Linux dummy with Mplayer problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Linux dummy with Mplayer problem - Suse ; Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install Mplayer? It ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

  2. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:14:26 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:

    > Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    > Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    > really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    > Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    In YaST2 this took me about 4 or 5 clicks. Use the tools the system gives
    you.

    If you wanted to do everything by hand you'd be using Slackware, right?

  3. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    On 2007-10-09 08:14, GeorgeW wrote:
    > Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    > Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    > really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    > Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    You should understand it if you where on the other side of the problem,
    like a packager for the packman team, where they have build packages
    for 10.3 beta, and then opensuse 10.3 get released, and even before
    they can upgrade their own machines, you expect it to work without errors.

    /bb

  4. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    birre wrote:
    > On 2007-10-09 08:14, GeorgeW wrote:
    >> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    > You should understand it if you where on the other side of the problem,
    > like a packager for the packman team, where they have build packages
    > for 10.3 beta, and then opensuse 10.3 get released, and even before
    > they can upgrade their own machines, you expect it to work without errors.
    >
    > /bb

    Instead of MPlayer, try VLC at Videolan.org. It works on Suse 10.3.

  5. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:14:26 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    > In YaST2 this took me about 4 or 5 clicks. Use the tools the system gives
    > you.
    >
    > If you wanted to do everything by hand you'd be using Slackware, right?

    How did you do this with 5 clicks? I did use yast. Nothing seems to work
    in 10.3. Kaffine wants xvid. You install xvid, it still won't work.
    Seamonkey shows that java is installed and active. Java won't run on any
    site. I'm no linux pro. But everything I did to get these things working
    in 10.2 is a failure in 10.3.

  6. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    > Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    > really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    > Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    It's even simpler with 10.3. Because you don't need to specify the url
    of Packman, just enable it in the community repositories in YaST.

    Then type mplayer in the search field and say OK to everything.
    And do have your repositories refreshed when you do all this.

    It just works

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  7. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Vahis wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    > It's even simpler with 10.3. Because you don't need to specify the url
    > of Packman, just enable it in the community repositories in YaST.
    >
    > Then type mplayer in the search field and say OK to everything.
    > And do have your repositories refreshed when you do all this.
    >
    > It just works
    >
    > Vahis

    Thanks Vahis. It worked. See - I really an a dummy. You got to tell me
    every little thing.

  8. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:51:54 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:14:26 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:
    >>
    >>> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >>> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >>> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >>> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    >> In YaST2 this took me about 4 or 5 clicks. Use the tools the system gives
    >> you.
    >>
    >> If you wanted to do everything by hand you'd be using Slackware, right?

    > How did you do this with 5 clicks? I did use yast. Nothing seems to work
    > in 10.3. Kaffine wants xvid. You install xvid, it still won't work.
    > Seamonkey shows that java is installed and active. Java won't run on any
    > site. I'm no linux pro. But everything I did to get these things working
    > in 10.2 is a failure in 10.3.

    I'm assuming that you added the Packman repository in YaST.

    YaST | software management | search for Mplayer | check mplayer | click
    accept is all I needed to do.

  9. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:51:54 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> In YaST2 this took me about 4 or 5 clicks. Use the tools the system gives
    >>> you.
    >>>
    >>> If you wanted to do everything by hand you'd be using Slackware, right?

    >> How did you do this with 5 clicks? I did use yast. Nothing seems to work
    >> in 10.3. Kaffine wants xvid. You install xvid, it still won't work.
    >> Seamonkey shows that java is installed and active. Java won't run on any
    >> site. I'm no linux pro. But everything I did to get these things working
    >> in 10.2 is a failure in 10.3.

    > I'm assuming that you added the Packman repository in YaST.
    >
    > YaST | software management | search for Mplayer | check mplayer | click
    > accept is all I needed to do.

    Yes I did. That was all it took. There is one minor problem with
    Mplayer. Every time it runs, it throws up a message that the face
    failed, but it runs anyway.

  10. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> GeorgeW wrote:
    >>> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >>> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >>> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >>> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    >> It's even simpler with 10.3. Because you don't need to specify the url
    >> of Packman, just enable it in the community repositories in YaST.
    >>
    >> Then type mplayer in the search field and say OK to everything.
    >> And do have your repositories refreshed when you do all this.
    >>
    >> It just works
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > Thanks Vahis. It worked. See - I really an a dummy. You got to tell me
    > every little thing.

    No problem

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  11. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    GeorgeW wrote:

    > There is one minor problem with
    > Mplayer. Every time it runs, it throws up a message that the face
    > failed, but it runs anyway.

    He wants a font.

    Open Mplayer.
    Go to Preferences, select the font tab at the top.
    Select browse and -> /usr/share/fonts.

    Select the down arrow on the "All Fonts" and select the font you want.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  12. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Vahis wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >

    >> There is one minor problem with
    >> Mplayer. Every time it runs, it throws up a message that the face
    >> failed, but it runs anyway.

    > He wants a font.
    >
    > Open Mplayer.
    > Go to Preferences, select the font tab at the top.
    > Select browse and -> /usr/share/fonts.
    >
    > Select the down arrow on the "All Fonts" and select the font you want.
    >
    > Vahis

    Thanks again Vahis. You have a special talent for giving answers that
    people can actually use.

  13. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Vahis wrote:

    >> There is one minor problem with
    >> Mplayer. Every time it runs, it throws up a message that the face
    >> failed, but it runs anyway.

    > He wants a font.
    >
    > Open Mplayer.
    > Go to Preferences, select the font tab at the top.
    > Select browse and -> /usr/share/fonts.
    >
    > Select the down arrow on the "All Fonts" and select the font you want.
    >
    > Vahis

    A quick note to add my thanks for solving this one for me too.

    Thanks:
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  14. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:39:22 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:

    > Thanks again Vahis. You have a special talent for giving answers that
    > people can actually use.

    Sideswipe noted.

  15. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:39:22 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks again Vahis. You have a special talent for giving answers that
    >> people can actually use.

    > Sideswipe noted.

    Not meant that way at all. I appreciate your contribution as well. As an
    internet-only user of linux, I only come to this group on the rare
    occasions that I have problems. Vahis has always provided great
    information. Many others like yourself know their stuff as well - but
    they presume I know my stuff too. I don't know jack about linux.

  16. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    > Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    > really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    > Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    Unless you really have to use Mplayer, install VLC which wouldn't force
    you to struggle with dependencies.

  17. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Zbigniew Sienkiewicz wrote:
    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    > Unless you really have to use Mplayer, install VLC which wouldn't force
    > you to struggle with dependencies.

    I'll try it. I did get Mplayer installed with everyone's help here. Does
    VLC handle Windoz Media? If not, I might prefer Mplayer.

  18. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    GeorgeW wrote:
    > Zbigniew Sienkiewicz wrote:
    >> GeorgeW wrote:
    >>> Trying to understand this. I install suse 10.3 clean. Try to install
    >>> Mplayer for suse from Packman. It says it has 45 dependencies. Do I
    >>> really need to hunt down and install 45 RPM's before I can install
    >>> Mplayer? It was simple with Suse 10.2.

    >> Unless you really have to use Mplayer, install VLC which wouldn't
    >> force you to struggle with dependencies.

    > I'll try it. I did get Mplayer installed with everyone's help here. Does
    > VLC handle Windoz Media? If not, I might prefer Mplayer.

    I'm not an intense VLC user, but so far couldn't find any problems. Why
    don't you install it (you can use YAST to do it) and give it a try?

  19. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Vahis wrote:

    > GeorgeW wrote:
    >

    >> There is one minor problem with
    >> Mplayer. Every time it runs, it throws up a message that the face
    >> failed, but it runs anyway.

    > He wants a font.
    >
    > Open Mplayer.
    > Go to Preferences, select the font tab at the top.
    > Select browse and -> /usr/share/fonts.
    >
    > Select the down arrow on the "All Fonts" and select the font you want.
    >
    > Vahis

    Just in case none of the fonts work as Vahis suggested (as in my case) just
    select any font you want, copy it to the /home/user/.mplayer directory and
    rename it subfont.ttf. I used the arial.ttf found in
    my /.wine/drive_c/windows/font subdirectory.

    Works like a charm.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  20. Re: Linux dummy with Mplayer problem

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Just in case none of the fonts work as Vahis suggested (as in my case) just
    > select any font you want, copy it to the /home/user/.mplayer directory and
    > rename it subfont.ttf. I used the arial.ttf found in
    > my /.wine/drive_c/windows/font subdirectory.
    >
    > Works like a charm.

    Instead of copying, you can symlink. Saves space. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast