10.3 nis autofs problem - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 nis autofs problem - Suse ; I have installed 10.3 and configured the NIS client and started the automounter. The NIS server has maps for passwd and auto.home etc. The problem is that ypbind binds to the NIS server and ypcat -k auto.home reveals the auto.home ...

  1. 10.3 nis autofs problem

    I have installed 10.3 and configured the NIS client and started the
    automounter. The NIS server has maps for passwd and auto.home etc.

    The problem is that ypbind binds to the NIS server and ypcat -k auto.home
    reveals the auto.home map, however if I type

    cd ~user

    where user is defined in the passwd and auto.home maps the home directory
    for that user is not mounted. I just get the error:

    bash: cd: /home/user: No such file or directory.

    this leads me to think that the automounter is not using the NIS map for
    auto.home. Automount is set to:

    files nis

    in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

    This behaviour is the same for all NIS users and I am somewhat at a loss as
    to what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.

    ROB

  2. Re: 10.3 nis autofs problem

    On 2007-10-09 17:24, Robert Flint wrote:
    > I have installed 10.3 and configured the NIS client and started the
    > automounter. The NIS server has maps for passwd and auto.home etc.
    >
    > The problem is that ypbind binds to the NIS server and ypcat -k auto.home
    > reveals the auto.home map, however if I type
    >
    > cd ~user
    >
    > where user is defined in the passwd and auto.home maps the home directory
    > for that user is not mounted. I just get the error:
    >
    > bash: cd: /home/user: No such file or directory.
    >
    > this leads me to think that the automounter is not using the NIS map for
    > auto.home. Automount is set to:
    >
    > files nis
    >
    > in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
    >
    > This behaviour is the same for all NIS users and I am somewhat at a loss as
    > to what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > ROB

    Do you have:
    /home yp auto.home rw ( and maybe -nobrowse for large systems.)
    in auto.master ?

    You can test to copy your auto.home map to /etc/auto.home , to check if
    there is an yp problem.

    Also, make sure /home is _only_ used by the automounter, it don't even need to
    exist as a real directory.

    /bb

  3. Re: 10.3 nis autofs problem

    "birre" wrote in message
    > On 2007-10-09 17:24, Robert Flint wrote:
    >> I have installed 10.3 and configured the NIS client and started the
    >> automounter. The NIS server has maps for passwd and auto.home etc.
    >>
    >> The problem is that ypbind binds to the NIS server and ypcat -k auto.home
    >> reveals the auto.home map, however if I type
    >>
    >> cd ~user
    >>
    >> where user is defined in the passwd and auto.home maps the home directory
    >> for that user is not mounted. I just get the error:
    >>
    >> bash: cd: /home/user: No such file or directory.
    >>
    >> this leads me to think that the automounter is not using the NIS map for
    >> auto.home. Automount is set to:
    >>
    >> files nis
    >>
    >> in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
    >>
    >> This behaviour is the same for all NIS users and I am somewhat at a loss
    >> as to what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> ROB
    >>

    > Do you have:
    > /home yp auto.home rw ( and maybe -nobrowse for large systems.)
    > in auto.master ?
    >
    > You can test to copy your auto.home map to /etc/auto.home , to check if
    > there is an yp problem.
    >
    > Also, make sure /home is _only_ used by the automounter, it don't even
    > need to exist as a real directory.
    >
    > /bb

    I have put the line you suggest in the local /etc/auto.master on the nis
    client machine and it works fine. I have never had to do this before with
    previous SUSE releases, right back to 7.3. Has something changed? It seems
    that the NIS auto.master map is not being read at all in 10.3.

    ROB

  4. Re: 10.3 nis autofs problem

    On 2007-10-12 19:14, Robert Flint wrote:
    > "birre" wrote in message
    >> On 2007-10-09 17:24, Robert Flint wrote:
    >>> I have installed 10.3 and configured the NIS client and started the
    >>> automounter. The NIS server has maps for passwd and auto.home etc.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that ypbind binds to the NIS server and ypcat -k auto.home
    >>> reveals the auto.home map, however if I type
    >>>
    >>> cd ~user
    >>>
    >>> where user is defined in the passwd and auto.home maps the home directory
    >>> for that user is not mounted. I just get the error:
    >>>
    >>> bash: cd: /home/user: No such file or directory.
    >>>
    >>> this leads me to think that the automounter is not using the NIS map for
    >>> auto.home. Automount is set to:
    >>>
    >>> files nis
    >>>
    >>> in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
    >>>
    >>> This behaviour is the same for all NIS users and I am somewhat at a loss
    >>> as to what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> ROB
    >>>

    >> Do you have:
    >> /home yp auto.home rw ( and maybe -nobrowse for large systems.)
    >> in auto.master ?
    >>
    >> You can test to copy your auto.home map to /etc/auto.home , to check if
    >> there is an yp problem.
    >>
    >> Also, make sure /home is _only_ used by the automounter, it don't even
    >> need to exist as a real directory.
    >>
    >> /bb

    > I have put the line you suggest in the local /etc/auto.master on the nis
    > client machine and it works fine. I have never had to do this before with
    > previous SUSE releases, right back to 7.3. Has something changed? It seems
    > that the NIS auto.master map is not being read at all in 10.3.
    >
    > ROB

    Yes, I think something has changed, but I'm not sure when.
    Once we was using nisplus on our suseclients using a Solaris nisplus domain, but
    some release (forgot which) had a very bad nisplus client, so we switched to nis
    maps, with passwords from ldap. The tag "yp" don't exist in the map auto.master,
    so we had to add it to the local auto.master.

    Also, the /net is broken since 10.0 or so, and still is :-(

    If server aa only export /bbb , you have no /net/aa/bbb , but all files in
    /net/aa/. , but if aa export /bbb and /ccc , it works , so you have
    /net/aa/{bbb,ccc}/.
    And indirect maps has never worked , like:
    user1 / server1:/export/users/& /archive server10:/archives/&

    But, at least things works good enough :-)

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread