Bit torrent - Suse

This is a discussion on Bit torrent - Suse ; I would like to try and download Open SuSE 10.3 and see it is one of these bit torrent files. Tried downloading it expecting some 4 Gig file instead I get some 3 Mb file. Is there some program outside ...

  1. Bit torrent

    I would like to try and download Open SuSE 10.3 and see it is one of
    these bit torrent files. Tried downloading it expecting some 4 Gig file
    instead I get some 3 Mb file. Is there some program outside of Firefox
    I have to run to download SuSE 10.3?

  2. Re: Bit torrent

    scott wrote:

    > I would like to try and download Open SuSE 10.3 and see it is one of
    > these bit torrent files. Tried downloading it expecting some 4 Gig file
    > instead I get some 3 Mb file. Is there some program outside of Firefox
    > I have to run to download SuSE 10.3?

    Try normal ftp download. The default on http://software.opensuse.org is to
    torrent, but you can change that to ftp/http.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: Bit torrent

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Rajko M. wrote:-

    >scott wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to try and download Open SuSE 10.3 and see it is one of
    >> these bit torrent files. Tried downloading it expecting some 4 Gig file
    >> instead I get some 3 Mb file. Is there some program outside of Firefox
    >> I have to run to download SuSE 10.3?

    >Try normal ftp download. The default on http://software.opensuse.org is to
    >torrent, but you can change that to ftp/http.

    Alternatively, open the torrent file using Ktorrent, Azureus, or one of
    the other applications that will use the torrent file to find the
    sources to download from.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  4. Re: Bit torrent

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Rajko M. wrote:-
    >
    >> scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to try and download Open SuSE 10.3 and see it is one of
    >>> these bit torrent files. Tried downloading it expecting some 4 Gig file
    >>> instead I get some 3 Mb file. Is there some program outside of Firefox
    >>> I have to run to download SuSE 10.3?

    >> Try normal ftp download. The default on http://software.opensuse.org is to
    >> torrent, but you can change that to ftp/http.

    > Alternatively, open the torrent file using Ktorrent, Azureus, or one of
    > the other applications that will use the torrent file to find the
    > sources to download from.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Thanks all! I missed where one could do a standard ftp. But I
    shall look for the programs you mentioned and give them a try.

  5. Re: Bit torrent

    scott wrote:

    > Thanks all! I missed where one could do a standard ftp. But I
    > shall look for the programs you mentioned and give them a try.

    It is button right from Torrent, and download was as fast as it can be.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: Bit torrent

    "Rajko M." wrote in message
    : scott wrote:
    :
    : ...
    : > Thanks all! I missed where one could do a standard ftp. But I
    : > shall look for the programs you mentioned and give them a try.
    :
    : It is button right from Torrent, and download was as fast as it can be.
    :
    : --
    : Regards,
    : Rajko.

    I've used the standard bit torrent. and its rubbish. 3kb download speed.
    frequently dropping to 0. Installed firefox on my other pc and downloading
    ftp. also tried free download manager. Same problem. that crashes heavily
    too.

    tried opting for cd but only got option for kde or gnome, its supposed to be
    5 disks how do i get the rest?

  7. Re: Bit torrent

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, ian wrote:-

    >tried opting for cd but only got option for kde or gnome, its supposed to be
    >5 disks how do i get the rest?

    Novell dropped the release with the 5/6 CDs. Now you have the choice of
    a single CD install for KDE, another single CD for Gnome, or a DVD that
    can install both. On top of that, there are also the live releases.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

  8. Re: Bit torrent

    "David Bolt" wrote in message
    : On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, ian wrote:-
    :
    :
    :
    : >tried opting for cd but only got option for kde or gnome, its supposed to
    be
    : >5 disks how do i get the rest?
    :
    : Novell dropped the release with the 5/6 CDs. Now you have the choice of
    : a single CD install for KDE, another single CD for Gnome, or a DVD that
    : can install both. On top of that, there are also the live releases.

    so i can get a running and working install from 1 cd? then what? download
    the rest as updates?

  9. Re: Bit torrent

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, ian wrote:-

    >"David Bolt" wrote in message

    >: Novell dropped the release with the 5/6 CDs. Now you have the choice of
    >: a single CD install for KDE, another single CD for Gnome, or a DVD that
    >: can install both. On top of that, there are also the live releases.
    >
    >so i can get a running and working install from 1 cd? then what? download
    >the rest as updates?

    Pick the one that provides you with the desktop you prefer. Install
    using that, enabling the OSS and non-OSS repositories at the very
    beginning of the installation if you wish. This will then allow you to
    add extra packages straight from the start.

    Alternatively, install just using the CD and then use YaST2 -> Software
    -> Community Repositories to add both the OSS and non-OSS repositories,
    and any others you choose. After that, you can then use the YaST2 ->
    Software -> Software Management to pick and choose additional software.

    The advantage of the first method is that you get everything added at
    once. The disadvantage is that, depending on just how busy the
    repositories are, you could find that the downloads are extremely
    slow[0].

    The advantage of the second method it that it quickly gets you a basic
    working system but then you need to add the extra packages after the
    initial installation is complete. This then suffers the same problem as
    before with possibly slow downloads.

    Overall, the second method is probably the better one. With the first
    one you may have to wait for quite a while to be able to use the system,
    whereas the second method lets you work with it while the downloading
    and installing continues in the background.

    [0] I tried a net install using one of the mirrors as the installation
    source[1]. Overall, the download speed was almost as slow as a 56K modem
    and on occasion a package download timed out. Thankfully it will retry
    the download in this case, so the installation did complete.

    [1] PPC install with a total of 4GB of data installed. It took around 15
    hours to complete and included one delay of unknown length, as I left
    the download and install going overnight and have no idea when it timed
    out, followed by two others the following morning where I was able to
    retry the package download almost immediately.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  10. Re: Bit torrent

    "David Bolt" wrote in message
    : On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, ian wrote:-

    : Alternatively, install just using the CD and then use YaST2 -> Software
    : -> Community Repositories to add both the OSS and non-OSS repositories,
    : and any others you choose. After that, you can then use the YaST2 ->
    : Software -> Software Management to pick and choose additional software.
    :
    ::
    : The advantage of the second method it that it quickly gets you a basic
    : working system but then you need to add the extra packages after the
    : initial installation is complete. This then suffers the same problem as
    : before with possibly slow downloads.
    :
    : Overall, the second method is probably the better one. With the first
    : one you may have to wait for quite a while to be able to use the system,
    : whereas the second method lets you work with it while the downloading
    : and installing continues in the background.

    thanks mate.

+ Reply to Thread