How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java - Suse

This is a discussion on How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java - Suse ; Yast2 has the KDE4 packages listed, and I installed them. How do I get 10.3 to use them? And I had a lot of trouble upgrading my system (64-bit dual Opteron) from 10.2. The installer repeatedly could not resolve the ...

  1. How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java

    Yast2 has the KDE4 packages listed, and I installed them. How do I get
    10.3 to use them?

    And I had a lot of trouble upgrading my system (64-bit dual Opteron)
    from 10.2. The installer repeatedly could not resolve the conflicts,
    even though I deleted just about everything. Finally I got it
    satisfied.

    But I was still unable to install gedit using Yast. It could not
    resolve the conflicts. Smart did it with no complaints. Yeah!
    Although Smart updated to a newer version and installed the default
    repositories, it failed to find repositories for things like Mozilla
    and Java. Where do I get them?

    Does 10.3 support Java 1.6? It seems not. Can someone give me the
    magic update-alternatives commands to update all the many Java links
    in /etc/alternatives, so that I can use the Sun distribution properly?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > Yast2 has the KDE4 packages listed, and I installed them. How do I get
    > 10.3 to use them?

    Hi Jim,

    create another user to keep user KDE/KDE4 settings separate.

    If you have automatic login enabled than either when you have desktop
    running logout or use Switch User to open new session. Type new user login
    name and password, select session KDE4 and press enter.

    If you have problem to log out press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the session
    and get login screen, where you can select logout and end this session.
    Actually I still do that to get out of KDE4.

    Don't be surprised with KDE4 status.
    People using openSUSE are used to have even alpha relative stabile, so KDE4
    might be a bit disappointment, but it is development version that needs a
    lot of work.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java

    On Oct 8, 11:11 am, "Rajko M." wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > Yast2 has the KDE4 packages listed, and I installed them. How do I get
    > > 10.3 to use them?

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > create another user to keep user KDE/KDE4 settings separate.
    >
    > If you have automatic login enabled than either when you have desktop
    > running logout or use Switch User to open new session. Type new user login
    > name and password, select session KDE4 and press enter.
    >
    > If you have problem to log out press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the session
    > and get login screen, where you can select logout and end this session.
    > Actually I still do that to get out of KDE4.
    >
    > Don't be surprised with KDE4 status.
    > People using openSUSE are used to have even alpha relative stabile, so KDE4
    > might be a bit disappointment, but it is development version that needs a
    > lot of work.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Rajko.

    I got KDE4 to start, but there seemed nothing I could do with it. No
    right-clicks on anything brought up menus. The gizmo in the top left
    of the desktop opened, but nothing worked, and it seemed to cover up
    other icons (and was immovable). I could not even get a terminal
    window up. I must be doing something wrong or else KDE4 is very much
    broken so far. It is uglier too :-(

  4. Re: How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 8, 11:11 am, "Rajko M." wrote:
    >> jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >> > Yast2 has the KDE4 packages listed, and I installed them. How do I get
    >> > 10.3 to use them?

    >> Hi Jim,
    >>
    >> create another user to keep user KDE/KDE4 settings separate.
    >>
    >> If you have automatic login enabled than either when you have desktop
    >> running logout or use Switch User to open new session. Type new user
    >> login name and password, select session KDE4 and press enter.
    >>
    >> If you have problem to log out press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the
    >> session and get login screen, where you can select logout and end this
    >> session. Actually I still do that to get out of KDE4.
    >>
    >> Don't be surprised with KDE4 status.
    >> People using openSUSE are used to have even alpha relative stabile, so
    >> KDE4 might be a bit disappointment, but it is development version that
    >> needs a lot of work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Rajko.

    > I got KDE4 to start, but there seemed nothing I could do with it. No
    > right-clicks on anything brought up menus. The gizmo in the top left
    > of the desktop opened, but nothing worked, and it seemed to cover up
    > other icons (and was immovable). I could not even get a terminal
    > window up. I must be doing something wrong or else KDE4 is very much
    > broken so far. It is uglier too :-(

    I told you not to be disappointed (as I was).
    To repeat, the openSUSE even as alpha worked fine as it was based on
    existing working programs. The KDE4 is brand new toy and what you see is
    just a very early preview where it goes. I agree that is uglier, but themes
    is something that comes last to be developed.

    To start programs you can use run dialog (right click > run).
    For instance 'dolphin' works. It is file manager.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: How to get KDE4? Smart triumphs again. Java

    On Oct 9, 3:51 pm, "Rajko M." wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > >> Hi Jim,

    > >> create another user to keep user KDE/KDE4 settings separate.

    > >> If you have automatic login enabled than either when you have desktop
    > >> running logout or use Switch User to open new session. Type new user
    > >> login name and password, select session KDE4 and press enter.

    > >> If you have problem to log out press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the
    > >> session and get login screen, where you can select logout and end this
    > >> session. Actually I still do that to get out of KDE4.

    > >> Don't be surprised with KDE4 status.
    > >> People using openSUSE are used to have even alpha relative stabile, so
    > >> KDE4 might be a bit disappointment, but it is development version that
    > >> needs a lot of work.

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Rajko.

    > > I got KDE4 to start, but there seemed nothing I could do with it. No
    > > right-clicks on anything brought up menus. The gizmo in the top left
    > > of the desktop opened, but nothing worked, and it seemed to cover up
    > > other icons (and was immovable). I could not even get a terminal
    > > window up. I must be doing something wrong or else KDE4 is very much
    > > broken so far. It is uglier too :-(

    > I told you not to be disappointed (as I was).
    > To repeat, the openSUSE even as alpha worked fine as it was based on
    > existing working programs. The KDE4 is brand new toy and what you see is
    > just a very early preview where it goes. I agree that is uglier, but themes
    > is something that comes last to be developed.
    >
    > To start programs you can use run dialog (right click > run).
    > For instance 'dolphin' works. It is file manager.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Rajko.

    I right-clicked everywhere and got no menu. Oh well, I guess I will
    stick to KDE 3.
    Thanks,
    Jim

  6. Re: How to get KDE4?

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 9, 3:51 pm, "Rajko M." wrote:

    >> I told you not to be disappointed (as I was).
    >> To repeat, the openSUSE even as alpha worked fine as it was based on
    >> existing working programs. The KDE4 is brand new toy and what you see is
    >> just a very early preview where it goes. I agree that is uglier, but
    >> themes is something that comes last to be developed.
    >>
    >> To start programs you can use run dialog (right click > run).
    >> For instance 'dolphin' works. It is file manager.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Rajko.

    > I right-clicked everywhere and got no menu. Oh well, I guess I will
    > stick to KDE 3.
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    I installed trough YaST all except language packages. Maybe that can make
    difference.

    KDE4 is currently only test version, nothing practical.
    Those guys that run openSUSE factory (testers) can play with and report
    bugs. KDE3 is for daily use.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.