Something blocking Java in 10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on Something blocking Java in 10.3? - Suse ; Seamonkey Plug-Ins shows that Java Plug-in 1.5.0_12-b04 is active and enabled just like in suse 10.2. But in 10.3, java will not work on any website. Tells me to download the plug-in. No problem in Firefox, just Seamonkey. Java is ...

  1. Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    Seamonkey Plug-Ins shows that Java Plug-in 1.5.0_12-b04 is active and
    enabled just like in suse 10.2. But in 10.3, java will not work on any
    website. Tells me to download the plug-in. No problem in Firefox, just
    Seamonkey. Java is enabled in preferences. Helper applications is
    totally blank.

    After suse 10.3 clean install (not upgrade) java appears in 5 places all
    with a linkable libjavaplugin_oji.so.
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update12
    /usr/lib/jvm/jre
    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0
    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun
    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-sun

    I created a link to the first one. I'm beginning to think this is a suse
    10.3 issue or setting. Comments always appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > Seamonkey Plug-Ins shows that Java Plug-in 1.5.0_12-b04 is active and
    > enabled just like in suse 10.2. But in 10.3, java will not work on any
    > website. Tells me to download the plug-in. No problem in Firefox, just
    > Seamonkey. Java is enabled in preferences. Helper applications is
    > totally blank.
    >
    > After suse 10.3 clean install (not upgrade) java appears in 5 places all
    > with a linkable libjavaplugin_oji.so.
    > /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update12
    > /usr/lib/jvm/jre
    > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0
    > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun
    > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-sun
    >
    > I created a link to the first one. I'm beginning to think this is a suse
    > 10.3 issue or setting. Comments always appreciated. Thanks.

    It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they can
    self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as being
    active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java panel
    will not open either.

    Dave

  3. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    On Oct 11, 1:10 pm, David W Studeman
    wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    > > Seamonkey Plug-Ins shows that Java Plug-in 1.5.0_12-b04 is active and
    > > enabled just like in suse 10.2. But in 10.3, java will not work on any
    > > website. Tells me to download the plug-in. No problem in Firefox, just
    > > Seamonkey. Java is enabled in preferences. Helper applications is
    > > totally blank.

    > > After suse 10.3 clean install (not upgrade) java appears in 5 places all
    > > with a linkable libjavaplugin_oji.so.
    > > /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update12
    > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre
    > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0
    > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun
    > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-sun

    > > I created a link to the first one. I'm beginning to think this is a suse
    > > 10.3 issue or setting. Comments always appreciated. Thanks.

    > It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    > including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they can
    > self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as being
    > active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java panel
    > will not open either.
    >
    > Dave

    If you have 64-bit versions, they will not work. I had no trouble
    using Seamonkey and the Java I installed from Sun (1.6_03).

  4. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    On Oct 11, 4:27 pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Oct 11, 1:10 pm, David W Studeman
    > wrote:
    >

    > > GeorgeW wrote:
    > > > Seamonkey Plug-Ins shows that Java Plug-in 1.5.0_12-b04 is active and
    > > > enabled just like in suse 10.2. But in 10.3, java will not work on any
    > > > website. Tells me to download the plug-in. No problem in Firefox, just
    > > > Seamonkey. Java is enabled in preferences. Helper applications is
    > > > totally blank.

    > > > After suse 10.3 clean install (not upgrade) java appears in 5 places all
    > > > with a linkable libjavaplugin_oji.so.
    > > > /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update12
    > > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre
    > > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0
    > > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun
    > > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-sun

    > > > I created a link to the first one. I'm beginning to think this is a suse
    > > > 10.3 issue or setting. Comments always appreciated. Thanks.

    > > It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    > > including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they can
    > > self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as being
    > > active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java panel
    > > will not open either.

    > > Dave

    > If you have 64-bit versions, they will not work. I had no trouble
    > using Seamonkey and the Java I installed from Sun (1.6_03).

    It was also the SeaMonkey from Mozilla. The SUSE version often does
    not like plugins.

  5. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    David W Studeman wrote:

    >It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    >including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they can
    >self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as being
    >active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java panel
    >will not open either.

    Has anyone tried *deinstalling* Java and then downloading
    the latest stable version from Sun?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans, still waiting for his boxed set
    to float to the surface.

  6. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >On Oct 11, 4:27 pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    >wrote:
    >> On Oct 11, 1:10 pm, David W Studeman
    >> wrote:

    >> > It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    >> > including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they can
    >> > self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as being
    >> > active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java panel
    >> > will not open either.

    >> > Dave

    >> If you have 64-bit versions, they will not work. I had no trouble
    >> using Seamonkey and the Java I installed from Sun (1.6_03).

    >It was also the SeaMonkey from Mozilla. The SUSE version often does
    >not like plugins.

    Has anyone tried deinstalling SeaMonkey and downloading the
    latest and greatest from the Mozilla site?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: Something blocking Java in 10.3?

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 11, 4:27 pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> On Oct 11, 1:10 pm, David W Studeman
    >> wrote:

    >> > It is indeed, I have tried everything that has all worked in the past
    >> > including installing my browsers and java in my home directory so they
    >> > can self update and are not crippled by a developer and java reports as
    >> > being active in ALL my gecko browsers but it will not execute, the java
    >> > panel will not open either.

    >> > Dave

    >> If you have 64-bit versions, they will not work. I had no trouble
    >> using Seamonkey and the Java I installed from Sun (1.6_03).

    > It was also the SeaMonkey from Mozilla. The SUSE version often does
    > not like plugins.

    For this very reason, I created a hidden file in my home folder a few
    distros ago named .gecko and installed the 32 bit versions of Netscape 9,
    Firefox, Thunderbird (not a browser but still Gecko powered) and Seamonkey
    all downloaded in tarball form from Mozilla. I also put a 32 bit version of
    the latest JRE from Sun in that same folder and link the java plugin to my
    plugins directory in .netscape and .mozilla. The latter has a common plugin
    folder for Seamonkey and Firefox. Not sure if Thunderbird uses it but it
    does display html nicely so it might. I don't have any of the browsers
    except Opera and by nature of my KDE install, Konqueror, installed globally
    from rpm anymore. There are a few libraries that allow some GTK apps to run
    without a full blown Gecko browser installed system wide. BTW, even the 64
    bit rpm of Opera is still a 32 bit browser last I checked.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread