openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem - Suse ; A clean install of openSUSE 10.3 on my Shuttle XPC fn25p, everything works great except the audio. The sound plays back VERY slow.... playback is about 1/4 the correct speed. The KDE startup audio clip sounds like a mournful funeral ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem

    A clean install of openSUSE 10.3 on my Shuttle XPC fn25p, everything
    works great except the audio. The sound plays back VERY slow....
    playback is about 1/4 the correct speed. The KDE startup audio clip
    sounds like a mournful funeral drumbeat. Streaming audio off the
    Internet also plays at this ridiculously slow speed.

    The sound card in the Shuttle uses the ice1724 driver. Thinking it
    might be a driver problem, I complied and installed a new driver from
    the ALSA-PROJECT site. No difference. I am guessing it must be
    something that is miss-configured. Any suggestions?

    This same machine had no problem with audio under openSUSE 10.2 or
    Ubuntu 7.04

    John

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem

    John Scudder wrote:

    > A clean install of openSUSE 10.3 on my Shuttle XPC fn25p, everything
    > works great except the audio. The sound plays back VERY slow....
    > playback is about 1/4 the correct speed. The KDE startup audio clip
    > sounds like a mournful funeral drumbeat. Streaming audio off the
    > Internet also plays at this ridiculously slow speed.
    >
    > The sound card in the Shuttle uses the ice1724 driver. Thinking it
    > might be a driver problem, I complied and installed a new driver from
    > the ALSA-PROJECT site. No difference. I am guessing it must be
    > something that is miss-configured. Any suggestions?
    >
    > This same machine had no problem with audio under openSUSE 10.2 or
    > Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > John

    Hi,

    I have exactly the same problem:
    on openSUSE 10.2 I had no problems,
    but after upgrading to openSUSE 10.3 the sound is very slow.

    probably any driver problem.

    cat /proc/asound/modules
    0 snd_ice1712
    1 snd_intel8x0

    I don't use my onboardsoundcard, only with index 0:
    driver: ice1712

    regards
    alex

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem

    Alexander Burger wrote:

    > John Scudder wrote:
    >
    >> A clean install of openSUSE 10.3 on my Shuttle XPC fn25p, everything
    >> works great except the audio. The sound plays back VERY slow....
    >> playback is about 1/4 the correct speed. The KDE startup audio clip
    >> sounds like a mournful funeral drumbeat. Streaming audio off the
    >> Internet also plays at this ridiculously slow speed.
    >>
    >> The sound card in the Shuttle uses the ice1724 driver. Thinking it
    >> might be a driver problem, I complied and installed a new driver from
    >> the ALSA-PROJECT site. No difference. I am guessing it must be
    >> something that is miss-configured. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> This same machine had no problem with audio under openSUSE 10.2 or
    >> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>
    >> John

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have exactly the same problem:
    > on openSUSE 10.2 I had no problems,
    > but after upgrading to openSUSE 10.3 the sound is very slow.
    >
    > probably any driver problem.
    >
    > cat /proc/asound/modules
    > 0 snd_ice1712
    > 1 snd_intel8x0
    >
    > I don't use my onboardsoundcard, only with index 0:
    > driver: ice1712
    >
    > regards
    > alex

    bugreport to:
    https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/

    there you can read a workaround which works:

    I've been googling for a while and i've found a trick that resolves the
    reported problem for ice1712 card:

    set via alsamixer 'Multi Track Rate Locking' (and possibly as well, 'Multi
    Track Rate Reset') to off (by typing 'm'). It seems to work :-)

    regards
    alex

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 audio playback problem

    Alexander Burger wrote:
    > Alexander Burger wrote:
    >
    >> John Scudder wrote:
    >>
    >>> A clean install of openSUSE 10.3 on my Shuttle XPC fn25p, everything
    >>> works great except the audio. The sound plays back VERY slow....
    >>> playback is about 1/4 the correct speed. The KDE startup audio clip
    >>> sounds like a mournful funeral drumbeat. Streaming audio off the
    >>> Internet also plays at this ridiculously slow speed.
    >>>
    >>> The sound card in the Shuttle uses the ice1724 driver. Thinking it
    >>> might be a driver problem, I complied and installed a new driver from
    >>> the ALSA-PROJECT site. No difference. I am guessing it must be
    >>> something that is miss-configured. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> This same machine had no problem with audio under openSUSE 10.2 or
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have exactly the same problem:
    >> on openSUSE 10.2 I had no problems,
    >> but after upgrading to openSUSE 10.3 the sound is very slow.
    >>
    >> probably any driver problem.
    >>
    >> cat /proc/asound/modules
    >> 0 snd_ice1712
    >> 1 snd_intel8x0
    >>
    >> I don't use my onboardsoundcard, only with index 0:
    >> driver: ice1712
    >>
    >> regards
    >> alex

    > bugreport to:
    > https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/
    >
    > there you can read a workaround which works:
    >
    > I've been googling for a while and i've found a trick that resolves the
    > reported problem for ice1712 card:
    >
    > set via alsamixer 'Multi Track Rate Locking' (and possibly as well, 'Multi
    > Track Rate Reset') to off (by typing 'm'). It seems to work :-)
    >
    > regards
    > alex

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread