10.3 GUI failure - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 GUI failure - Suse ; Greetings, I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE 10.3 i386. My video card is a PNY GeForce 6600 GT with 128 Mb of RAM and specced to run up to 1920x1200. It is connected ...

  1. 10.3 GUI failure

    Greetings,
    I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE 10.3
    i386. My video card is a PNY GeForce 6600 GT with 128 Mb of RAM and
    specced to run up to 1920x1200. It is connected to the monitor via VGA
    through an Avocet Switchview 1000. (My ubuntu box has no difficulty
    through this KVM switch) My Acer AL2216W has a native resolution of 1680
    x 1050. Install didn't seem to have any problems. When I boot from hard
    drive the splash screen goes garbled.

    From init 3 as root I have run:
    sax2 = garbled screen
    sax2 -l = garbled screen
    sax2 -a = garbled screen
    sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60 = garbled screen.

    I attempted xorgconfig and supplied appropriate information and got same
    garbled GUI.
    Then I attempted to hand edit using vi but although I've done that many
    times to get dual monitor systems running I'm finding that I can't as I
    don't either know a correct mode line or how to indicate which mode line
    to use.

    Acer AL2216W info:
    native resolution 1680 x 1050
    473.8 mm x 296.1 mm
    H sync 30 kHz - 82 kHz
    V 56 Hz - 76 Hz.

    Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

    Tom

  2. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE 10.3
    > i386. My video card is a PNY GeForce 6600 GT with 128 Mb of RAM and
    > specced to run up to 1920x1200. It is connected to the monitor via VGA
    > through an Avocet Switchview 1000. (My ubuntu box has no difficulty
    > through this KVM switch) My Acer AL2216W has a native resolution of 1680
    > x 1050. Install didn't seem to have any problems. When I boot from hard
    > drive the splash screen goes garbled.
    >
    > From init 3 as root I have run:
    > sax2 = garbled screen
    > sax2 -l = garbled screen
    > sax2 -a = garbled screen
    > sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60 = garbled screen.

    Try to autosync the screen when you boot and/or during booting. I have
    had it happen as well sometimes that my screen forgot what its
    resolutions are it is getting.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  3. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    houghi wrote:
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >> I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE 10.3
    >> i386.

    > Try to autosync the screen when you boot and/or during booting. I have
    > had it happen as well sometimes that my screen forgot what its
    > resolutions are it is getting.
    >
    > houghi

    I autosynced during boot and got a garbled screen. No change. If I was
    any good I would just use CLI to download the kernel source, make,
    configure and the nvidia driver and install them. But I've always used
    Yast and the GUI for these functions. I did google the install and
    nvidia suggests using Yast as it is simpler! If the splash screens and
    text didn't look so good I would think the video card was bad.

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Tom

  4. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE 10.3
    > i386. My video card is a PNY GeForce 6600 GT with 128 Mb of RAM and
    > specced to run up to 1920x1200.

    > Tom

    I decided to run man sax2 again. Got the idea to run
    sax2 -p
    Output identifies NVidia Geforce 6600 GT but states it is "AGP nv". This
    is a PCI-e card. Could this be causing my problem and how do I fix it?

  5. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:47:33 -0400
    Thomas Tootle wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    > > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > >> Greetings,
    > >> I'm attempting to get a GUI working on my new install of OpenSUSE
    > >> 10.3 i386.

    > > Try to autosync the screen when you boot and/or during booting. I
    > > have had it happen as well sometimes that my screen forgot what its
    > > resolutions are it is getting.
    > >
    > > houghi

    > I autosynced during boot and got a garbled screen. No change. If I was
    > any good I would just use CLI to download the kernel source, make,
    > configure and the nvidia driver and install them. But I've always used
    > Yast and the GUI for these functions. I did google the install and
    > nvidia suggests using Yast as it is simpler! If the splash screens and
    > text didn't look so good I would think the video card was bad.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    > Tom

    Hi
    Use yast (non gui version) on the cli to get your sources etc, then wget
    32bit version
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg1.run
    64bit version
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg2.run

    then as root user;
    init 3
    sh -q
    sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    init 5

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 7 days 0:25, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.23, 0.16

  6. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:10:06 -0500
    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:47:33 -0400
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >
    > > houghi wrote:

    > > > Try to autosync the screen when you boot and/or during booting. I
    > > > have had it happen as well sometimes that my screen forgot what
    > > > its resolutions are it is getting.
    > > >
    > > > houghi

    > > I autosynced during boot and got a garbled screen. No change. If I
    > > was any good I would just use CLI to download the kernel source,
    > > make, configure and the nvidia driver and install them. But I've
    > > always used Yast and the GUI for these functions. I did google the
    > > install and nvidia suggests using Yast as it is simpler! If the
    > > splash screens and text didn't look so good I would think the video
    > > card was bad.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestion.
    > > Tom

    > Hi
    > Use yast (non gui version) on the cli to get your sources etc, then
    > wget 32bit version
    > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg1.run
    > 64bit version
    > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg2.run
    >
    > then as root user;
    > init 3
    > sh -q
    > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > init 5

    The other option would be to set your vga mode at boot? The other
    thought was to try the sax2 command with -m 0=nv to set the default
    nvidia driver before downloading and trying the proprietary one.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 7 days 0:42, 1 user, load average: 1.92, 1.50, 0.93

  7. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:47:33 -0400
    > Thomas Tootle wrote:
    >
    >> houghi wrote:

    > Hi
    > Use yast (non gui version) on the cli to get your sources etc, then wget
    > 32bit version
    > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg1.run
    > 64bit version
    > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg2.run
    >
    > then as root user;
    > init 3
    > sh -q
    > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > init 5

    Thanks Malcolm,
    This step by step instruction did the trick. And CLI was much, much
    faster than GUI. I'll probably use this method to load the nvidia
    drivers from now on. I really appreciate it.
    Tom

  8. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:44:39 -0400
    Thomas Tootle wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:47:33 -0400
    > > Thomas Tootle wrote:

    > > Hi
    > > Use yast (non gui version) on the cli to get your sources etc, then
    > > wget 32bit version
    > > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg1.run
    > > 64bit version
    > > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg2.run
    > >
    > > then as root user;
    > > init 3
    > > sh -q
    > > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > > init 5
    > >

    > Thanks Malcolm,
    > This step by step instruction did the trick. And CLI was much, much
    > faster than GUI. I'll probably use this method to load the nvidia
    > drivers from now on. I really appreciate it.
    > Tom

    Hi Tom
    Glad it worked ok. It's even easier once you have the nvidia driver
    installed, there is a script callled nvidia-installer. Use the --update
    option to install updates, run with --help to see other options. There
    are others just enter nvidia- and press tab tab to see the others.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  9. Re: 10.3 GUI failure

    Malcolm wrote:
    > then as root user;
    > init 3
    > sh -q
    > sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    > init 5

    I would do `init 5 && exit` so I do not leave a root terminal open by
    accident. Even when I am the only person on my PC,I think it is good
    practice to get used to do this. That way when I am at somebody elses
    machine, O do the same.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

+ Reply to Thread