openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops - Suse ; I like to use 12 virtual KDE desktops with different apps running in half of them and the rest spare. In openSUSE 10.2 I could switch between them using + where x is the number of the function key and ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    I like to use 12 virtual KDE desktops with different apps running in half of
    them and the rest spare. In openSUSE 10.2 I could switch between them using
    + where x is the number of the function key and of the virtual
    desktop. In openSUSE 10.3 this works only for the first 4 virt. desktops
    (i.e. with F1, F2, F3 and F4). To get to desktops 5 - 12 I have to go via
    + or (even wimpier) use the mouse.

    Has anyone else had the same problem and/or know how to solve it?

    --
    Les

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Hi,

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > I like to use 12 virtual KDE desktops with different apps running in half of
    > them and the rest spare. In openSUSE 10.2 I could switch between them using
    >+ where x is the number of the function key and of the virtual
    > desktop. In openSUSE 10.3 this works only for the first 4 virt. desktops
    > (i.e. with F1, F2, F3 and F4). To get to desktops 5 - 12 I have to go via
    >+ or (even wimpier) use the mouse.
    >
    > Has anyone else had the same problem and/or know how to solve it?

    Well, duh, change key settings so that CTRL-F[1..12] switches virt desktops.

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Andreas wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >> I like to use 12 virtual KDE desktops with different apps running in half
    >> of them and the rest spare. In openSUSE 10.2 I could switch between them
    >> using
    >>+ where x is the number of the function key and of the virtual
    >> desktop. In openSUSE 10.3 this works only for the first 4 virt. desktops
    >> (i.e. with F1, F2, F3 and F4). To get to desktops 5 - 12 I have to go via
    >>+ or (even wimpier) use the mouse.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else had the same problem and/or know how to solve it?

    > Well, duh, change key settings so that CTRL-F[1..12] switches virt
    > desktops.

    Where do I do that? In 10.2 it wasn't necessary and + has
    always been the standard KDE way of switching desktops.

    --
    Les

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Hi,

    Leslie Danks wrote:

    > Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Leslie Danks wrote:
    >>> I like to use 12 virtual KDE desktops with different apps running in
    >>> half of them and the rest spare. In openSUSE 10.2 I could switch between
    >>> them using
    >>>+ where x is the number of the function key and of the virtual
    >>> desktop. In openSUSE 10.3 this works only for the first 4 virt. desktops
    >>> (i.e. with F1, F2, F3 and F4). To get to desktops 5 - 12 I have to go
    >>> via
    >>>+ or (even wimpier) use the mouse.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else had the same problem and/or know how to solve it?

    >> Well, duh, change key settings so that CTRL-F[1..12] switches virt
    >> desktops.

    > Where do I do that? In 10.2 it wasn't necessary and + has
    > always been the standard KDE way of switching desktops.

    Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever it is
    in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:

    [...]

    >> Where do I do that? In 10.2 it wasn't necessary and + has
    >> always been the standard KDE way of switching desktops.

    > Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever it
    > is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as Accessibility> , figured out an
    alternative solution and overlooked , which (as you
    say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general daftness...
    (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via the Control
    Centre.)

    Thanks very much for your help.

    --
    Les

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Leslie Danks wrote:

    >> Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever it
    >> is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    > Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as > and Accessibility> , figured out an
    > alternative solution and overlooked , which (as you
    > say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general
    > daftness... (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via the
    > Control Centre.)

    I've got it set to a different language and the translation teams pretty
    much cover all of KDE (and others), so I don't know how GUI elements are
    called originally.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  7. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever
    >>> it is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    >> Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as >> and Accessibility> , figured out
    >> an alternative solution and overlooked , which (as
    >> you say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general
    >> daftness... (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via the
    >> Control Centre.)

    > I've got it set to a different language and the translation teams pretty
    > much cover all of KDE (and others), so I don't know how GUI elements are
    > called originally.

    Actually, having looked, Control Centre does have the menu item and Accessibility>, which (I would say) is not a very instinctive place to
    look for keyboard shortcuts. I am now scouring the menus, looking for how
    to set up KDE to make the coffee.

    --
    Les

  8. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:31:52 +0200, Leslie Danks wrote:

    > Andreas Stieger wrote:
    >
    >> Leslie Danks wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> Where do I do that? In 10.2 it wasn't necessary and + has
    >>> always been the standard KDE way of switching desktops.

    >> Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever
    >> it is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    > Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as > and Accessibility> , figured out
    > an alternative solution and overlooked , which (as
    > you say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general
    > daftness... (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via
    > the Control Centre.)
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.

    Control Centre and Accessibility>

    and to be totally pedantic, enter Ctrl+Fi against The Desktop i not
    already changed.

  9. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    On Oct 10, 3:37 am, graham wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:31:52 +0200, Leslie Danks wrote:
    > > Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > >> Leslie Danks wrote:

    > > [...]

    > >> Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever
    > >> it is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    > > Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as > > and Accessibility> , figured out
    > > an alternative solution and overlooked , which (as
    > > you say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general
    > > daftness... (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via
    > > the Control Centre.)

    > > Thanks very much for your help.

    > Control Centre and Accessibility>
    >

    > and to be totally pedantic, enter Ctrl+Fi against The Desktop i not
    > already changed.

    I tried this using the windows key (Win+1, Win+2,....). It does not
    work. Any ideas?

  10. Re: openSUSE 10.3 - KDE - virtual desktops

    On Oct 10, 3:37 am, graham wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:31:52 +0200, Leslie Danks wrote:
    > > Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > >> Leslie Danks wrote:

    > > [...]

    > >> Well, control center, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut series. Or whatever
    > >> it is in english. I can't believe you haven't looked there yet.

    > > Well, actually [embarrassed cough], I got as far as > > and Accessibility> , figured out
    > > an alternative solution and overlooked , which (as
    > > you say) is what I was looking for. Wood for the trees plus general
    > > daftness... (Just for the record, I don't think you can get to it via
    > > the Control Centre.)

    > > Thanks very much for your help.

    > Control Centre and Accessibility>
    >

    > and to be totally pedantic, enter Ctrl+Fi against The Desktop i not
    > already changed.

    Oops, I did the wrong items. It does work. Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread