hello to all - Suse

This is a discussion on hello to all - Suse ; hello to everyone. new to this site and linux. am running linux suse enterprise desktop 10set up to dual boot. l am from Norseman Western Australia and if there is any other WA people here l would like to hear ...

  1. hello to all

    hello to everyone. new to this site and linux. am running linux suse
    enterprise desktop 10set up to dual boot. l am from Norseman Western
    Australia and if there is any other WA people here l would like to
    hear from you. this is my first time with linux and l am having a
    problem dialing up to the net. l have put all the settings in that l
    think are right but nothing. Would be great if l could call someone
    from WA for some phone support on getting the internet up and going.
    Anyway great site am glad to of found it.

  2. Re: hello to all

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    <1191921665.793426.28190@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, juststrollen wrote:

    >hello to everyone. new to this site and linux.

    Welcome to Linux - but this isn't a web-site or forum. This is a
    Usenet newsgroup. Your post is distributed to news servers located
    around the world, and others can read it and respond from there. It
    may take an hour or two for the posts to slosh around, but eventually
    it's available everywhere. I'm reading this about 1000 KM East of
    half way around the world from you (600 KM East of Los Angeles).

    >l am from Norseman Western Australia and if there is any other WA
    >people here l would like to hear from you.

    They have people in Norseman? I thought it was just the western end of
    the Eyre Highway. ;-)

    >this is my first time with linux and l am having a problem dialing up
    >to the net. l have put all the settings in that l think are right but
    >nothing.

    This is like telling people that you can't drive to Kalgoorie, but not
    providing little details like the type of vehicle, whether is has
    petrol, tyres, a motor and such, the battery isn't flat, and even if
    you have the key, can see, are old enough to drive and have a drivers
    license of some kind. If you are expecting help, you need to provide
    some information.

    Let's start by identifying what kind of modem - how does it connect or
    where is it installed. Can you hear anything when you try to connect
    (dial tone, dialing, another modem answering)? Then the little minor
    question of "which tool" are you using? Does the computer catch on fire
    when you try to dial? Details, man - we need details.

    >Would be great if l could call someone from WA for some phone support
    >on getting the internet up and going.

    No matter - they're still going to need those details. What error
    message are you getting - or is this some icon you are clicking on and
    you can't find where the errors are being displayed?

    >Anyway great site am glad to of found it.

    You are posting from Telstra IP space, and I'm sure they have a full
    news spool available. While there are only 17 sanctioned Linux groups
    in the Big-Eight hierarchy (all in comp.os.linux.*), your news server
    probably also carries a substantial number of other groups, such as
    this one. But none of them are going to be useful unless you tell
    people what you have, what you are doing, and what happens. We can't
    see your computer from here, so you have to be our eyes and ears.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread