Is Ktorrent always this slow? - Suse

This is a discussion on Is Ktorrent always this slow? - Suse ; I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. ...

  1. Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

  2. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:11:16 GMT, scott wrote:

    > I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    Maybe you didn't set it up right, and only have like two streams. I
    had about 20, and one was at 176kb/s. The others averaged 30 to 60kb/s
    and I got each DVD (x86_64 AMD and PPC64) in about 5 hours each.

    I had no ftp option. The page for the 10.3 daily build I got (I think
    it was a daily build) said bit torrent only.

    Anyway, both my PC and my PS3 are up on Suse 10.3! WooHoo!

  3. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:11:16 GMT, scott wrote:

    > I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    Just looked again, and 10.3 is at GM release! OK, so I start an ftp
    stream, and it goes at 170kb/s for a little bit, then throttles back to
    less than 60kb/s. :-[

    I'll just load up my OpenSuse Linux install, and let it upgrade
    anything it needs.

    ASCII ya later!

  4. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:11:16 GMT, scott wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >> download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >> go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >> DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    > Maybe you didn't set it up right, and only have like two streams. I
    > had about 20, and one was at 176kb/s. The others averaged 30 to 60kb/s
    > and I got each DVD (x86_64 AMD and PPC64) in about 5 hours each.
    >
    > I had no ftp option. The page for the 10.3 daily build I got (I think
    > it was a daily build) said bit torrent only.
    >
    > Anyway, both my PC and my PS3 are up on Suse 10.3! WooHoo!

    OK, that's good to know. Yes, I did no setup of it. Went to look
    for help on it and there was no help! Thanks for the idea where to look.

  5. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    scott wrote:
    > I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    > download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    > go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    > DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    I've always found the Suse torrents slower than http/ftp. I don't know
    why, but I always try them first, get frustrated, and do the http/ftp
    download.

    Lots of ISPs throttle bittorrent ports. Try using a nonstandard port(s),
    enable protocol encryption, and try not allowing unencrypted
    connections. That might narrow it down to too few seeds, but if it
    doesn't, it might just get you some extra bandwidth back that you ISP is
    stealing.

  6. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:11:33 -0400, Snorkelson MacBurp
    wrote:

    >scott wrote:
    >> I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >> download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >> go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >> DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    >I've always found the Suse torrents slower than http/ftp. I don't know
    >why, but I always try them first, get frustrated, and do the http/ftp
    >download.
    >
    >Lots of ISPs throttle bittorrent ports. Try using a nonstandard port(s),
    >enable protocol encryption, and try not allowing unencrypted
    >connections. That might narrow it down to too few seeds, but if it
    >doesn't, it might just get you some extra bandwidth back that you ISP is
    >stealing.

    Yeah, I didn't think of that one. Now that you mention it, I used to
    get 15Mb/s streams at kernel.org on my machine, and even got emails
    declaring how they take large file requests, and give them high priority
    and zip them along to you, even a TV commercial, but as far as I can
    tell, they throttle my DLs to 1Mb/s every time. I have even started at
    2Mb/s, and watched it drop on a site that doesn't normally do that, so I
    know it is my ISP. It is always 1Mb/s and always on streams that start
    out faster than that.

    I pay for 10Mb/s, and they throttle it. I should sue the fuchers.

  7. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    Snorkelson MacBurp wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >> download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >> go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >> DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    > I've always found the Suse torrents slower than http/ftp. I don't know
    > why, but I always try them first, get frustrated, and do the http/ftp
    > download.
    >
    > Lots of ISPs throttle bittorrent ports. Try using a nonstandard port(s),
    > enable protocol encryption, and try not allowing unencrypted
    > connections. That might narrow it down to too few seeds, but if it
    > doesn't, it might just get you some extra bandwidth back that you ISP is
    > stealing.

    I'm sure this is due to different policies among ISPs.

    I've always used Azureus. When configured by the wizaed it proposes non
    standard ports. I've always used one. You also need to open the port in
    firewall both TCP and UDP. NAT needs the same, of course.

    As for Suse I always get my full speed as soon as there are a few peers,
    my line is 1 Mb up and down, so my torrent speed is like a hundred kBs.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  8. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    Vahis writes:

    >Snorkelson MacBurp wrote:
    >> scott wrote:
    >>> I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    >>> download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    >>> go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    >>> DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

    Because the seeders you are downloading from do not allow fast uploads.
    You are not downloading from one site. You are downloading from 50 or 100
    sites, or varying speeds and loads. Usually after a while your ktorrent
    will find a high speed seeder and get most of the stuff from there. But
    maybe not.

    >> I've always found the Suse torrents slower than http/ftp. I don't know
    >> why, but I always try them first, get frustrated, and do the http/ftp
    >> download.

    It you can find a single fast site to tget them from that is almost always
    true. But it loads down that site. On the first days after a release, it is
    almost always faster to do torrent, but thereafter ftp or http may well be
    faster.

    >> Lots of ISPs throttle bittorrent ports. Try using a nonstandard port(s),
    >> enable protocol encryption, and try not allowing unencrypted
    >> connections. That might narrow it down to too few seeds, but if it
    >> doesn't, it might just get you some extra bandwidth back that you ISP is
    >> stealing.

    >I'm sure this is due to different policies among ISPs.

    >I've always used Azureus. When configured by the wizaed it proposes non
    >standard ports. I've always used one. You also need to open the port in
    >firewall both TCP and UDP. NAT needs the same, of course.

    >As for Suse I always get my full speed as soon as there are a few peers,
    >my line is 1 Mb up and down, so my torrent speed is like a hundred kBs.

    >Vahis
    >--
    >"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    >stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    >Linus Torvalds 1996.

  9. Re: Is Ktorrent always this slow?

    I got mine in about an hour. More or less.

    scott wrote:
    > I am using Ktorrent to download SuSE 10.3 and have been doing the
    > download for 6 hours now. With FTP I would have only about two hours to
    > go, but with Ktorrent, I have something like five days to go. I've got
    > DSL and the progress should pretty decent. Why so slow?

+ Reply to Thread