Suse and kernel compiling - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse and kernel compiling - Suse ; Hi, I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git, successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through compiling ...

  1. Suse and kernel compiling

    Hi,

    I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git,
    successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive
    to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through
    compiling it, and getting the initrd right and grub.

    I used make menuconfig, but did not use make mrproper first. Should I
    have done that?

    I also succeeded with make install (seemingly, though I did not make
    rpms), but mkinitrd used some strange volume identifier, so the boot
    fails when it looks for that odd volume. It is as if I was supposed to
    specify something during mkinitrd but didn't do so.

    Grub got updated right though, and the new kernel stanza is there and a
    failsafe selection. My old kernel selection works, but the new one fails
    after it loads vmlinuz, etc.

  2. Re: Suse and kernel compiling

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:14:36 -0700, UltimatePatriot
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git,
    >successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive
    >to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through
    >compiling it, and getting the initrd right and grub.
    >
    > I used make menuconfig, but did not use make mrproper first. Should I
    >have done that?
    >
    > I also succeeded with make install (seemingly, though I did not make
    >rpms), but mkinitrd used some strange volume identifier, so the boot
    >fails when it looks for that odd volume. It is as if I was supposed to
    >specify something during mkinitrd but didn't do so.
    >
    > Grub got updated right though, and the new kernel stanza is there and a
    >failsafe selection. My old kernel selection works, but the new one fails
    >after it loads vmlinuz, etc.

    OK. The how-tos I have found are a little help.

    It seems I forgot to do my make deps, among other things.

    I'll do some more reading and update, and or ask for help later.

    Thanks.

  3. Re: Suse and kernel compiling

    UltimatePatriot wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:14:36 -0700, UltimatePatriot
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git,
    >>successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive
    >>to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through
    >>compiling it, and getting the initrd right and grub.
    >>
    >> I used make menuconfig, but did not use make mrproper first. Should I
    >>have done that?
    >>
    >> I also succeeded with make install (seemingly, though I did not make
    >>rpms), but mkinitrd used some strange volume identifier, so the boot
    >>fails when it looks for that odd volume. It is as if I was supposed to
    >>specify something during mkinitrd but didn't do so.
    >>
    >> Grub got updated right though, and the new kernel stanza is there and a
    >>failsafe selection. My old kernel selection works, but the new one fails
    >>after it loads vmlinuz, etc.

    > OK. The how-tos I have found are a little help.
    >
    > It seems I forgot to do my make deps, among other things.
    >
    > I'll do some more reading and update, and or ask for help later.
    >
    > Thanks.

    What about the openSUSE's official kernel 2.6.22 series? Does that have the
    UDF 2.5 patch applied? If not, you could download the kernel-source rpm and
    apply the patch. Then all you would need to do is: make && make
    modules_install && make install

    I get the 2.6.22 kernel-source rpm from here:

    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...nSUSE_Factory/

    It's a repo so it can be added to Smart or Yast (I don't use Yast though).

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: Suse and kernel compiling

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:36:32 GMT, Chris
    wrote:

    >UltimatePatriot wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:14:36 -0700, UltimatePatriot
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git,
    >>>successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive
    >>>to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through
    >>>compiling it, and getting the initrd right and grub.
    >>>
    >>> I used make menuconfig, but did not use make mrproper first. Should I
    >>>have done that?
    >>>
    >>> I also succeeded with make install (seemingly, though I did not make
    >>>rpms), but mkinitrd used some strange volume identifier, so the boot
    >>>fails when it looks for that odd volume. It is as if I was supposed to
    >>>specify something during mkinitrd but didn't do so.
    >>>
    >>> Grub got updated right though, and the new kernel stanza is there and a
    >>>failsafe selection. My old kernel selection works, but the new one fails
    >>>after it loads vmlinuz, etc.

    >> OK. The how-tos I have found are a little help.
    >>
    >> It seems I forgot to do my make deps, among other things.
    >>
    >> I'll do some more reading and update, and or ask for help later.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >What about the openSUSE's official kernel 2.6.22 series? Does that have the
    >UDF 2.5 patch applied? If not, you could download the kernel-source rpm and
    >apply the patch. Then all you would need to do is: make && make
    >modules_install && make install
    >
    >I get the 2.6.22 kernel-source rpm from here:
    >
    >http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...nSUSE_Factory/
    >
    >It's a repo so it can be added to Smart or Yast (I don't use Yast though).

    I even found the most recent on a suse site of 2.6.23-rc9 from a mere
    day or so ago.

    But yes, the patch will apply from the feedback I saw on sourceforge.

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...95&atid=300295

  5. Re: Suse and kernel compiling

    On 2007-10-07 13:14, UltimatePatriot wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just grabbed the latest snapshot from kernel.org with git,
    > successfully patched it with the UDF 2.5 patch as I want my HD DVD drive
    > to be readable and I was wondering if someone could step me through
    > compiling it, and getting the initrd right and grub.
    >
    > I used make menuconfig, but did not use make mrproper first. Should I
    > have done that?
    >
    > I also succeeded with make install (seemingly, though I did not make
    > rpms), but mkinitrd used some strange volume identifier, so the boot
    > fails when it looks for that odd volume. It is as if I was supposed to
    > specify something during mkinitrd but didn't do so.
    >
    > Grub got updated right though, and the new kernel stanza is there and a
    > failsafe selection. My old kernel selection works, but the new one fails
    > after it loads vmlinuz, etc.

    The FIRST think to do is make cloneconfig

    If you don't clone your current kernel, it's
    easy to forget some features needed to boot or mkinitrd.

    Then mrproper and menuconfig

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread