
    >>> had packmans repository added, you maybe upgraded some packages to a
    >>> version not listed as "supported" , and it got lost, but it should tell
    >>> you about that. You should have saved an output from rpm -qa before
    >>> upgrade :-)
    >>>
    >>> Try to create a new user and test from there, so you can exclude your
    >>> personal rcfiles in .kde/something.
    >>>

    >>> /bb

    >> Creating a new user and trying the right click on a mp3 file did not
    >> work, I once again checked and I have pretty much all kde and all id3
    >> rpm's loaded.
    >>
    >> The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    >> has this capability or heck if I know.
    >>
    >> Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>

    > I installed 10.3 this weekend, and as you say, mp3info is missing.
    >
    > Since I use the same $home as 10.2 it was not my personal KDE settings,
    > so I compared installed packages from 10.2, and found kid3 and musicman
    > was missing in 10.3.
    >
    > Since they are packman pagages, I added packman.
    > From now (10.3) this is done by a click in YaST , with a new function
    > where
    > you get a list of them, so adding packman, nvidia, ati, videolan is just
    > click,click,click , and accept the gpgkey for each of them.
    >
    > After kid3 and musicman was installed, it worked as before, mp3info is
    > shown.
    >
    > /bb

    I have kid3 (which is just a tagger, might have compiled it myself) and
    musicman won't compile for me under 10.3 (packman has a 10.3 i586 but not
    x64 rpm). But this functionality shouldn't be related to either.
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.7, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  10. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    On 2007-10-15 13:34, Bill P wrote:
    > birre wrote:

    >>> Creating a new user and trying the right click on a mp3 file did not
    >>> work, I once again checked and I have pretty much all kde and all id3
    >>> rpm's loaded.
    >>>
    >>> The issue is either something is missing that I can't find, kde no longer
    >>> has this capability or heck if I know.
    >>>
    >>> Does the r-click work for you on mp3 files?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>

    >> I installed 10.3 this weekend, and as you say, mp3info is missing.
    >>
    >> Since I use the same $home as 10.2 it was not my personal KDE settings,
    >> so I compared installed packages from 10.2, and found kid3 and musicman
    >> was missing in 10.3.
    >>
    >> Since they are packman pagages, I added packman.
    >> From now (10.3) this is done by a click in YaST , with a new function
    >> where
    >> you get a list of them, so adding packman, nvidia, ati, videolan is just
    >> click,click,click , and accept the gpgkey for each of them.
    >>
    >> After kid3 and musicman was installed, it worked as before, mp3info is
    >> shown.
    >>
    >> /bb

    > I have kid3 (which is just a tagger, might have compiled it myself) and
    > musicman won't compile for me under 10.3 (packman has a 10.3 i586 but not
    > x64 rpm). But this functionality shouldn't be related to either.

    I don't use 64-bit for desktop due to all problems with some media,
    but normally I have another boot option for 64-bit,
    currently 10.2-64 that I use for video editning mostly, the only application
    where I notice a big difference with 64-bit.

    But my new machine is so fast, so there is no need for it really.

    I searched in the descriptions, and musicman claim to be a plugin for konqueror
    to handle ogg,mp3, .... files , so I was hoping that was the one.

    Anyway, it works as 10.2 for me now.
    Try to make a new disk slice and install the 32-bit OS there.

    I have an old suse 9.3 LAMP server, and that one will be 10.3-64 , since it
    will not have any desktop running at all.

    /bb

  11. Re: mp3 properties not showing in Konqueror

    Bill P wrote:

    > in 10.2 right clicking on a mp3 file provided things like bitrate, tag
    > info and playing time but not in 10.3 (info also does not show if user is
    > Root or using Krusader). The information does show properly in Nautilus so
    > it is available to the system.
    >
    > thanks,

    Further research indicates that this facility is crippled in Suse (as they
    do with Kaffeine) and that the Packman version when available will provide
    it
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

+ Reply to Thread