Grub desperate need help - Suse

This is a discussion on Grub desperate need help - Suse ; Hello, I've installed openSUSE 10.2 in a second hard drive in my computer and grub does not work properly. I have the following setup files: grub.conf sgmtech:/home/andreltr # more /etc/grub.conf setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,4) quit menu.lst sgmtech:/home/andreltr # more /boot/grub/menu.lst ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Grub desperate need help

  1. Grub desperate need help

    Hello,

    I've installed openSUSE 10.2 in a second hard drive in my computer and
    grub does not work properly. I have the following setup files:

    grub.conf

    sgmtech:/home/andreltr # more /etc/grub.conf
    setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,4)
    quit

    menu.lst

    sgmtech:/home/andreltr # more /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Oct 6 21:51:30 BRT 2007
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd1,4)/boot/message

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    linux###
    title openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 resume=/dev/hdb6 splash=silent
    showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 showopts ide=nodma apm=off
    acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    floppy###
    title Floppy
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

    device.map

    sgmtech:/home/andreltr # more /boot/grub/device.map
    (hd1) /dev/hdb
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/hda

    This is the configuration I've tried as well:

    grub> root (hd1,4)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

    grub> setup (hd1)
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
    Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd1)"... 15 sectors are
    embedded.
    succeeded
    Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) (hd1)1+15 p (hd1,4)/boot/
    grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... su
    cceeded
    Done.

    grub> quit

    The BIOS setup is:

    CDROM
    HDD-1
    HDD-2

    Any suggestion on how to solve this please?

    Thank you,

    André Luiz


  2. Re: Grub desperate need help

    AndreLTR wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've installed openSUSE 10.2 in a second hard drive in my computer and
    > grub does not work properly. I have the following setup files:
    >
    > grub.conf


    > The BIOS setup is:
    >
    > CDROM
    > HDD-1
    > HDD-2
    >
    > Any suggestion on how to solve this please?


    Use your keyboard (and then explain what the problem is)

    houghi
    --
    >>>> Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  3. Re: Grub desperate need help

    On Oct 7, 2:48 am, houghi wrote:
    > AndreLTR wrote:
    > > Hello,

    >
    > > I've installed openSUSE 10.2 in a second hard drive in my computer and
    > > grub does not work properly. I have the following setup files:

    >
    > > grub.conf

    >
    > > The BIOS setup is:

    >
    > > CDROM
    > > HDD-1
    > > HDD-2

    >
    > > Any suggestion on how to solve this please?

    >
    > Use your keyboard (and then explain what the problem is)
    >
    > houghi
    > -->>>> Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources
    >
    > for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    > do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    > then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less


    Dear sir,

    Thank you for the response. The problem is that when I try to boot
    the system without the openSUSE 10.2 DVD I receive only this message:

    Grub loading, please wait...
    (hd1,4)/boot/message file not found

    But the file exists!

    Thank you,

    André Luiz


  4. Re: Grub desperate need help

    houghi wrote:
    ....
    >>>>> Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources

    > for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    > do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    > then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less


    ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: Grub desperate need help

    AndreLTR wrote:

    > On Oct 7, 2:48 am, houghi wrote:
    >> AndreLTR wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >>
    >> > I've installed openSUSE 10.2 in a second hard drive in my computer and
    >> > grub does not work properly. I have the following setup files:

    >>
    >> > grub.conf

    >>
    >> > The BIOS setup is:

    >>
    >> > CDROM
    >> > HDD-1
    >> > HDD-2

    >>
    >> > Any suggestion on how to solve this please?

    >>
    >> Use your keyboard (and then explain what the problem is)
    >>
    >> houghi
    >> -->>>> Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel
    >> sources
    >>
    >> for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    >> do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    >> then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

    >
    > Dear sir,
    >
    > Thank you for the response. The problem is that when I try to boot
    > the system without the openSUSE 10.2 DVD I receive only this message:
    >
    > Grub loading, please wait...
    > (hd1,4)/boot/message file not found
    >
    > But the file exists!
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > André Luiz


    When you boot computer and open console, what tells:
    ll /boot/
    here it is
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 389120 2007-09-25 15:29 message

    BTW, you can remove
    gfxmenu (hd1,4)/boot/message
    from /boot/grub/menu.lst and grub will use text mode start.
    That is just to make sure that grub itself works than you can look how to
    get graphic screen again.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: Grub desperate need help

    AndreLTR wrote:
    > Thank you for the response. The problem is that when I try to boot
    > the system without the openSUSE 10.2 DVD I receive only this message:
    >
    > Grub loading, please wait...
    > (hd1,4)/boot/message file not found
    >
    > But the file exists!


    You sure it exists on the second HD on the fourth partition? Go into
    grub textmode and see what all the other settings are.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  7. Re: Grub desperate need help

    houghi wrote:
    > AndreLTR wrote:
    >> Thank you for the response. The problem is that when I try to boot
    >> the system without the openSUSE 10.2 DVD I receive only this message:
    >>
    >> Grub loading, please wait...
    >> (hd1,4)/boot/message file not found
    >>
    >> But the file exists!

    >
    > You sure it exists on the second HD on the fourth partition? Go into
    > grub textmode and see what all the other settings are.
    >

    Doesn't GRUB's (hd1,4) equal second HD, fifth partition? :-)
    --
    Virg Wall

  8. Re: Grub desperate need help

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 07:48:26 +0200, houghi wrote:

    [snip]
    >
    > Use your keyboard (and then explain what the problem is)
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources
    > for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    > do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    > then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less


    Houghi,

    Thanks for that signature.
    I laughed quite a bit reading the result.
    --
    James
    *Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address


+ Reply to Thread